Social Off Topic Thread - House of Dastardly Crax

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I'm not going to argue with you.

It just doesn't feel like summer at the moment, but that may be because I'm from a warmer climate.
It was 43C on Sunday, just how much more Summer would you like? Plus it's still November, so technically it's still Spring :p

It was 43C on Sunday, just how much more Summer would you like? Plus it's still November, so technically it's still Spring :p
Lol yes Kitty 43C is very much a summer temp so therefore it is summer.

But where I am it is only 18C, more of an autumn temp. So which season is it?

/notarguing

200.gif

aCRTblAWKJroc.gif

Been watching Nathan For You.

Lol'd and cringed at this scene:
Nathan: "Have you ever done an on camera kissing scene before?"
Actress: *Nods* "I have. Have you?"
Nathan: "Oh yeah yeah yeah"
giphy.gif

:D
Very bad body language from him!!!

I do the peg thing :D. Well, I did. We don't have a clothes-line anymore.
OK, I'll ask, how do you dry your clothes?

In the USA in some places, you're not allowed to hang washing outside :eek: I like the sun on my washing.

Teriyakicat, I tagged you as i thought that this would be up your alley. Also, given your profession, your input also wouldn't go unappreciated.

I was dragged along on Friday to a quiz night, as I was given no other choice in the matter. Anyway, here's one of the questions: Name the only continent that doesn't have a desert. First of all, I'd like to let it be known that I can be pretty disagreeable at times. I also tend to take things literally, on the odd occasion. Now, as far as I'm concerned, there's not a continent on earth which doesn't a) contain a desert, or b) isn't itself a desert.

After a fairly robust debate amongst the table, I refused to accept Europe as a correct answer. Someone else suggested Antarctica, but of course Antarctica is a desert. I wanted to put down "every continent has a desert". My wife informed me that for all intents and purposes, Europe was probably considered a continent in the social sense, hence why the question was constructed the way it was, as the answer wasn't intended to be the one I wanted to give, which wasn't any of the above.

Majority ended up ruling, so the answer put down was indeed Europe. When the time came to give answers, the correct answer was in fact Europe. I immediately piped up and said that I disputed the legitimacy of Europe being considered a continent on the basis that, in the strict geological sense, a continent is a landmass defined by plate tectonics and that Europe and Asia are the one continent.

Someone else on another table then piped up about Antarctica being the correct answer. The MC asked her assistant to refer to the internet to clear up the confusion. In the end, after an apparent google consultation, Antarctica was also given as a correct answer, to which I further disputed the legitimacy of it being correct, given that deserts are only defined by the precipitation levels being less than a certain amount. I was told "Thank-you table 1, but we're moving on now, the question has been settled".

I'll admit that I most probably came across as an argumentative and arrogant flog. I certainly had a couple of eyebrows raised in my direction when I disputed the answers. I was told by the wife on the way home that the night was for a charity and that "being 'right' was secondary to raising money and having fun". I told her that quiz nights are not fun when the questions are riddled with ambiguity and downright falsities.
So what is the correct answer? + I agree with you!

OK, I'll ask, how do you dry your clothes?

In the USA in some places, you're not allowed to hang washing outside :eek: I like the sun on my washing.

I live in an apartment so don't have a line. They are rare in houses here as well. We just use the dryer. Or perhaps a little clothes-horse.

I remember having to put my foot down at a trivia night "what is the capital of New Zealand" and everyone (but me) on the table "Auckland!!!!!" **** off you numnuts.

We won that trivia night too, god knows how.
I went to a trivia night once with a friend who knows everything + his friend David Poltorak, who won Sale of the Century. We had a tennis question + I said the answer was Ken Rosewall, my friend shot me down very aggressively, saying I was wrong, it was Rod Laver. The others said Rod Laver too. We won, only one answer was wrong! Yep, my Ken Rosewall was correct!

/notarguing
Sounds like the ever fluctuating temperatures of spring to me!
36 or so here yesterday but there's thunder, lightning and a bit of rain today.
allrighty we put on a light show for you here but you've buggered off home! Next time we just won't bother! :mad:

I went to a trivia night once with a friend who knows everything + his friend David Poltorak, who won Sale of the Century. We had a tennis question + I said the answer was Ken Rosewall, my friend shot me down very aggressively, saying I was wrong, it was Rod Laver. The others said Rod Laver too. We won, only one answer was wrong! Yep, my Ken Rosewall was correct!

I hope you, rightly so, killed them all.

Ah, I thought I was imagining things. :)
Glad to know it wasn't my mind playing tricks on me.

When *I* was at school, there was only ONE continent- called Pangaea...
:D
You went to school in the Palaeozoic era? :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What were the answers? I'm struggling to think of many.

Dinosaurs, animals in general, wax figures, skeletons.... um can't remember the others.

I thought spiders/insects would be up there, but wasn't.

It was just a cross promotion anyway, about 10 mins later I saw an ad for "Night at the Museum 3" or some s**t..

Lol!
I've chucked the shits and don't EVER go to Quiz Nights anymore. Meant to tell Strangled Cat this story the other day but forgot.
One question we were given was along the lines of "If Huey, Dewey and Louie are Donald Duck's nephews, what are the names of Daisy Duck's nieces?"
I answered "April, May and June" but my answer was ridiculed by the big loudmouth bossy lady who was ruling the table with an iron hand. I insisted that I'd cut my teeth on comics and I swore that my answer was correct. Nobody knew the answer- but apparently my answer was wrong- so Bossy the Cow made up some dumb answer, which was wrong and my answer was proved to be correct. I didn't stick my tongue out or anything at BtC and I never received an apology from her - can't even recall who it was, tbh- but I've never bothered going to Quiz Nights since. There's always someone who knows everything and I just never enjoy the evening. Did you know that there are professionals who go from quiz night to quiz night, in order to take all the main prizes, these days? Have you encountered people like that?

Oh- also, because I don't watch those crap brainless shows on TV, there'd be 50% of twit questions that I have NFI about. And I'm not about to watch 70 hours of inane TV series or shows, etc. just so I can answer 10 questions on a quiz night once a year :D

I like trivia nights.

Had a category of "TV themes", Growing Pains came on and to the amazement of the table, I broke into song "show me that smile again dont waste another minute on your cryin!!!" :D Knocked that category out of the park.

I also knew "Suspicious Minds" by Elvis too. That's not a TV theme tho, that was a different category.

At least the Yanks know their geography.

Americans are useless at geography! When I was at LAX waiting for my flight, I met some Australians at the charging station + we were laughing about Americans lack of knowledge of Australia - drop bears etc. So I said they can't even pronounce the names of countries they invade + don't know where they are in the World. So we opened Google Maps (an Australian invention, BTW) + we asked people around us, where Iraq + Afghanistan were on the map. Of nine Americans none answered correctly + I'm not talking confusing neighbouring countries. Most thought Afghanistan was in the Middle East + Iraq was in Africa, near Libya! One guy even pointed to Australia, for Iraq :eek:

Yeah that was a tasteless joke.

Other than that they were very good. My favourite would have to be the infringement officer sketch.

Willo_ might want to watch that before getting a tattoo ;)

I love their infringement skits! The w***er rego plates is a classic!

When I first saw the headline I thought a bouncer of the nightclub variety.

Well in my defence, supporting football and not cricket, this would be the most likely scenario!!!!

Very scary indeed, hate to see anyone hurt on a sporting field. :(
A reasonable assumption after David Hookes' death :(
Latest I heard was that Hughes had a heart attack + bleeding on the brain! he's in an induced coma + more scans this afternoon. I know a few of you have heard me say this, but SCG is only four minutes from St Vincent's Casualty + it's the best hospitl.

/notarguing
November = Spring
Temperature = Winter (where I live)

What were the answers? I'm struggling to think of many.
The Egyptian Mummies!

To put you off ever swimming in the sea again - monsters of the deep!

My all time, lifelong, biggest fear was when in First Grade we were told to pray for Evita, whose body was lost!!! Every night I was petrified Evita's body was under my bed, until a few years ago I watched a documentary about her body, the embalming, where it was kept etc + the Vatican paid a family to dig up their mother, bury her elsewhere, dig some incredibly deep grave, probably down to the Mesophere, buried Evita, filled the grave with concrete + replaced the Italian widow's gravestone! Now, all I have to worry about is the boogeyman!!!!!

Haha, that's a pretty specific question to just have a stab in the dark at. I don't blame you for being pissed off.
It's probably the only thing that's stick in my mind about Quiz Nights- but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the only answer that I knew all night. ;) Might be the only one that I knew that nobody else knew, I don't recall. Used to know lots of the answers to music questions but I've probably forgotten it all now. :(
How are you today, Catfish? Improving in leaps and bounds, I hope!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back