Social Off Topic Thread - House of Dastardly Crax

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This happened just past the Ballarat Rd exit and I just don't get why it was 60. There were no roadworks and there weren't any accidents.
Maybe the length of merge after the exit has shortened - presuming there's a corresponding entry point a bit further up? We widened our freeway from 2 lanes to 3 and all the lanes narrowed because the MR had to move them over to work behind a barrier and, as well as that, the length of the merge point for the roads entering the freeway had shortened dramatically. Of course half of the motorists continued to travel at 100, putting the motorists entering the freeway in danger because their lane ran out after about 4-5 car lengths, once they'd hit the f/w

Maybe the length of merge after the exit has shortened - presuming there's a corresponding entry point a bit further up? We widened our freeway from 2 lanes to 3 and all the lanes narrowed because the MR had to move them over to work behind a barrier and, as well as that, the length of the merge point for the roads entering the freeway had shortened dramatically. Of course half of the motorists continued to travel at 100, putting the motorists entering the freeway in danger because their lane ran out after about 4-5 car lengths, once they'd hit the f/w
Yeah not sure on the length as I usually stick to the two middle lanes because for some reason just after the next exit (Furlong Rd) they have partially blocked the lane forcing anyone in the left lane to merge. Sometimes I've been caught out and have had to move right then back left as I have to take the very next exit.

Yeah not sure on the length as I usually stick to the two middle lanes because for some reason just after the next exit (Furlong Rd) they have partially blocked the lane forcing anyone in the left lane to merge. Sometimes I've been caught out and have had to move right then back left as I have to take the very next exit.
Maybe that exit has forced the change in speed limit further back?

It must make you mad when you think you know a road, then they change it!

I was driving to the airport here one night and didn't realise the road had changed so drastically. Luckily I didn't veer left where the road suddenly split in two or I'd have taken ages to get back on the road to the airport again. And some roads out that way have a slip road on the left to get onto the next highway, further along it's got lights and you need to be in the right lane to turn right.. :mad:

If you don't go on a particular route often, there can be some nasty surprises. :( I understand that a bridge has been put in place near our airport as of last weekend. Luckily the next time I go out that way will be during the daytime :) but I wonder if I'll remember the new layout when I go there after that?

Maybe that exit has forced the change in speed limit further back?
Hmm don't think it would force that much of a drop in speed as there would be an accident everyday in that spot.
It must make you mad when you think you know a road, then they change it!
Back in my home town they installed lights at one of the intersections I used to regularly take and when I came up to it for the first time I took it as I normally would and turned left on a full red :$

Hmm don't think it would force that much of a drop in speed as there would be an accident everyday in that spot.

Back in my home town they installed lights at one of the intersections I used to regularly take and when I came up to it for the first time I took it as I normally would and turned left on a full red :$

I was only thinking that as a reason because our freeway went down to 60 just before the short merge, though we were going 80 along that stretch due to the narrowing of the lanes anyway.

hahaha! oops!!! ;) We have got new peak-hour lights at several roundabouts and I always wonder, 5 minutes later, if I've gone through on a red because I don't even notice the lights at all. Not sure what time they start operating. I guess if they'd been red, I'd have seen it... I hope .....

Do you have traffic lights on the down ramps onto your freeways in Vic? (just flicking on and off red-green to allow traffic to trickle onto the freeway)? WA are talking about trialling them and I think they've been used over east somewhere. I'm not sure how they will help- unless they can control the traffic flow on the freeway- which is impossible.

Do you have traffic lights on the down ramps onto your freeways in Vic? (just flicking on and off red-green to allow traffic to trickle onto the freeway)? WA are talking about trialling them and I think they've been used over east somewhere. I'm not sure how they will help- unless they can control the traffic flow on the freeway- which is impossible.
Yeah we have them on on-ramps where traffic is joining the freeway. They're usually turned on during peak times and when traffic is quite heavy.

They only allow 1 car per lane to go.

Yeah we have them on on-ramps where traffic is joining the freeway. They're usually turned on during peak times and when traffic is quite heavy.

They only allow 1 car per lane to go.
Do you think it's better than what was there before? Or do you tend to get a backlog of cars on the ramps? I haven't seen that scenario anywhere so find it difficult to see how it helps the flow. Guess I will soon find out :)

We've just lengthened the merging distance after the ramp I use to get onto the freeway and it's amazing to watch so many cars stop dead and try to merge as soon as they reach the bottom of the ramp, with 200m or more left until their lane runs out. I go past them in the merging lane and merge further up, which is smoother than what they're trying to do. They stop dead, the car next to them stops dead to let them in, and it banks up the cars behind them on the ramp as well as everyone in the freeway lane next to them....
I agree with the general concensus over here- that West Australians have no idea how to merge.

Do you think it's better than what was there before? Or do you tend to get a backlog of cars on the ramps? I haven't seen that scenario anywhere so find it difficult to see how it helps the flow. Guess I will soon find out :)
I wouldn't know what it was like before, but I'm sure it was pretty bad because at the moment you do get quite a backlog of cars trying to join an already congested freeway.
I agree with the general concensus over here- that West Australians have no idea how to merge.
Lol well yesterday I had to let a semi-trailer merge in front of me and there was a car sitting right behind the truck also trying to get in front of me. I wanted to block him because I believe it should be one for one but I couldn't. I should've made the truck stop (as it was on an incline) and watch it roll back into this guys car :p

Yes, such a vast + varying country. I love taking road trips, put the music on, sing along + enjoy the scenery.

SC I had to move out of Mum's house while it was on the market + I'd rented my house, so had to find something quickly. Everyone was asking where I was moving + I said flippantly, I'll rent a house by the beach for the summer. Well, when I had to move, this was the only suitable house for Les Petites + me - so here I am, sitting on the sofa, enjoying the view while I am on BF.

Pity about the flyscreen lol

View attachment 89691
I had The Cure's Disintegration on loud on the way back from the airport this morning to keep me asleep. Stan Marsh come on down.

I despise clowns, ventriloquists, puppets + look what is lurking in the storage area under this house?

View attachment 89692

Yes!!! It's Chucky, in his Pinocchio Halloween costume!

+++ for some reason, everyone on Fb is posting that article on my Wall + I can't delete them quickly enough! Like bloody triffids!!!
Looks pretty well hung.

Gee must have put the ****ing jinx on me, cruising down around the corner from where I live (to get onto the freeway) have a green light... still a green light... yup it's a green light I HAVE RIGHT OF WAY, then all of a sudden there's a van in front of me, turning right on the red.

Stupid son of a bitch ****ing mother ****ing campaigner arshole suck my ass you stupid prick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh and to top it all off- when I get to the next intersection there's a ****ing police car sitting opposite waiting at the red light!!!!

Do ya ****ing job you ****ing tax sucking dicks. Probably on their way to krispy kreme, yeah they got much more important things to do like get donuts.
/rant.

I wouldn't know what it was like before, but I'm sure it was pretty bad because at the moment you do get quite a backlog of cars trying to join an already congested freeway.

Lol well yesterday I had to let a semi-trailer merge in front of me and there was a car sitting right behind the truck also trying to get in front of me. I wanted to block him because I believe it should be one for one but I couldn't. I should've made the truck stop (as it was on an incline) and watch it roll back into this guys car :p
Yeah- cars that do that really s**t me- as if one car space really matters!

I have similar things happen here- coming down our ramp entry onto the freeway- I've turned right onto it- with some dumbo turning left alongside me. They race in from behind me so they can merge in front of me, as the two lanes on the ramp become one. Then we hit the freeway, they get on first, I'm right behind them and I immediately swing into the empty space in the right lane and overtake them. :D Then I'm in front of them for the rest of my journey.

The moral of the story is that it's OK to be in front but you've got to time it right or you won't be in front for very long.

I had The Cure's Disintegration on loud on the way back from the airport this morning to keep me asleep. Stan Marsh come on down.
You slept the whole way home?
I hope you weren't driving!!

I meant to ask if you were on the Red Eye, Allrighty. That's a crap trip back, unless you can grab some shut eye on the flight.

How do you get home from the airport? I used to get a Gull bus but that would probably only take you as far as Geelong.

Gee must have put the ****ing jinx on me, cruising down around the corner from where I live (to get onto the freeway) have a green light... still a green light... yup it's a green light I HAVE RIGHT OF WAY, then all of a sudden there's a van in front of me, turning right on the red.

Stupid son of a bitch ****ing mother ****ing campaigner arshole suck my ass you stupid prick.
And your green light goes red? Lol.

I am very familiar with all the red traffic lights on my daily journey- I know exactly how long each light takes to change - 2 of them take about 2.5 minutes :mad: - and if the sequence has been changed. There are 5 traffic lights on my 15 minute drive and every single light turns red as I approach. If I've ever almost had a green light, you can bet that some f*wit in front of me will be texting and realise they've got a green light just in time to sneak through as it turns red, leaving me waiting for the next change :mad:

Who put the jinx on you?

And your green light goes red? Lol.

I am very familiar with all the red traffic lights on my daily journey- I know exactly how long each light takes to change - 2 of them take about 2.5 minutes :mad: - and if the sequence has been changed. There are 5 traffic lights on my 15 minute drive and every single light turns red as I approach. If I've ever almost had a green light, you can bet that some f*wit in front of me will be texting and realise they've got a green light just in time to sneak through as it turns red, leaving me waiting for the next change :mad:

My green light goes red? Um. No. It was a green light.

He was the one who turned on a red arrow, on the opposite side of the road.

You slept the whole way home?
I hope you weren't driving!!

I meant to ask if you were on the Red Eye, Allrighty. That's a crap trip back, unless you can grab some shut eye on the flight.

How do you get home from the airport? I used to get a Gull bus but that would probably only take you as far as Geelong.
Yeah Disintegration just made me angry (Shell ?) so that kept me awake. Flew out 5.30ish Melbourne 12ish, home 2ish. Work today shitish. Can't do the overnight flight. Last time I did it took me two days to recover.

Funny last night guy in seat in front of me was absolutely out of it on another planet. Slept all the way but was pretty funny (in a way).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back