Banks = thieving bunch of campaigners.........

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Banks = thieving bunch of c..........

purple sneakers said:

Does anyone know of any banks that don't treat their customers like complete and utter c rap. Please let me know.

If you think the commercial banks are bad some of the things that investment banks do are far worse. At least commercial banks publish their fees and charges. Plenty of fund managers are sharks as well.

purple sneakers said:
why is that TC?

Because a Credit Union is not a Registered Bank, therefore a Credit Union actually needs a Bank to run their accounts through. If you have a cheque account with a Credit Union, have a close look at the cheques and see which Bank they are actually drawn on.

rick James said:
And for day to day banking, she'd be 100% right. Loans, investment etc. though you'd be kidding yourself.

Members Equity, no monthly fees, cheap loans credit cards etc.

ANZ don't charge any fees on internet banking (that I'm aware of). Because I've been with the bank for so long, and they started charging me with NON ATM transaction fees, I threatened to bail and they cancelled them.

If you go to them and say "I'm taking my banking elsewhere" then they can put an embargo on the fee charge. Just ask them and if they say no, walk away.

Credit unions are the other ones not to charge anything from what I'm aware.

I used to be the (voluntary) Chairman of a Credit Union in Melbourne. Fees are quite a difficult issue to manage. As a few people have said, if you have no fees then what you attract are customers from banks who come because they have low balances and high transactions (and hence get charged high fees at the banks). Often all they will bring to the CU is their transaction account and this loses the CU a lot of money (effectively those members with say a mortgage are subsidizing the transaction accounts).

So we introduced fees but waived them if you either had a mortgage, personal loan, FTD, insurance policy, basicially anything else along with your transaction account.

Credit Unions work on the basis of mutual benefit. If you only bring a transaction account to a CU then you are not benefiting at the expense of some faceless shareholder, you are benefitting at the expense of the other members of the credit union.

So, IMHO appropriate fees are good....because they influence behaviour of customers.

all clear said:
I am with the NAB and the dishonour fees are $50. Which makes me think about changing banks.

Well stop writting cheques out when you haven't got any money to cover them...........it's always someone else's fault isn't it. Try looking in the mirror first.

You'd probably be the first to whinge if they paid your cheque and overdrew your account too. No win situation for them.

gadj1976 said:
ANZ don't charge any fees on internet banking (that I'm aware of). Because I've been with the bank for so long, and they started charging me with NON ATM transaction fees, I threatened to bail and they cancelled them.

If you go to them and say "I'm taking my banking elsewhere" then they can put an embargo on the fee charge. Just ask them and if they say no, walk away.

Credit unions are the other ones not to charge anything from what I'm aware.

They will simply look at your account balance & if you ain't worth a few grand (debit or credit) they will say "seeya then".
10, 20, 50 or 100 years of "loyalty" means NOTHING unless you owe them heaps or they have heaps of yours. Generally speaking, people with big deposit or debts pay little or no fees (the bank makes money out of these debts/deposits). People with none of this pay bank fees.
I assume you were of "value" to them.

People have got to understand that banks are out to make money, and as much of it as possible. Not to be "good samaritans".

If there's a market out there for an expensive fee structure, it will continue to be in place.

Ah banks.

I got slugged a $20-$30 tax file number withholding fee when you need to provide the ********ing thing to open the account in the first place!

Lenny29 said:
People have got to understand that banks are out to make money, and as much of it as possible. Not to be "good samaritans".

If there's a market out there for an expensive fee structure, it will continue to be in place.
The Commonwealth Bank's original charter was to provide banking services to the community. Money was to be made on the way but it was basically a people's bank. Then the Government sold it off and turned its back while they closed branches and gouged customers.

The Australian population is geographically dispersed and some infrastructure or services are simply going to be loss-making. Successive governments have ignored that and followed the BS that the markets are the answer to everything. This makes it tougher to live in the country with more people moving to bigger towns and cities wher they often don't create real wealth, just property market wealth as demand increases.

Now we have the situation where the banks make up 25%+ of our share markets. This diverts resources away from real investment to portfolio investment which doesn't create long-term jobs and wealth for the bottom 70% of the population. IMHO.

Since banking deregulation
Service down/costs up
We pay a lot more for banking despite productivity gains from technology and banks working their staff harder.

Banks sure get great value for the money they "donate" to labor and liberal.

All part of the political protection racquet that is party political donations, that ensures our politicians represent the interests of multinationals over the average Ausie.

John Howard=Laughing all the way to the bank.

Appleyard said:
The Commonwealth Bank's original charter was to provide banking services to the community. Money was to be made on the way but it was basically a people's bank. Then the Government sold it off and turned its back while they closed branches and gouged customers.

The Australian population is geographically dispersed and some infrastructure or services are simply going to be loss-making. Successive governments have ignored that and followed the BS that the markets are the answer to everything. This makes it tougher to live in the country with more people moving to bigger towns and cities wher they often don't create real wealth, just property market wealth as demand increases.

Now we have the situation where the banks make up 25%+ of our share markets. This diverts resources away from real investment to portfolio investment which doesn't create long-term jobs and wealth for the bottom 70% of the population. IMHO.
Oh, I certaintly don't disagree with that - but the fact is now that the Commonwealth Bank is no longer a publicly owned company, and so now their only priority is the shareholders.

Unwritten_Law said:
Ah banks.

I got slugged a $20-$30 tax file number withholding fee when you need to provide the ********ing thing to open the account in the first place!
Blame the Government, not the banks who are merely collecting on their behalf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

smarter people than you or I worked out the maths of Godfer******** Banks back when our drunken anscestors were still calling donkeys from pubs, not cabs. ) Same Eetheemeopian in charge of the bladder-conveyance in either scenario, but all of us are from a somewhere.)

And those smartarses who could count 40,000 years ago...? Half of your bosses, half of your workers, half of your zombies and your Riewoldts and your Judds and your Del Santos' that you naturally avoid from day-to-day.... that's them ...

335+ of them will always be cooler than you, but it's best instead to get drafted by some important unbeatable principle that your heart will propel you through life @ Mach 10 like,.... (eliminates 98% of ism'ists you'll ever meet, but that's a judgement call, apparently,!) Oh but it's down to YOU!!!! you might be 15 or 45, but honest; IT never happens until you tell yourself "flock them & what they amybe think.... I'm me & I die far too soon... read the script... today is for me to........IT!!!!

who here cares about your employer of the week? Yawel No-one else should either.

Unles that f'ing KERRR came to collingwood. God bles three-triple-arrrr!

lihei said:
Blame the Government, not the banks who are merely collecting on their behalf.
Unless he is talking about the 49.5% tax on interest, I don't think the government charges a fee for not supplying a TFN. I never do on any basic account. Why give them more info than they need?

All the Tax File Number forms I've ever seen in my time working for banks state that it is not an offence to not quote your TFN, however full tax will be withheld on any interest paid.

Appleyard said:
Unless he is talking about the 49.5% tax on interest, I don't think the government charges a fee for not supplying a TFN. I never do on any basic account. Why give them more info than they need?

it's called Withholding Tax mate...........Bank's don't charge taxes............they collect taxes on behalf of the Government.

Hey just remember, the bank's job is to keep you in debt for the rest of your life - simple!

Tim the Toolman said:
Hey just remember, the bank's job is to keep you in debt for the rest of your life - simple!
You're right, they should stop lending money to people that don't want the money.

A bank's job is to make money - and if people are stupid enough to continue to be customers when there are cheaper, or better alternatives, then its no one's fault but their own.

Appleyard said:
??? :confused:

Withholding Tax??

Since when do banks charge that and not the government?

lihei said:
??? :confused:

Withholding Tax??

Since when do banks charge that and not the government?

Banks charge it and pass it to the government (same as they did for FID and DT)

TigerCraig said:
Banks charge it and pass it to the government (same as they did for FID and DT)
Banks COLLECT it and pass it to the government (same as they did for FID and DT)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back