Barrett article on Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-...ff-for-top-cats?camefrom=EMCL_276093_12936222

Barrett has written an interesting piece, lauding Geelong's hard decisions on list management, as the main reason for them being at the top with a younger line up. Hard to disagree, but whilst he clearly has a point, what he fails to mention here is that the hard decisions can only help the club if the recruiting is working so well, and there is the next generation of players ready to step up, as has been the case with Geelong.

If North were to move Petrie on, for example next year, or even Boomer, who will replace them? I haven't seen any huge excitement in VFL so far. Harper is stuck between form issues and injuries, Curran has never really had any go at it at all and is in grave doubt as to whether his foot will ever allow him an opportunity, and Garner has been struck by a major hamstring before getting any go at this season. One has to admire Geelong's continual ability to regenerate without any top picks, and be able to replace the likes of Scarlett, Ottens, Harley, Ablett, Corey and Chapman.

They've won bugger all ATM, just sayin'

Also our strength is our midfield, if we were ever to make a big call it would be offering up one of those for a player we felt filled an area of deficiency.

Please I am not saying off load Cunnington etc. Just that moving on Boomer and Petrie wouldn't achieve much.

Geelong have probably avg'd a top four finish over the last six years.

i hope Majak isnt shown the Daw anytime soon, he has to stay at NMFC if only for ongoing pun potentual, intended and unintended.
Agree. I think we need a dedicated "Majak Daw pun" thread. The winner becomes chief headline writer at the Herald Sun.

The players mentioned were as of last season not the most important in their position.

Podsiadly was never Geelong's best forward and had run his race, Petrie is our best and at this stage cannot be replaced.

All we would be doing is pushing out the players 23-28 in our best side for draft picks that are speculations. We don't have many 3-4 year players that are ripe to go as those blokes are already in the best 22. What works for them now might be applicable to us in 8 years time from now.

5 months of footy left but come end of the year we are going to be faced with some tough decisions ourselves.

Petrie, his end to the year will determine his future.
Harvey can he go another year, at this stage it looks like a yes.
Jacobs and Harper both have another year to run on their contract, but will it be worth paying them out.
Spud, McMahon could be finished.
Curran needs to start playing or its all over.
Eric Wallace, needs to show some promise or its all over.

Do we trade picks away or go to the draft?

The key to maintaining momentum is to make the change before you NEED to make the change. This is incredibly hard to do since it requires great foresight and even greater courage.

Most organisations keep going the way they have always gone until they plateau - at which point they waste time arguing about whether or not they have plateaued. By the time they decide to make changes, the organisation has already peaked, plateaued and is now in decline. Not only is the change too late but the change is made in an environment where there is zero momentum to effect the change.

Champion organisations make changes whilst things are still on the up. This is counter intuitive since most people would think - things are going so well, let's not make any changes.

But by making changes when the momentum is with them, great organisations leverage momentum to help bed in whatever changes they make. Provided they get the right personnel, the changes quickly launch them into a fresh growth phase - taking them beyond the point at which they would soon have plateaued had they rested on their laurels.

I think that's what Geelong are endeavouring to do. I agree with others that we are probably two years away from being able to say that it has worked ... but i like that they are smart enough and courageous enough to attempt it.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-...ff-for-top-cats?camefrom=EMCL_276093_12936222

Barrett has written an interesting piece, lauding Geelong's hard decisions on list management, as the main reason for them being at the top with a younger line up. Hard to disagree, but whilst he clearly has a point, what he fails to mention here is that the hard decisions can only help the club if the recruiting is working so well, and there is the next generation of players ready to step up, as has been the case with Geelong.

If North were to move Petrie on, for example next year, or even Boomer, who will replace them? I haven't seen any huge excitement in VFL so far. Harper is stuck between form issues and injuries, Curran has never really had any go at it at all and is in grave doubt as to whether his foot will ever allow him an opportunity, and Garner has been struck by a major hamstring before getting any go at this season. One has to admire Geelong's continual ability to regenerate without any top picks, and be able to replace the likes of Scarlett, Ottens, Harley, Ablett, Corey and Chapman.

Move on Boomer...guarantee pitchforks and flaming torches would come out if that happened. Never would because you'd have to be absolutely insane to even think of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Move on Boomer...guarantee pitchforks and flaming torches would come out if that happened. Never would because you'd have to be absolutely insane to even think of it.
That was just an extreme example to highlight that we have nobody else demanding their spots at the moment.

Don't forget. These guys were able to make changes because of the accomplishments they had achieved prior to needing to get rid of them (hunt, chappy). We haven't accomplished s**t. Would be a complete insult to both boomer and petrie, especially considering how much we still rely on them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back