Media BEEZ: The Man, Myth, Legend

Remove this Banner Ad

League administator okeydoke7 interviews league stalwart beez.

It's a long piece, of course. But most of it is Beez. And some of it is good.

I was going to ask beez to sit down for a chat, but he would probably correct my posture. So I messaged him instead. If there's one thing, aside from his corrections, that beez will be remembered for, it will likely be his "Hitler" videos. Beez acknowledges the videos, poking fun at Sweet FA happenings, were probably the centrepiece of his lasting legacy in the league. "I've probably got more personal pleasure out of a couple of other threads I've made, but certainly my legacy will probably be those videos...I certainly enjoyed making them and I certainly enjoyed the laughs it gave others."

Though he will always be remembered as a quality contributor by those around for his best work, it is fair to say that his output has diminished in recent seasons. I suppose I was intrigued by Beez. Was he just tired? Was real life getting in the way? Or was it the league itself which was less appealing to him? Beez revealed that he has never considered himself to be a great match thread poster, but he has contributed in other ways. "I've always thought my best contributions to this league have been my media pieces (albeit sparingly these days). The newer breed probably wouldn't have seen some of my best work, but back in
the day, seasons 14-16, I would've been at my peak. And that is due to the league being at its strongest. The ability to bounce off others is an under-valued commodity in the league."

Beez was careful to assure me that he didn't blame the league for his drop in output. There are simply less like-minded posters that have encouraged his creative side. "My ideas can certainly be abstract at times and maybe I'm just lacking a muse that will get the juices flowing again. Some of it has certainly been down to the league's inhabitants. That doesn't mean it's everyone else's fault, I just don't get the same enjoyment, in terms of interactions, with a lot of the newer breed as compared to some that have come and gone. But let's not forget the influx the awesomeness that occurs every season. It's hard keeping up with the young'uns and what they bring to the league. Sometimes it's easier just to grab a glass of wine and loathe where you are in life rather than to try and keep up."

"The league is in great shape. There are certainly things that don't endear itself to me as it once did, but that doesn't mean it's not in a solid position. One thing that I'm happy with at the moment is the stability within clubs. That's not to say that bickering and in-fighting doesn't make for great entertainment for the league, but I think there needs to be a solid base within clubs before upheaval occurs. Of course, I could bitch and moan about issues I had with your Admin reign, but the league is prospering so I'll come off the long run later."

And naturally, he does. Beez never hesitates to let his opinion be known. Below, we explored some topics close to the career of Beez (whose name I will capitalise where I can, despite his insistence that I don't).

BEEZ'S "FAVOURITE" POSTERS:

"I've always enjoyed playing the Demons - Eth, Footypie32, Juggalo Balla, cooney, Rhodesy_Blues, Deddy - each match against them has been a pleasure. ClarkeM is right up there despite our differences. Itsmyshow has been a favourite from way back. okeydoke7 in spite of his Admin stint. And, as I've mentioned a few times before, a bunch of Bombers for early on, loopy_cam, ThePuppetMaster, Gee Dub and saintkildaman. There are numerous others who give a laugh and make fantastic contributions, but I would be lying if I called them a favourite."

CAPTAINCY

Beez relieved himself of the captaincy in controversial circumstances, after standing up to league administrator boncer34 and sitting through a ban as a result. The captaincy went to the next in line, Gee Dub, who was vice-captain at the time. After the handover, the Bombers seemed to turn from a powerhouse on and off the field to a basket case, with not much else coming through. Gee Dub was universally recognised as one of the league's worse captains. The question had to be asked, couldn't Beez have seen this coming?

"Gee Dub was a fantastic poster, fantastic contributor, and a moderate, a perfect fit for the captaincy. Unfortunately, I think he found booze and girls (a scourge on the Sweet FA that is never addressed), and neglected some of his duties in the latter stages of his captaincy. Those who corrupted him, both internal Sweet FA influences and external factors, should take a good hard look at themselves."

Interestingly, Beez isn't done with leadership. He would be interested in captaining the Bandits again. Mainly because "whipping the inactives into line is one of the most enjoyable acts as captain." A return, however, could have an impact on a unique statistic that only Beez knows: "While there may be some regrets, I hold the record for the best H&A captaincy record in the Sweet FA (min. 10 games), so it seems I relinquished my role at exactly the right time."

Although Gee Dub was vice-captain at the time, Beez had options when he handed over the captaincy. I was one of them. So why Gee Dub, when it all went so horribly wrong? "Maybe it was my way of rewarding him for sticking around the club instead of buggering off to the Swamprats? Loyalty. Something that obviously you don't know the meaning of. I was never going to give it to you given you were so open about leaving at some stage in the future... Your sour grapes regarding the captaincy only goes to show I made the right decision at the time in not even considering you."

STATE OF ORIGIN

Beez is a huge supporter of State of Origin, and has been a mainstay at Vic Metro for many seasons. If he were admin, State of Origin would never be skipped. "I appreciate the ever-evolving landscape, and certainly that many have no interest in it, but let's not forget our champions of the past because a few hipsters are too cool for it."

Many posters, though, have acknowledged that the drop off with SoO has occurred due to posters not taking it seriously. Rookies are being "given a chance" to captain representative teams, weak posters are getting prime positions, and in some cases we had posters yet to play an SFA game getting games ahead of veterans because "give the guy a chance." Vic Metro quite often had a bit of a laugh by putting beez and Eth on their interchange bench, even when they were superior posters. So perhaps Beez had something to answer for his contribution in an on-field perspective.

"I am part of Vic Metro. A team with an abundance of superstars. I gladly took a back seat on-field to accommodate newer posters who, at the time, were just as capable and prominent as myself, while still being a heavyweight off-field. If you or others want to argue that I proliferated the problem, that's fine with me. I have always been an advocate for SoO, I have always championed for the game to be played as part of each season and I have always voiced my opinion on wrongdoings that were happening in the SoO arena before you became Admin. I think my love for the concept is there for all to see, especially when I continually praise two of the biggest ****sticks in the league, ClarkeM and Ljp86 for what they've done for the competition. Absolving yourself of responsibility, given you've spent numerous seasons in charge, just makes you look unhinged."

LEAGUE PENALTIES & ADMINISTRATION

"I firmly believe a pre-season competition is worthwhile, I firmly believe a long off-season ensures we don't take the league for granted, and penalties need to be harsher - we can't have a situation where clubs are consistently disrespecting the league. It's just not on. Of course, all my beliefs would make me a lousy Admin and probably see me usurped within six weeks."

"I was extremely disappointed you didn't suspend SSwans2011 and Golumless from the Elimination Final (let's ignore how long it took you to enforce the penalty, and the inconsequence of said penalty). They have continually, over the course of two seasons, flouted many rules and, in my opinion, have not been adequately punished. I do hope that The Filth Wizard, as his first decision as Admin, decrees that the aforementioned Wonders' players are never to hold a leadership position again."

Beez had some feedback of his own for me as my time as administrator comes to an end. Although he acknowledges that I was firmer with league penalties than in the past, I hadn't gone far enough. And interestingly, I probably went on a season too long in the bible according to Beez: "One thing I really enjoyed about the first part of your Admin reign was your want to be as open and transparent as possible. Whilst I, like many, hate listening to you drone on, I don't mind reading long-arse posts if they're explaining the situation. It's funny you mention captain suspensions - certainly a good initiative. I understand that outside influences have taken over lately, but I have been a tad disappointed with your commitment this season (tough to measure up against your previous seasons). It seems you already had one foot out the door at Round 1."

And, perhaps some advice for The Filth Wizard: "I'll always take consultative over dictatorial, but remember, a minority opinion can still be right."

Last edited:

245-3-Yawn-Gif.gif

Should we call him Beez or bees
Is his head made out of moldy cheese
His posting is anal
And mostly banal
But let's give him a hug and a big squeeze.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should we call him Beez or bees
Is his head made out of moldy cheese
His posting is anal
And mostly banal
But let's give him a hug and a big squeeze.

Anal and banal don't rhyme.

Otherwise, twelve stars.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back