Religion "Ban The Gays" law, passed by Mississippi legislature.

Getz

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
I dont profess to understand how Christians think, but just look at the way they act.

They do worry about what others do and they think its in everyones best interest if everyone else is just like them.

Instead of trying to make the intolerant tolerant, surely its the wiser choice to just find more tolerant people.

Homosexuality isn't a choice.
Religion is.

You defend the right for the religious to impose new laws to persecute a minority.
You attack homosexuals for thinking they can continue to live in society.

Religion is.

You defend the right for the religious to impose new laws to persecute a minority.
You attack homosexuals for thinking they can continue to live in society.

No i do not.

The state of Mississippi is not "society".

Live and let live works both ways.

If you dont like over authoritave christian influence, move to a different state instead of living in redneck Mississippi.

Getz

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
No i do not.

If you dont like over authoritave christian influence, move to a different state instead of living in redneck Mississippi.
The state of Mississippi isn't a society? What is it?
It's started in one state, you don't think it will grow? Do you know how much influence Christianity has in Western society?

Live and let live...
Religion is.
Do you understand that?

You are saying, that people who chose religion, have the right to impose new laws, that ultimately force people to leave their homes?

Have you ever had to pack up and move? Let alone due to discrimination?
Moving a family across the country, is not as simple as a uni student moving apartments.

Getz

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Both my parents are gay, hence my comment.
So you would be OK with having to up and move, because your parents are 'bad', during high school?
Live and let live works both ways, so to speak.
It isn't live and let live at all....
One is creating a law to stop people from living their life without impunity (Homosexuality isn't a choice).
The other is not impeding anyone's life, unless they actively go out looking for reasons. Also, religion is a choice.

Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I dont profess to understand how Christians think, but just look at the way they act.

They do worry about what others do and they think its in everyones best interest if everyone else is just like them.

Instead of trying to make the intolerant tolerant, surely its the wiser choice to just find more tolerant people.

I am sure most people where possible do just that and don't associate with intolerant, sometimes, sadly it may not possible for whatever reason.

Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

You are making excuses for inexcusable behaviour!

I don't care what they think it is when they start with the actions and the words then I am offended. Is that ok?

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
The christians in Australia aren't really against gays, well the ones I know aren't, in fact some of the gays I know are christian, this seems to be almost an exclusive american thing all this hate.

Not exclusively, but mainly. The only good thing is with every day that passes, another insane Republican homophobic racist moron either says something completely stupid (or even better dies), and another young person looks at them with complete disgust and contempt.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
It's pathetic. Almost speechless. The only reasons I can think that this passed is (/ thanks Ben):
- the US are proud of their states' independence
- the bible bashers have a hell of a lot of political influence

Do remember though that Segregation was initially passed by various states & then the Feds stepped in

Look, I'm a teacher. I can assure people who are worried about this that homophobia is well and truly on the way out. There is hope.

Common sense will prevail. Even with a bit of a fight

They are. That's what contributed to the Civil War. Good to see they've learned a lot in 153 years.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
No i do not.

It is if you're born and raised in Jackson. Or Vicksburg, or Biloxi, or Tupelo. If all your friends and families are Christians and you don't know any different.

What if you don't realise that others think differently? What if you haven't been exposed to others thoughts and ideas?

I like the simple solution of moving away from Mississippi too. Yep I'm sure Louisiana and Tennessee and Alabama are all so much more enlightened.

You are making excuses for inexcusable behaviour!

I don't care what they think it is when they start with the actions and the words then I am offended. Is that ok?

Im not making excuses, im sharing a viewpoint that doesnt get all uppity about people who dont like them.

So you would be OK with having to up and move, because your parents are 'bad', during high school?

It isn't live and let live at all....
One is creating a law to stop people from living their life without impunity (Homosexuality isn't a choice).
The other is not impeding anyone's life, unless they actively go out looking for reasons. Also, religion is a choice.

Yeah i would be ok with that. Whats the big deal?

The law is not stopping anything. It is just a reflection of a backwards state.

If anything, it does the local gay population a favour by encouraging them to leave and find greener pastures.

Gays are impeding Christian lives, because they dont like them. It may be a choice but that has nothing to do with anything.

If I was gay I would happily leave the southern bible belt and live somewhere more tolerant. I wouldnt expect everyone to change their opinions because im a minority with a whiny voice.

Getz

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton

If anything, it does the local gay population a favour by encouraging them to leave and find greener pastures.

Gays are impeding Christian lives, because they dont like them. It may be a choice but that has nothing to do with anything.

If I was gay I would happily leave the southern bible belt and live somewhere more tolerant. I wouldnt expect everyone to change their opinions because im a minority with a whiny voice.
This is a surreal conversation.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Couldnt name any progressive states?

I dont see what the big deal about moving is.

I moved to melbourne from perth because of its backwardness. Its not that hard.

Could name plenty.

The big deal about moving? Not everyone has easy and immediate access to do so. And even if they could, why should they? Why should completely irrational bigots decide where people can live?

Could name plenty.

The big deal about moving? Not everyone has easy and immediate access to do so. And even if they could, why should they? Why should completely irrational bigots decide where people can live?

They dont. Just where they can shop.

Whats to stop the shop next door having a "Welcome Gays" sign up?

Getz

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
What about the people who cannot afford to move?
The law that has just been passed, has given power to discriminate...

Such a ridiculous notion.
A law that legalises discrimination against homosexuals, is doing homosexuals a favour?

Having something exist, that only effects you because you don't like it... isn't impeding...

You are agreeing with a law... that legalises discrimination... because a collection of people who chose religion... don't like them...

Bizarre!

If you were gay... you would be happy if a law was passed, to legalise discrimination towards you?
Going to call bullshit.

What about the people who cannot afford to move?

Then open a pro-gay shop next door. Or find somewhere else to shop.

The law that has just been passed, has given power to discriminate...

Laws do not give power. People will discriminate with or without laws. This law changes nothing other than a business owners freedom to choose how s**t or good his business will be.

Such a ridiculous notion.
A law that legalises discrimination against homosexuals, is doing homosexuals a favour?

Yes. Because they can choose to spend their money elsewhere and vote with their wallets. I wouldnt shop at an anti-gay store. A "no gays" sign will have me going elsewhere too.

Having something exist, that only effects you because you don't like it... isn't impeding...

Who cares if its impeding? You need to learn to tolerate intolerance or you are no different to these bigot shop owners.

You are agreeing with a law... that legalises discrimination... because a collection of people who chose religion... don't like them...

Bizarre!

Sure. People can choose whatever they like as long as there is no physical harm to others, in my ideal world. In the real world, bigots reign supreme. Get used to it.

If you were gay... you would be happy if a law was passed, to legalise discrimination towards you?

Gays will be discriminated against. Get used to it.

Going to call bullshit.

Response above.

Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You're an idiot.

I so hope you are wrong, and the amount of progress most of the free world has seen in regards to this over the last 2 or so decades, would tend to support the fact they you are. Eventually even the southern US of A will probably catch up.

Aug 19, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Gays will be discriminated against forever.

Get used to it.

Or move.
I so hope you are wrong!
And the amount of progress most of the free world has seen in regards to this over the last 2 or so decades, would tend to support the fact they you are. Eventually even the southern US of A will probably catch up.

Back