BBL04 Game 31 - Melbourne Stars Vs Perth Scorchers @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what do we expect the XI's for the semi to be? I'd go with:

Marsh, Kilinger, Carberry, Voges, Turner, Whiteman, NCN, Arafat, Tye, Behrendorff, Hogg
vs
White, Wright, Pieterson, Handscomb, Stoinis, Quiney, Triffitt, Hastings, Boland, Beer, Bird

Won't White and Marsh be playing for Australia?

Eh? No it won't.

If you're 1000 points both for and against at the start, a 100-50 win will give you a percentage of 104.8. A 200-100 win will give you a percentage of 109.1.
As a general rule, if you're in contention for finals, you'll have a positive percentage, and if that's the case the lower the defense the better.

As a general rule, if you're in contention for finals, you'll have a positive percentage, and if that's the case the lower the defense the better.

Well, to be specific you'd need to have a starting percentage greater than the percentage of the game for the lower scoring game to give you a better result. So if your percentage was more than 200, that's when a 100-50 win is better than 200-100.

In any case, the context was that if you need a big NRR boost, you're probably better off batting first, because if you bat second against a low total you'll need to have a much higher RR to have the same impact on your NRR.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did Perth throw in the towel once they realised they got a home semi? Unusually pathetic bowling from them in the final five overs.

Good win from the stars but doesn't mean a whole lot in the end unless the Sixer's overtake us. We got a home Semi and that's all we wanted out of this game.

B73eX4ECcAAnK3b.jpg:large

:D

Hope the Scorchers got torn a new one by JL last night for the last 10 overs of bowling and fielding alone. The only bowler who could be saved is Arafat and maybe Hogg who although didn't take a wicket only went at 7.5 an over.

The pressure early in the bowling innings was terrific especially from Arafat but after the White wicket the lads possible expected to win and granted because Melbourne looked in more trouble than C. Gull after a vicious Voges pull shot. That's the thing in T20. There are no absolutes and the game can change dramatically in one over. Credit to Peter Handscomb. Terrific knock under duress.

The batting from Marsh was terrific but we lost all momentum when he went out, 220 was on the cards if he was there at the 20 over mark. You can argue that Turner or a power hitter should've come in at 3 (Mitch Marsh would have been perfect for the situation) but the batting wasn't why we lost.

Our fielding was average at best. Ground fielding we saved a few runs on the rope and Klinger took two smart catches under pressure, but the dropped catch off White and 2 run out fumbles weren't acceptable. Dropping White didn't hurt us on the scoreboard too much but it's more so the extra few deliveries that we would have got to bowl to Quiney and co. Tye's fumble didn't change the game drastically because the Stars were powering home at that stage. Agar's however came at a more crucial time.

Arafat and Hogg (the two most experienced bowlers surprise, surprise) are the two who could be most saved from the coach's wrath. Behrendorf was the worst I've seen him in BBL 04, Tye dropped his bundle late after being effective early but as far as I'm concerned there's no escaping for Agar's bowling. You can't afford to put three successive balls in the slot like he did to the slogger John Hastings. Chris Martin could have smacked that rubbish for maximum's.

Looking to the SEMI I'd hope for a much better performance with the ball and in the field for starters. A fit NCN would come back straight away but who for ~ Agar or Tye? I'd be willing to give Tye another shot because he has been a handy bowler apart from last night. Can always throw the ball to AT for some overs of off spin. Obviously would love the home semi but the selfish part of me wants a semi at the SCG as well. Doubt it will happen but, unless the Thunder implode and if the game was to end up at the SCG we can look back at our own game against the Thunder and see that's why we aren't playing the semi at home.

1 - Handscomb has test cricketer written all over him. Cool head, strong technique and seized the moment.

2 - A.Agar needs to open a bakey and start selling pies, instead of bowling them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back