Discussion Beer!

Remove this Banner Ad

Everything from Feral brewery is simply fantastic (though I'm not a fan of smoked beers so I'm not keen on the Porter) - their Golden Ace and Sly Fox are two great summer beers. The Sly Fox IMO is a massive upgrade on the Stone and Wood Pacific Ale, which has become ridiculously popular. I can't wait to head to Germany and Belgium later in the year and sit around pubs drinking every Hefe, Dunkel, Saison and strong Belgian ale I can find!

Here are a few gems at Dan's that I highly recommend to any craft beer enthusiast

Zywiec Porter - delicious, rich, complex Polish porter that gives you absolutely no hint of it's 9.5% abv
Dos Blockos - pale lager that actually contains hops! Very very tasty, also an upgrade on S&W Pacific
InBraNata Saison - huge surprise for me; a beautiful, smooth, tasty Italian Saison
Three Ravens American Pale Ale - absolutely delicous, hoppy and balanced. Not as intense as the many IPA's popping up but packs far more of a punch that most pale ales

@SS I'm with you on the Chilli beers mate. I've had a few, but not too many. My favourite was a chilli coffee chocolate stout, but can't recall who made it.

@MSG, Feral are awesome, my favourite brewery. I've made a couple of clones of the hop hog & they never last long once word gets out :) Mate I like your tastes & will grab your recommendations when I'm at Dan's next. I really don't buy a lot of beer any more. I do love that craft beer has boomed over the last several years & peoples tastes are broadening & supporting a growing market.

The Pacific Ale is a nice light ale, huge amounts of Galaxy hops late & dry hopped. It's almost in the desert beer category, it doesn't have the bitterness or bold malt flavours that I usually like, but I'd never pass one up if on offer :)

@MSG, Feral are awesome, my favourite brewery. I've made a couple of clones of the hop hog & they never last long once word gets out :) Mate I like your tastes & will grab your recommendations when I'm at Dan's next. I really don't buy a lot of beer any more. I do love that craft beer has boomed over the last several years & peoples tastes are broadening & supporting a growing market.

The Pacific Ale is a nice light ale, huge amounts of Galaxy hops late & dry hopped. It's almost in the desert beer category, it doesn't have the bitterness or bold malt flavours that I usually like, but I'd never pass one up if on offer :)

Agree on Feral, by far my favourite Australian brewery. Hop Hog, White, Golen Ace and Sly Fox are all delicious. How do you go about cloning the hop hog? I actually made a S&W clone a couple of years ago that turned out great, but haven't been brewing much lately. I'm thinking of putting another imperial chocolate/coffee stout together soon so it will be ready for winter. Big, bold dark beers have always turned out fantastic for me; much less risky than attempting delicate pale ales.

Yep the Pacific Ale is just an incredibly light, fruity beer. I do think there are far superior light ales going around, although if it's getting commercial lager drinkers to enjoy a beer with hops in it then it's got to be a good thing!

Agree on Feral, by far my favourite Australian brewery. Hop Hog, White, Golen Ace and Sly Fox are all delicious. How do you go about cloning the hop hog? I actually made a S&W clone a couple of years ago that turned out great, but haven't been brewing much lately. I'm thinking of putting another imperial chocolate/coffee stout together soon so it will be ready for winter. Big, bold dark beers have always turned out fantastic for me; much less risky than attempting delicate pale ales.

Yep the Pacific Ale is just an incredibly light, fruity beer. I do think there are far superior light ales going around, although if it's getting commercial lager drinkers to enjoy a beer with hops in it then it's got to be a good thing!

I'll PM you the Hog recipe if you like. There's a large thread on the AHB forums where people have chipped in with what they've red / heard / been told by the Feral brewers, you piece together a recipe from there. I also added in some caraaroma grain which added a nice red colour, I'll see if I can find a pic ...

I'll see if I can find a pic ...
1510023_10202755222741239_1403565353_n.jpg

This picture is making me thirsty!

Big Pig AIPA

ABV: 5.5%, IBU: 75.5, OG: 1.056
Approx 88% Pale Ale Malt, 8% Wheat Malt, 4% Caraaroma
Bittered with Warrior, then Amarillo, Centennial, Citra & Galaxy @ 10 Minutes, dry hopped with Amarillo, Centennial & Citra ~ total 230g hops

:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I brew my own Beer:thumbsu: Its a good fun hobby, and I challenge anybody to get drunk on Stamps or Model Planes:p
I just use the Coopers Home Brew kit wich I get good results with:D

My dad had a kit and brewed his own for a while. To start with he was pretty damned careful , measuring everything precisely , and most of his brews came out pretty decent drop.
Then he started getting sloppy and just chucking it in..... not good.

My dad had a kit and brewed his own for a while. To start with he was pretty damned careful , measuring everything precisely , and most of his brews came out pretty decent drop.
Then he started getting sloppy and just chucking it in..... not good.
If you sterilise everything that comes in contact with the brew and keep it at the correct temp range ( these are the 2 things you have to be anally retentive about) you usually end up with a beer that tastes just as good if not better than anything youd buy. BUT.....Yes once you start to get sloppy you can end up with 23litres of cats piss :p

If you sterilise everything that comes in contact with the brew and keep it at the correct temp range ( these are the 2 things you have to be anally retentive about) you usually end up with a beer that tastes just as good if not better than anything youd buy. BUT.....Yes once you start to get sloppy you can end up with 23litres of cats piss :p

Yeah he had the water trap type of air valve, and I caught him without any water in it once.
Not good.

Yes I brew my own Beer:thumbsu: Its a good fun hobby, and I challenge anybody to get drunk on Stamps or Model Planes:p I just use the Coopers Home Brew kit wich I get good results with:D
Good work Q Train. I started on the kits too. If you swap out the included yeast and replace it with some US05 and add some additional hops into the boil for 10 mins, your brews will have a massive improvement in quality :thumbsu:

Good work Q Train. I started on the kits too. If you swap out the included yeast and replace it with some US05 and add some additional hops into the boil for 10 mins, your brews will have a massive improvement in quality :thumbsu:

I started on the kits as well. Now I'm at the point where I'm adding in specialty grains, extra hops (both in the boil and dry hopping), as well as swapping out the yeast for US05. It's definitely worth the extra money and effort. I've priced my most recent concoction to be around 70c per 330ml bottle, and I'd rasther drink it over many commercial beers.

I'm bumping this thread because I'm sick of seeing that "Milne wins" one every time I open BigFooty!

I was at the White Rabbit brewery this week, and they wouldn't let us taste their new pale ale that their launching tomorrow! I'm pretty keen to try it, Australian micro breweries do pale ales well, and White Rabbit know how to make a good beer.

I prefer their Dark Ale to their White Ale, but I'm not a massive fan of wheat beers, like the White Ale. Although if you drink too much of the Dark Ale too quickly it starts tasting like fairy floss..

White Rabbits are decent, but can't go past James Squires.
Golden Ale, Amber Ale, beautiful. Also there's one I don't see around very often... Can't remember the name of, but it was so strong and dark. Might have been the porter, that was pretty great. I feel at home at any place with Squires on tap!

When I'm not feelin' like shelling out quite so much for beer, Carlton Dry or Pure Blonde do me just fine.
That new Golden Ale Crown is interesting but overrated like the original crown... Squires do it better.

Oh man do I love beer. Until I get old and my body can't keep up with how much I actually consume...

I've had to stop buying little creatures pale ale, I'm no alcoholic, but they are seriously addictive…

They call you from the fridge, "draaaagitttt…"

You go to the fridge and say "what? again, what is it?"

One thing (beer) leads to another (beer)

I like most beers, but not many hound me from the fridge like LCPA.

Does anyone remember Carlton Dry Fusion Black from about 2010?

That stuff was nice, I remembered the taste the other day and it brought back many good memories of that year. I don't think it's available at all anymore, but is there anything similar out there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back