Opinion Ban on recruiting from certain other clubs?

Thoughts about a ban on recruiting people from Carlton?

• Yeah, good idea

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Nah, bad idea

Votes: 22 66.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the idea of this, but in reality it wouldn't serve any good purpose. If they put someone on the table worth getting, you would go for it.

Manchester United have a LOT more professional players to consider all over the world, compared to this we have a drop in the ocean of realistic AFL talent with which we can barter with so to impose a trading ban with any certain club would be shooting ourselves in the foot.

In the case of Carlton, it seems the flood of traffic is one way predominantly. We can't stop them eating our scraps but I wouldn't necessarily rule out poaching one of them if it suited our aims!

Stupid idea to block any source of getting players on to your list in a trade and salary cap system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In the main, I agree. However, from time-to-time, certain clubs have proven themselves to be almost impossible to deal with in a sensible way - e.g. ridiculous negotiation positions, no effort to seek win-win deals and being bloody-minded. In those circumstances, you don't exactly ban them but you do resolve to exercise extreme caution in even entering into negotiations. A case in point (not related to a trade) was Richmond reneging on our gate-sharing deal for short-term gain back around 2005 and shooting themselves in the foot.

My view is that, if we were to adopt the proposed blanket-ban in relation to Carlton, we would be acting every bit as stupidly as the Tigers back in 2005, with the result that other clubs would begin to wonder whether our administration (including the Football Department) had lost the plot completely. Eddie has built our Club to a point where we are admired as one of the best-run operations in the AFL. That, in turn, means that players and administrators want to join us. We don't want to lose this respect as a result of emotional, ideological, ill thought-out decisions.

We shouldn't recruit from St Kilda either

Che?

016287-luke-ball.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will do. Are you coming over for dinner soon? We never see you anymore...
As long as Dad tells me I'm his hero. Every time I go around he calls me a lazy flea-bitten waster for spending half my life in this forum. He also wants me to donate my genitalia to Collingwood but I'm refusing to do it before I die...

It got me wondering - what would you think if Eddie announced "Collingwood will no longer recruit any personnel - inside or outside the football department - who have been at the <insert the name of your most reviled club here> !" ... ?
It's OK, you're among friends, you can say Carlton.

Letting hatred and rivarly influence recruitment is a dangerous thing. Can lead to some truly stupid decisions, like the Barry Mitchell fiasco in 1992/1993...

No disrespect intended but I'm surprised this thread has gone even this long. Having a blanket ban on recruiting from any particular club is just cutting off your nose to spite your face. If there is value there, you pursue it.

I wouldn't limit where we recruit from. I think we should actually be bidding up contracts from rivals to make their list management more difficult. Make a play for Jamison - no way Calrton can let him go. Have a crack at Yarran. Force Carlton to pay.

Manchester United has over 1000 clubs they can request to trade with.

We have 17.

They can afford to not trade with 1-2, doesn't apply to AFL at all.

I wouldn't limit where we recruit from. I think we should actually be bidding up contracts from rivals to make their list management more difficult. Make a play for Jamison - no way Calrton can let him go. Have a crack at Yarran. Force Carlton to pay.

Yeah, get revenge for them making us pay an elevated price for Daisy.

Hang on, wait ... :p

Back