battle of $600m for stadia of the future in Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Heard criticism that Sydney will still lack a competitor to the MCG for major events (Buzz Rothfield on Melbourne radio).

there's no need, Major events come to Sydney for the city, the promotion, the iconic views.
the city has scaled back investment of major events because of the olympics, once bitten twice shy. Occasionally some idiot will announce we should bid on something and how great it will be, but push comes to shove it never goes ahead.

and i for one am thankful, all it does * up traffic and the news films some nauseating rubbish about how people think we ride kangaroos.
State economy took years to recover from pointless over investment.

Here is the latest.

490797-anz-stadium.jpg

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...k-and-parramatta/story-fnpn118l-1227333345777

Looks like the SCG will be getting a new car park :)

So... the $600 million has now grown to $1.1 Billion?

Heard criticism that Sydney will still lack a competitor to the MCG for major events (Buzz Rothfield on Melbourne radio).
ANZ will be around for many years to come, there's a fair pipeline required to build two new stadiums while still catering for all of the required content.

Sorry not being that familiar with the Sydney Stadium commercial names. Is the plan to have

SCG - Swans and Cricket

Current Sydney football Stadium - Rugby

Olympic Stadium

Brand New Rectangular Stadium - Soccer / Rugby

Parramatta Stadium - Rugby / Soccer

Showgrounds - GWS and Cricket

I realise there are also Stadiums in Newcastle and Wollongong.

Is that the big picture. Am I missing any?

Last edited:
they should just abandon anz stadium, it is a pathetic venue to watch sports especially rugby league and afl...dont get me started on the cricket. upgrade allianz stadium, upgrade parra stadium and one up the coast IMO. heck I wouldn't mind seeing the capacity increased at the scg.

Sorry not being that familiar with the Sydney Stadium commercial names. Is the plan to have

SCG - Swans and Cricket

Current Sydney football Stadium - Rugby

Olympic Stadium

Brand New Rectangular Stadium - Soccer / Rugby

Parramatta Stadium - Rugby / Soccer

Showgrounds - GWS and Cricket

I realise there are also Stadiums in Newcastle and Wollongong.

Is that the big picture. Am I missing any?

I believe the current SFS will be demolished, and there would be doubts over the future of the Olympic Stadium.

Melbourne is a city that is much better designed than Sydney. I wonder how far a person has to live out in order to be 80 minutes from the MCG.
anz stadium is typical rubbish sydney design. Looks good on paper lets build it. It turns out crap. Lets demolish it and build a new one at the tax payers expence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can understand Sydney wanting to build a massive stadium for rectangular purposes. Ideally the stadium would be designed to completely close the upper level for the majority of events, and only have it open for big games (SOO, Australia games, GF).

The advantage of a correctly built 80k seat stadium is it becomes a venue that complies with all FFA, IRB and IRL (whatever the International league board is called), could be used as a venue to attract NFL games to Sydney and then during the week, with the roof, let all the homeless people sleep there.

Win-Win-Win

No offense to women's soccer, but I don't thing it is the only thing that would make them spend many hundreds of millions of dollars for a large stadium.

Nor was I suggesting its for that event only, BUT I linked a current article on the matter. Its the Womens World Cup that is up for grabs sometime soon.

http://m.dailytelegraph.com.au/spor...a-league-in-2016/story-fnp0lyn3-1227211561696 SYDNEY’S UNHOLY ALLIANZ

SIX NRL clubs could be forced to play home games at Allianz Stadium if chief executive Dave Smith is successful in lobbying for a new 65,000-seat stadium at Moore Park.

To convince the government to fund the project, Smith has given a guarantee that it would become the new home of rugby league and be used in similar fashion to the AFL at the MCG and Etihad. Clubs forced to abandon their traditional old home grounds could include Manly, Cronulla, Wests Tigers, Souths and St George Illawarra who would join the Roosters as joint tenants. I texted Smith on Saturday for his comments on the situation but he did not reply.

Those small suburban grounds are the only NRL stadiums ever close to full....

So do I take it from the article that the NSW Govt is going to do ALL of the upgrades???? Are they made of Money?????

Why upgrade ANZ and rebuild Allianz Stadium to a 55000 venue??
Build a New Parramatta Stadium 30000 (Great) but why build a similar sized stadium (I assume) at Penrith??
If they build a new Indoor Arena in the CBD then Allphones Arena will be a white elephant????

Surely they will come to their senses eventually and demolish the Olympic stadium, make the New Moore Park Rectangular stadium a 65000 seat venue, and therefore the home of NRL and Football. You do not need both of these plus TWO 30,000 seat Venues in the Western Suburbs.

The only good thing that will come out of this is that the NRL will (hopefully come into the 21st Century and close all of the tiny, dilapidated, club venues and have all of the Sydney teams playing at two or three venues with brilliant facilities, which will be so much better for Members and supporters.

So do I take it from the article that the NSW Govt is going to do ALL of the upgrades???? Are they made of Money?????

Why upgrade ANZ and rebuild Allianz Stadium to a 55000 venue??
Build a New Parramatta Stadium 30000 (Great) but why build a similar sized stadium (I assume) at Penrith??
If they build a new Indoor Arena in the CBD then Allphones Arena will be a white elephant????

Surely they will come to their senses eventually and demolish the Olympic stadium, make the New Moore Park Rectangular stadium a 65000 seat venue, and therefore the home of NRL and Football. You do not need both of these plus TWO 30,000 seat Venues in the Western Suburbs.

The only good thing that will come out of this is that the NRL will (hopefully come into the 21st Century and close all of the tiny, dilapidated, club venues and have all of the Sydney teams playing at two or three venues with brilliant facilities, which will be so much better for Members and supporters.
Know anything about sydney do you?

By looking at NRL crowds Sydney does definitely NOT need two BIG Capacity Stadiums - ANZ Stadium only gets filled Once or Twice a year at the moment. If you had a 30K stadium in the West and 60K at Moore Park they would both be plenty big enough, you don't need an 83500 plus a 30000 in the West with 55,000 next to the SCG which will hold around 55000-60000 when the renovations are complete there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back