Winner is...?

• Adelaide Strikers

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Hobart Hurricanes

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Mainly because if you are facing 58 balls you should be closer to 85+ not 57.

Tbh I wouldnt have cared if he had that strike rate and we won in the 18th over or so, but to take the game till the last ball was poor batting rather than anchoring an innings.

For the record he was the only SA batsmen whose strike rate was under 100.

There is plenty of s**t said on the field but you dont ever hear about it and its almost always left on the field esp in todays world. But to bring up like that is just poor form.

I wonder if C10 need to reconsider interviewing players right after a dismissal when you feel like s**t.
Just don't interview hacks

And here we go.........

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/enter...r/news-story/ca56603edfefdd45c3623b94fc3b3559

CRICKET fans were left fuming on Wednesday night when a technical fault caused the climax of the Adelaide Strikers’ Big Bash victory over the Hobart Hurricanes to be replaced with an infomercial.

The Adelaide Oval match had reached the penultimate over when the telecast was interrupted by a TVSN infomercial for a massage chair.

Good result for the Scorchers. As long as Adelaide, Perth and the Stars finish top 3 it'll be another home Grand Final for the boys in orange.

;)

It won't be at home, as I would assume the Strikers will finish top. Scorchers have a harder run home. Same amount of points will come down to NRR.

morans-thumb.jpg

Mark or Jason?

Doesn't take long for the internet to completely change what someone said, taking a decent, if salty sledge and turning him into an arrogant flog.

I'm at least 90% sure that Hill didn't call anyone "a nobody" - he asked "who?" when he was asked about him, and then (questionably) suggested that he hadn't bowled very well.

Also... maybe I read too much into it, and I'm no lip-reader - but I'm pretty sure that, after the 'meeting' before the last ball, as Paine was walking away, Milenko tells him "mid off up".

There's no doubt in my mind that Milenko just miscued the ball he was trying to bowl. That's not to bag him - he was the one that pulled them back.

I'm not going to bag Paine. I would imagine that a big part of being in that position is actually knowing the bowler. Paine wouldn't have played with Milenko much at all, so he's relying almost entirely on the ball that Milenko thinks he can nail, and the relevant field that Milenko wants.

In hindsight, of course - you put 4 men on the leg side boundary and fire it in at middle and leg. But if that's not the ball the bowler is confident to bowl, he can't go with it, it's too easy for the batsman to get under it if he gets it a foot wrong (or worse, it goes for a wide).

I guess at the end of the day, I appreciated the end because it's the closest I feel that T20 gets to real cricket. It was a contest of bat and ball, a contest of thought, of captaincy, of knowing team mates and opposition. A lot went wrong for the Hurricanes in just one ball.

The better question has to be...why did it take Hobart basically until their season is over to play Milenko. I mean seriously lets not pretend their attack was good this year. Except Boyce, all of them have been smashed more often than not.

I said to my mate about Lude's at the 12 over point is that had only faced 37 of the 72 balls bowled at that stage, half of the strike. So it would've been hard for him gain any sort of momentum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, not sure I fully understand the Ludes bashing. He went at a run a ball which was pretty much all he needed to. Would've have been better if the skipper ran better between wickets. Did his job IMO.

So much this. I was at the game and thought Hodge/Ludeman turned a heap of twos into singles. Hodge goes, Ross gets in and suddenly the twos are there again.

Last edited:
The better question has to be...why did it take Hobart basically until their season is over to play Milenko. I mean seriously lets not pretend their attack was good this year. Except Boyce, all of them have been smashed more often than not.

As a Hurricanes supporter, my opinion is that Hobart's tactics were atrocious from start to finish this season. They got almost every important decision wrong. They botched one thing after another on the field when it really mattered, too.

By "start", I mean the pre-season as well. Recruiting Sangakkara was sensational (or so it seemed at the time, before his dismal run-of-outs). But, especially once Hilfenhaus and Doherty left (following Laughlin, Bollinger and Rana in recent seasons), it also meant that they needed to do a lot of work on shoring up their bowling as well. But they clearly didn't ever do enough to fix that problem.

Maybe it was something to do with their salary cap, but they somehow ended up with a dog's breakfast of three all-rounders who all bowl right arm medium pace (Christian, Sammy, Milenko) and, among their fast bowlers, they have three (Rainbird, Reed and Mennie) who they seem to have very little idea how to separate in terms of ability.

Sammy is popular with the TCA, the other players and women and kids in Hobart. He was also on the second of a two-year deal, so had to be employed again. But, given they also have Christian now, it seems like he's almost completely the wrong import for their team. (His presence is also a large part of why Milenko didn't get a game until tonight.) Their best import by a mile over the years has been Rana, and it seems weird they haven't made the connection that they would probably be much more successful if they had a reliable 'death bowler' rather than yet another middle order slogger and medium pacer.

Their batting, at a lot of times, is kamikaze too. Too many of them are way too impatient, don't seem to understand the importance even in T20 of building an innings, and needlessly throw away their wickets with downright stupid shots and run outs. On an incredibly consistent basis. Paine is pretty decent more often than not but, otherwise, Bailey is really the only batsman who is genuinely reliable most of the time.

You can also almost always back them in to send the wrong guy out to the middle when they've got a key strategic decision to make about who bats next at critical times in matches. They regularly either send one of their bigger hitters in too early, and then inevitably haven't held anyone back for the end of the innings and lose a lot of momentum in the late overs (sending Christian in before Wells tonight was a good example). Or they do the reverse, and don't send someone in to start hitting until things are going to be almost irretrievable anyway (Hill being sent in ahead of both Wells and Sammy last Sunday with not many overs to go and plenty of runs still needed was an instance of that).

Then, to make matters worse, they often seem to gloss over the problems to the local media whenever they lose - often attributing it to just a bit of bad luck or it being 'one of those days'. And, unsurprisingly, they then continue to stuff things up in exactly the same ways in other matches shortly after that again.

Being T20 and a tough game to get right time after time, I'm sure most of the other teams make plenty of similar mistakes as well. But I doubt most of them do it as regularly as the Hurricanes.

Last edited:
No one scored like that all night, plus he didn't need to take risks. He batted fine IMO.
He (Ludes) is so out of form, he tried to do big shots, but he kept missing. He almost cost us the game. The pressure he puts on at the other end is ridiculous. His strike rate meant that for the other 10 overs he didn't face, they had to score an additional 3 runs an over each over. Would have preferred seeing Ross, Lehmann, or anyone else out there for more overs than see the hit and miss plodder stay out there like he did. Also think that the pressure on Head to score because of the lack of scoring at the other end contributed to his dismissal.

No one scored like that all night, plus he didn't need to take risks. He batted fine IMO.
His 30 off 37 against the Scorchers cost us Jayawardene wicket and also made us about 20 runs short of where we should have been. A good bowling performance saved him. I know he's scored two 50's in a row, but his strike rate is very poor. Move him down after Ross and Lehmann.

I don't know how people can be overly critical of the Hurricanes. They lost by a run on Sunday, they lost with the Strikers needing a 4 off the last ball last night. Those 2 results go the other way and no one is criticising them.

In their batting they have:
- a bloke who was the top BBL run scorer 2 years ago and was subsequently picked for Australia.
- one of the worlds great batsmen over the last 10 years.
- possibly Australia's best keeper/batsman in T20.
- one of Australia's most reliable limited overs batsmen.

They also have Christian, who they took a punt on and has played some remarkable innings, and Sammy, who won a couple of games almost on his own last season.

In their bowling they have a top 2 wrist spin bowler who is likely (I think) to go to the World Cup, and a guy who has been one of Australia's best limited overs bowlers in the last 10 years. "People" speak as though world class "death bowlers" grow on trees. They do not, and I don't believe even the national team really has one at the moment.

Given the difference between being in the 4 and not, and given the talent they have on the park, it's frankly ridiculous IMO to suggest that they've gotten everything wrong this season. Yes, players go in and out of form, and it's too short a season (and too short a match) to really turn that around - but if you would not have criticised them if they win last night and on Sunday, then your criticisms now are invalid.

The criticism should be laid at individuals playing poorly and playing bad shots - this is not a failure of the organisation in it's recruiting, because the Hurricanes should've been a top 2 team this season. As it is, they're 2 balls from being in the top 4.

I'm a Ludes fan but he's definitely not in good form, and the fifties he's made have been mostly due to pushing singles and twos with a split field. He looks completely incapable of finding the boundary after the powerplay, and whenever he goes for a big shot to break the shackles he just chunks it into the outfield for a single. I don't think my fellow Strikers fans would see his innings so charitably if we Lehmann didn't get the last ball to the boundary.

Ludeman was awful. How he could bat all innings and end up with a strike rate below 100 is mind boggling. Not many batsmen at that level could achieve that. Extremely lucky that we won.

I don't know how people can be overly critical of the Hurricanes. They lost by a run on Sunday, they lost with the Strikers needing a 4 off the last ball last night. Those 2 results go the other way and no one is criticising them.

In their batting they have:
- a bloke who was the top BBL run scorer 2 years ago and was subsequently picked for Australia.
- one of the worlds great batsmen over the last 10 years.
- possibly Australia's best keeper/batsman in T20.
- one of Australia's most reliable limited overs batsmen.

One of the things I hate most on BF is when someone takes the time and trouble to make a long, considered and objective post - and then "people" decide to take a potshot at them because of what sounds like little more than their own loyalty toward the team being spoken about.

I like the Hurricanes as well. However, whilst I don't fully agree with his/her points about the structure and recruitment of the squad, I think the rest of Arbuckle's assessment is just about bang on the money on every count.

Ironically, in listing the kind of talent they have, you undermine your own argument. With guys of the quality of Sangakkara, Bailey, Paine and Boyce etc on paper, they shouldn't be finishing in the bottom 3. Unless they badly underperform and things have gone very wrong.

Yes, they lost two games narrowly but they were playing from behind for the majority of those two games, and would have been fortunate to pinch either of them in the end. There are also always going to be some close games during the course of any T20 season in any case. There's also almost inevitably going to be a close battle for the top 4 positions. Big deal.

Equally, they were reasonably lucky to win two other very close games that could easily have gone the other way and would have put them in last position on the table. They were also never really even close to being in the games that saw them get completely pantsed by the Sixers, Renegades and Stars. Their NRR was horrible, and left them in huge trouble all season.

They also get a big head start by being the only team to play Brisbane twice, and this season they were (I think?) the side least disrupted or affected by international call-ups. Other than just scraping home over Thunder, Brisbane was the only other team they beat.

The reality is that Tasmanian and Hurricanes sides have underperformed on a fairly regular basis in T20 for almost all of the time this form of the game has been in existence. I would say that Arbuckle is right in saying that this is due to a lot of their (scrambled) decision making. I'm sure they put a lot of time and effort into things in their preparation but, when I watch them, I'm frustrated and miffed that they can often give the appearance of not being ready for certain things that happen (like the Renegades opening with two spinners this season) and that they regularly make poor tactical decisions. Arbuckle referred to things like the botching of their batting order. I agree with that, and then there are also just plainly weird on-field decisions like using Dunk to bowl in the third over of their first game when they'd already just picked up an early wicket and, instead of pressing home their early advantage, gave a lot of momentum back to the Sixers. There was simply no need for it at all.

I might be wrong but they also went into that first game looking way too complacent (and therefore poorly prepared) for my liking. Except for Bailey, it seemed like their minds were somewhere else just about all day. That, in itself, was a really ominous sign about their thinking and preparation for the season.

Look at the general professionalism of franchises like Perth and Adelaide, and it's easy to spot a number of important differences. Also look at the history of T20 competitions around the world, and look at the way the teams that generally win play and you'll see Hobart tends not to follow the same script very often.

You talk about Sammy winning two games by himself last year. I can only remember one tbh. I like him personally, but again I agree with Arbuckle that they ideally need a different style of player for next season. Let's also call a spade a spade: he was horrible for most of this season. Christian was about ten times as good as he was, playing just about exactly the same role. Milenko's one and only game was also better than any game from Sammy.

Some other Hurricanes fans (and the management and coach) can avoid facing up to it all they like if they want to. The reality is their season was very poor. Made worse by their constant, overblown hype and big talk about themselves in local and social media which a number of people I know (including myself) are starting to get a bit sick of.

In reality, they need to make a lot of improvements on and off the field. History suggests they're unlikely to bite the bullet and make the hard calls that are needed but I guess time will tell. Again.

Doesn't take long for the internet to completely change what someone said, taking a decent, if salty sledge and turning him into an arrogant flog.

I'm at least 90% sure that Hill didn't call anyone "a nobody" - he asked "who?" when he was asked about him, and then (questionably) suggested that he hadn't bowled very well.

Also... maybe I read too much into it, and I'm no lip-reader - but I'm pretty sure that, after the 'meeting' before the last ball, as Paine was walking away, Milenko tells him "mid off up".

There's no doubt in my mind that Milenko just miscued the ball he was trying to bowl. That's not to bag him - he was the one that pulled them back.

I'm not going to bag Paine. I would imagine that a big part of being in that position is actually knowing the bowler. Paine wouldn't have played with Milenko much at all, so he's relying almost entirely on the ball that Milenko thinks he can nail, and the relevant field that Milenko wants.

In hindsight, of course - you put 4 men on the leg side boundary and fire it in at middle and leg. But if that's not the ball the bowler is confident to bowl, he can't go with it, it's too easy for the batsman to get under it if he gets it a foot wrong (or worse, it goes for a wide).

I guess at the end of the day, I appreciated the end because it's the closest I feel that T20 gets to real cricket. It was a contest of bat and ball, a contest of thought, of captaincy, of knowing team mates and opposition. A lot went wrong for the Hurricanes in just one ball.
The games I enjoy the most are the lowish scoring ones around the 140s that end up being tight finishes.

Back