Fact Barrie Robran's career

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
It's a pity he never came over to Melbourne to test himself against the best. From what i've heard he never really had any intention of doing so although to be fair to him he was still young enough at the time of his injury to change his mind & have a real crack at it.

There was a greater chance of Hell freezing over than Barrie playing VFL. The only reason he signed the Form 4 with Carlton was to get them, and everyone else, off his back.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
What position did he play?

Played mainly in the Centre, CHF, and ruck rover. I think you would say Ruck-rover was his main role, different to today, a ruck-rover in those days were tall mobile types who could help out with the knock ruckwork if required. No, never kicked a lot of goals, he did most of his work around the ground.

In his first state game v Victoria at Adelaide Oval in 1967 (his debut season), he lined up on Des Meagher on the wing, and handled himself very well, although Meagher probably shaded him on the day.

His best on ground 1971 & 1972 Grand Final perfromances were something to see, totally dominant in every way. Then he followed it up with a best on ground effort against Carlton in the 1972 Champions of Australia final. People still talk of him giving Alex Jesaulenko a merry dance, and Jezza standing, bewildered, and applauding him.

Butts_JZZ30

Club Legend
Aug 31, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've met him before, very nice and very humble bloke, in fact I even had a leg with him and Matthew when I was a kid. Not sure he appreciated my wobbly drop punts :)

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
I had Barrie Robran in my top 20 all-time player list. Robran was no.5 on the list, with Leigh Matthews(1), Wayne Carey(2), Gary Ablett snr(3) and Ted Whitten snr(4) ranked ahead of him.

Jascave

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2005
Sandringham
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Hampton Rovers
Robran didn't play very well that day, the Vics won by 6 goals and Phil Carman booted 5 goals for SA. Robran's state record wasn't all that great, but mainly because opposition teams tended to pay extra attention to Robran, hence nullifying his brilliance.

I agree with most comments on here, Robran was a brilliant player and certainly one of the best I've seen. I have no doubt whatsoever he would have been a sensation in the VFL. One trait that he has is a stubborn streak. He has a set mind and you cannot change it, no matter what.

As testimony to this, his best mate Bohdan Jaworskyj decided to try his hand at VFL football and signed for 3 years with the Hawks. Barrie was so fierce with club loyalty that he didn't speak to his best mate for many years after that. He just could not understand how anyone could leave North Adelaide to play elsewhere.

Bohdan Jaworskj could at least say 'I played in a VFL Grand Final (1975-even though he was on the losing side with the Hawks).' How many South Australians (apart from Malcolm Blight) up to that period played in a VFL Grand Final? After all, not many SA players made it over here in comparison to their WA counterparts.

Ebert80

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2008
South Oz
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He shouldn't have been made a Legend of the Hall of Fame ahead of other Sth Australians who came over & proved themselves in the VFL. Malcolm Blight is the obvious one who should be made a Legend, he was still a star in his last 3-4 years he played in the SANFL after his time at North Melbourne. His Margery Medal he won would've been at the time of Robrans peak also.

It's a pity he never came over to Melbourne to test himself against the best. From what i've heard he never really had any intention of doing so although to be fair to him he was still young enough at the time of his injury to change his mind & have a real crack at it.

Back in the 60's and 70's, the difference between the SANFL and VFL was nowhere what the difference is now between the AFL and SANFL. They were just 2 state leagues.

Whilst it would have been nice for him to demonstrate what he could do in Victoria, there was no huge reason why he would need to.

I'm not old enough to remember Robran play, but I'd say 98% of people who saw him play, say he was the best SA born player ever. All who saw Robran play, also would have seen Blight play.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Robran was also a good enough cricketer to be selected for two Sheffield Shield games for South Australia during 1971-72 as well as one domestic one dayer. Interesting to note that during this brief time he played with and against a number of other cricketers who also played senior football. His cricketing team mates include Eric Freeman, who played for Port Adelaide, and Ken Cunningham, who was a SANFL umpire during the 1960s.

Robran's cricketing opponents include VFL players Max Walker, Peter Bedford, Graeme Watson and Bruce Duperouzel (also a WAFL player). Other WAFL players Robran opposed as a cricketer were Ian Brayshaw, Derek Chadwick, Ken McAullay and John Inverarity.

worbod

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liverpool
Robran's record for Prospect Seniors in Adelaide grade cricket:

67 innings, 8 not out, 85 highest score, 1482 runs, 25.11 avge, 8 fifties, 26 catches, 2 stumpings.
1524 balls, 24 maidens, 714 runs, 38 wickets, 18.78 avge, 5-20 best analysis, 5wi twice, 40.10 strike rate.

Robran's record for Prospect Seniors in Adelaide grade cricket:

67 innings, 8 not out, 85 highest score, 1482 runs, 25.11 avge, 8 fifties, 26 catches, 2 stumpings.
1524 balls, 24 maidens, 714 runs, 38 wickets, 18.78 avge, 5-20 best analysis, 5wi twice, 40.10 strike rate.

Was a right arm medium fast bowler, think a lankier version of Ben Hilfenhaus

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Robran was also a good enough cricketer to be selected for two Sheffield Shield games for South Australia during 1971-72 as well as one domestic one dayer. Interesting to note that during this brief time he played with and against a number of other cricketers who also played senior football. His cricketing team mates include Eric Freeman, who played for Port Adelaide, and Ken Cunningham, who was a SANFL umpire during the 1960s.

Robran's cricketing opponents include VFL players Max Walker, Peter Bedford, Graeme Watson and Bruce Duperouzel (also a WAFL player). Other WAFL players Robran opposed as a cricketer were Ian Brayshaw, Derek Chadwick, Ken McAullay and John Inverarity.

Keith Slater, footy & cricket. Got a Test cap as I recall.

EDIT: Spud called it a day in 1968

Ian Dunross

Premiership Player
Mar 18, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Glenelg Tigers
Bohdan Jaworskj could at least say 'I played in a VFL Grand Final (1975-even though he was on the losing side with the Hawks).' How many South Australians (apart from Malcolm Blight) up to that period played in a VFL Grand Final? After all, not many SA players made it over here in comparison to their WA counterparts.

It's because there was no need to. They were playing against great football teams. The Glenelg, North, Sturt and Port teams of the 70s were all great teams.

There was no point in moving away from family and friends to play for clubs in Victoria you had no allegiance to.

Not many Victorians can say they've played in a Port-Sturt or Glenelg-North SANFL Grand Final in front of 50,000 at the Adelaide Oval. Same difference IMO.

240volt

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Back in the 60's and 70's, the difference between the SANFL and VFL was nowhere what the difference is now between the AFL and SANFL. They were just 2 state leagues.

Whilst it would have been nice for him to demonstrate what he could do in Victoria, there was no huge reason why he would need to.

I'm not old enough to remember Robran play, but I'd say 98% of people who saw him play, say he was the best SA born player ever. All who saw Robran play, also would have seen Blight play.

Robran never looked like he was moving fast but nobody could lay a glove on him.
I seen Blight play in North Melbournes first premiership ever,they invented buy a premiership and teams like Carlton perfected it.
Blight was a spectacular player that could win a game of his own boot,Robran was pure football class and the battles he had with Ebert will stay with me forever.
I still believe the most underrated south aussie to play A.F.L. was Peter Motley, if not for his shocking accident he would have been an A.F.L legend.

anthc

Club Legend
Apr 30, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
adelaide united
Heard him interviewed once & he would only refer to Matthews as 'that man' when the injury was brought up. The way he spoke gave me the impression that he played the game just for the enjoyment & couldn't understand why someone would've gone out of their way to hurt anyone in the course of the game.

What position did he play? I'm only 33 & never even seen footage. Stats shown whould give me the impression that he was an on-baller who could take a lot of marks as he seemed to get a lot of possessions but he didn't kick a huge amount of goals.

Whatever you think of Matthews & certain incidents in his career he was an on-baller for the vast majority of his career & kicked over 900 goals which is just amazing. Unless Robran had at least 6 goal assists a game (which obviously wasn't kept in his time) he cannot be considered in the same way as Matthews & countless other VFL/AFL players. He shouldn't have been made a Legend of the Hall of Fame ahead of other Sth Australians who came over & proved themselves in the VFL. Malcolm Blight is the obvious one who should be made a Legend, he was still a star in his last 3-4 years he played in the SANFL after his time at North Melbourne. His Margery Medal he won would've been at the time of Robrans peak also.

You really have no idea, surely all the best players ALL came out of Victoria

I don't think I've ever met anyone who watched SANFL football in that era ever say anything different either, regardless of who they supported.
I have, A North supporter told me Woodville's M.Blight was the best he saw.

Having said that, Barrie himself is a humble guy and wouldn't say he's the best.

As testimony to this, his best mate Bohdan Jaworskyj decided to try his hand at VFL football and signed for 3 years with the Hawks. Barrie was so fierce with club loyalty that he didn't speak to his best mate for many years after that. He just could not understand how anyone could leave North Adelaide to play elsewhere.
I doubt this true considering he was planning on the move himself before Matthews injured him.....

Ah well, Victoria and Carlton's loss.

240volt

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Carlton never had many losses in those days because there side was stacked with poached players from SA and WA. Was a sad time for them when buy a premiership time ended. The good old days (pigs arse).

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Its not even debatable who is the best SA footballer ever. Robran number 1 for sure. And to say he never proved himself in the VFL is a joke. The level in WA, SA and Vic was pretty even in that era. Thats shown by State gamea and club championship games.
Also is worth noting that SA players that did go to the VFL and exceed like Blight, none of them could hold a candle to Robran. Fact is the VFL never got the best SA talent in their peak. Robran, Ebert, Bagshaw, Head etc.
Russell Ebert is considered the second best SA player ever, and he will laugh at you if you even try to say he was as good as Robran.
It was said that if someone inherited 5% of hia talent they would play AFL. His son Matthew had about 5% of his old mans talent.

Back