Movie Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (March 24 release date)

Remove this Banner Ad

There was pictures of Affleck in the business attire standing amongst rubble (maybe the non crisp look is due to him helping rescue people or something?).

Last edited:

Potential new rule from now onwards: Any non-official photos/videos posted are done so in spoiler tags. Some people (like me) prefer to avoid things like that while still discussing the film itself in the thread.

Seeing Guardians of the Galaxy for the second time last night, I realised I have now officially become a Marvel Fanboy. As such, I now find myself viewing DC's scrambling attempt to replicate Marvel's success with pity and disdain.

I loved Nolan's Batman Universe and at the time of TDKR I was very anti-Avengers and pro-DC. But since the utter disappointment of Man Of Steel and Marvel going from strength to strength with Captain America 2 and now GotG, I am 100% behind any Marvel cinematic property and sceptical of anything DC related.

Trying to shoe-horn Batman, Wonder Woman and whomever else into Superman's second cinematic outing just seems... inorganic and rushed. Not to mention a change of tone after the (misguided IMO) initial efforts to ground Superman in reality similar to Nolan's Batman. I fail to see how Dawn of Justice will work on screen and to be honest, I don't really care if it fails. Marvel has shown how to treat comic properties properly and that is with love, patience and devotion to the original printed works.

Seeing Guardians of the Galaxy for the second time last night, I realised I have now officially become a Marvel Fanboy. As such, I now find myself viewing DC's scrambling attempt to replicate Marvel's success with pity and disdain.

I loved Nolan's Batman Universe and at the time of TDKR I was very anti-Avengers and pro-DC. But since the utter disappointment of Man Of Steel and Marvel going from strength to strength with Captain America 2 and now GotG, I am 100% behind any Marvel cinematic property and sceptical of anything DC related.

Trying to shoe-horn Batman, Wonder Woman and whomever else into Superman's second cinematic outing just seems... inorganic and rushed. Not to mention a change of tone after the (misguided IMO) initial efforts to ground Superman in reality similar to Nolan's Batman. I fail to see how Dawn of Justice will work on screen and to be honest, I don't really care if it fails. Marvel has shown how to treat comic properties properly and that is with love, patience and devotion to the original printed works.
You'll be back on the DC bandwagon as soon as the first trailer comes out.

Reportedly WB have hired 2 writers to write screenplays for Aquaman and will choose the better script if they go ahead for a movie (depending on Aquaman's reception in Dawn of Justice apparently).

Trying to shoe-horn Batman, Wonder Woman and whomever else into Superman's second cinematic outing just seems... inorganic and rushed.

Maybe they felt they'd skip the bland, unoriginal, solo superhero introduction movies - let's be honest, all of Marvel's movies besides Ironman and possibly Captain America 2 have blown.

While Marvel may have earned more revenue from the comic nerd and child demographs, from a movie critic's point of view they're still reasonably tied in terms of putting out good movies.

Any chance you could share why you didn't like MoS mate? I know it split a lot of opinion but I personally loved it more than Superman Returns (the last Superman film before MoS) and don't get some of the criticism it gets.

Granted the acting might not have been Oscar worthy (that's not why you go to see comic book films though haha) and the sequence of the story telling through a few people off (with the flashbacks at different stages). FWIW, I do enjoy the marvel films too and I do like the comedy they try and include in their films but I also do like the idea of DC and WB seemingly going for a darker style.

Any chance you could share why you didn't like MoS mate? I know it split a lot of opinion but I personally loved it more than Superman Returns (the last Superman film before MoS) and don't get some of the criticism it gets.

Granted the acting might not have been Oscar worthy (that's not why you go to see comic book films though haha) and the sequence of the story telling through a few people off (with the flashbacks at different stages). FWIW, I do enjoy the marvel films too and I do like the comedy they try and include in their films but I also do like the idea of DC and WB seemingly going for a darker style.
The fact that the last hour was just ridiculous over the top destruction for seemingly no apparent reason?
The fact Superman broke a guy's neck?
The fact Superman has zero character?
The fact it was utterly joyless to watch? Zero sense of fun or happiness.

I could go on.

The problem with MoS imo was that it didnt hit any great heights. Dont get my wrong I thought it was good enough and a good platform to move the series forward. But there was nothing exceptional or great in it and just didnt meet those expectations. I dont agree with many of the criticisms either and the only thing that really annoyed me were the alien creatures on Krypton I just thought they were completely unnecessary for the story.

I have almost zero faith in Snyder to do much better in this film. Hopefully the addition of Terrio can improve things.

The fact that the last hour was just ridiculous over the top destruction for seemingly no apparent reason?
The fact Superman broke a guy's neck?
The fact Superman has zero character?
The fact it was utterly joyless to watch? Zero sense of fun or happiness.

I could go on.

Fair enough mate. Just on a few of those points though (not trying to change your mind or anything, just genuinely interested in discussing it as it really polarised audiences):
  • The destruction was mostly caused by Zod and his soldiers (the bad guys) who wanted to turn Earth into a new Krypton (so I would have thought that would be an explanation for the mass destruction going on) and Superman (who is still learning his abilities/capabilities) is trying to stop them.
  • The neck break was definitely a ballsy call to make but I think it was a great decision by Synder (I think there was talk Nolan disagreed with him on that though?). Remember, superheroes are meant to make the tough choices for the good of others. By killing Zod, it went back to his dad (Kevin Costner's character) telling him he couldn't save everyone and that sometimes people had to die. I think I would have been annoyed if they did some cheap get out of free card like when he reverses time in the original superman.
  • Superman's character - that's a debatable one too. Certainly the acting was maybe a bit wooden but in terms of substance, I think there was a bit there (he lost both his dad's lol) and a lot of the movie was really him debating whether the world was ready to know if aliens exist or not. Hopefully in BvS we will see a lot more of him being reporter Clark Kent (something I think Superman Returns did better).
  • In terms of enjoyment, I guess that really comes down to the individual. I really enjoyed it, Superman Returns (outside of that airplane rescue scene was really boring and didn't hold my attention). The destruction and action in MoS I thought were really well done (some critics say to overshadow the film's flaws). I know some people wanted them to copy the 'funny' Marvel style but I think its great they want to go a different way to Marvel (I really loved the Dark Knight Trilogy because it was grittier, darker and more 'real') than say something like the Avengers (which I do love as well) where a lot of the quality comes from set gags and scenes designed to get laughs.
I guess ultimately, they needed to try and modernise Superman from being the boy scout who saves the day, always finds a way to overcome the odds and is a perfect role model. If they stuck close to his origins, I think his character would be considered very bland and the movies, very predictable. They were trying to put an outdated Superman into a new world instead of trying to make Superman relevant again by giving him a fresh image in the eyes of audiences.

The problem with MoS imo was that it didnt hit any great heights. Dont get my wrong I thought it was good enough and a good platform to move the series forward. But there was nothing exceptional or great in it and just didnt meet those expectations. I dont agree with many of the criticisms either and the only thing that really annoyed me were the alien creatures on Krypton I just thought they were completely unnecessary for the story.

I have almost zero faith in Snyder to do much better in this film. Hopefully the addition of Terrio can improve things.

Have to agree with you on Snyder, I'm not fully sold either though it seems DC/WB have given him the keys to be their Joss Whedon. I wonder if they will let others direct movies if they announce further upcoming projects (maybe Affleck might want a go at directing a Batman movie or something).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could go on for days about the numerous issues Man of Steel had, but the most annoying for me was just the lazy/amateurish stuff that had me saying "wtf?" the moment it happened.

For example, the suit.

Clark spends considerable time tracking down that Kryptonian ship/the fortress of solitude, meets his father and then 30 seconds later there's a Superman suit just waiting for him in storage. This is meant to be a ship that has been on Earth for thousands of years - why the f**k is there a suit (that would fit him perfectly mind you) just waiting on board?

And just further to the mindless/over the top destruction in the last half an hour, it was a hell of a moment Snyder chose to have Lois and Superman kiss for the first time. Just when you see a broad view of a massive area of Metropolis leveled to dust, and quite possibly tens of thousands of people killed, they decide to get romantic and kiss? How about a thought for the mass of innocent lives lost through this needless destruction he was a part of?

Mind boggling stuff.

Oh, and the consistent references to Jesus also became tiresome the first 400 times they did it. Anyway, the list can go on and on but the first 45 minutes I thought was an excellent origin set up. Then it just deteriorated and fell apart.

The concept of a Superman v Batman film is quite exciting especially as it seems they're utilizing the TDKR as source material, but as long as Snyder is involved, then I fear he could ruin it. Again.

I was enjoying MOS until Zod turned up to Earth, film just kept going downhill from there.

Not a fan of the portrayal of Zod or just the plot after he arrived? I personally loved Shannon's Zod as a villain (the only big problem being he got killed off so presumably won't be in any future movies haha).

I could go on for days about the numerous issues Man of Steel had, but the most annoying for me was just the lazy/amateurish stuff that had me saying "wtf?" the moment it happened.

For example, the suit.

Clark spends considerable time tracking down that Kryptonian ship/the fortress of solitude, meets his father and then 30 seconds later there's a Superman suit just waiting for him in storage. This is meant to be a ship that has been on Earth for thousands of years - why the f**k is there a suit (that would fit him perfectly mind you) just waiting on board?

And just further to the mindless/over the top destruction in the last half an hour, it was a hell of a moment Snyder chose to have Lois and Superman kiss for the first time. Just when you see a broad view of a massive area of Metropolis leveled to dust, and quite possibly tens of thousands of people killed, they decide to get romantic and kiss? How about a thought for the mass of innocent lives lost through this needless destruction he was a part of?

Mind boggling stuff.

Oh, and the consistent references to Jesus also became tiresome the first 400 times they did it. Anyway, the list can go on and on but the first 45 minutes I thought was an excellent origin set up. Then it just deteriorated and fell apart.

The concept of a Superman v Batman film is quite exciting especially as it seems they're utilizing the TDKR as source material, but as long as Snyder is involved, then I fear he could ruin it. Again.

Yeah, hard to argue with any of that. I personally didn't really feel the chemistry between Lois and Clark and the kiss as you pointed out was probably one of the more awkwardly timed things given the events in the film preceding it.

A big one for me is when Superman and Zod have their massive battle (they must fly numerous city blocks away from the place where Superman leaves Lois) but she just happens to show up at the museum as Superman kills Zod (how did she get there so quickly and even know where to go? With all the destruction, surely she couldn't have had a clean run to it even in a best case scenario). Also, with that family, Zod could have easily just moved his eyeballs (as Clark was holding his head and neck) to kill that family.

There's definitely quite a few plot holes there but most movies have them so you need to give them some scope for creativity in wanting to tell a story. I mean look at the Dark Knight trilogy, arguably the best comic book films ever made to date and they had some pretty glaring plot holes as well.

Not a fan of the portrayal of Zod or just the plot after he arrived? I personally loved Shannon's Zod as a villain (the only big problem being he got killed off so presumably won't be in any future movies haha).

Yeah, hard to argue with any of that. I personally didn't really feel the chemistry between Lois and Clark and the kiss as you pointed out was probably one of the more awkwardly timed things given the events in the film preceding it.

A big one for me is when Superman and Zod have their massive battle (they must fly numerous city blocks away from the place where Superman leaves Lois) but she just happens to show up at the museum as Superman kills Zod (how did she get there so quickly and even know where to go? With all the destruction, surely she couldn't have had a clean run to it even in a best case scenario). Also, with that family, Zod could have easily just moved his eyeballs (as Clark was holding his head and neck) to kill that family.

There's definitely quite a few plot holes there but most movies have them so you need to give them some scope for creativity in wanting to tell a story. I mean look at the Dark Knight trilogy, arguably the best comic book films ever made to date and they had some pretty glaring plot holes as well.

The plot after he arrived. The film just turned to stupid from that moment

"I wouldn’t have taken the part if I didn’t trust my instincts in terms of the filmmaking,"

"I think Chris Terrio wrote a terrific script. Zack’s a great visual director. And there’s an interesting take. I wouldn’t have done it if I didn’t think I could do it."

That second bit is really encouraging to read IMO - Terrio (the guy who wrote 'Argo') apparently wrote the script and that leaves Snyder to handle the visual and special effects (which he is pretty good at IMO). Sounds like a good partnership - I'd have been more worried if Snyder wrote a lot of the script/was the one deciding on the direction and plot.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/08/14/ben-affleck-talks-batman-role-in-dawn-of-justice

"I wouldn’t have taken the part if I didn’t trust my instincts in terms of the filmmaking,"

"I think Chris Terrio wrote a terrific script. Zack’s a great visual director. And there’s an interesting take. I wouldn’t have done it if I didn’t think I could do it."

That second bit is really encouraging to read IMO - Terrio (the guy who wrote 'Argo') apparently wrote the script and that leaves Snyder to handle the visual and special effects (which he is pretty good at IMO). Sounds like a good partnership - I'd have been more worried if Snyder wrote a lot of the script/was the one deciding on the direction and plot.

http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/08/14/ben-affleck-talks-batman-role-in-dawn-of-justice

Bringing in Afleck as Batman could be master stroke for the film if Terrio is able to write a great script. Im pretty sure Afleck would have played a huge part in bringing Terrio on board.

I have seen that Superman movie, and hardly remember anything about it..must have been good.. :drunk:

Yeah, that's a fair point too I guess mate. While I really enjoyed it, I don't think there was much in the way of really memorable scenes/moments that people will remember in 5-10 years time. I think the thing I'll best remember from the movie is the destruction and special effects :D

Yeah, that's a fair point too I guess mate. While I really enjoyed it, I don't think there was much in the way of really memorable scenes/moments that people will remember in 5-10 years time. I think the thing I'll best remember from the movie is the destruction and special effects :D
I really dont recall if it was good or bad...I must have been a bit nonplussed?

And just further to the Zod/Superman battle, it also annoyed me how Superman would randomly throw Zod into a building, burst through it to the other side and then just do it again with another random building. More senseless destruction that would kill numerous people each time it happened, with very little effort to avoid or minimise this. Stuff like that is my main gripe with the film, there's so many "that's not what Superman would do" moments throughout.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back