Society/Culture Being 'offended' - Australia's favourite pastime?

Are Australians in general too easily offended?

• No - we are laidback as, mate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - although we are getting there

• Yes - but we are getting better

• Yes - and it has always been this way

• Yes - and it seems to be getting worse

• Yes - and it has gotten MUCH worse recently

• I don't know

• Is offence spelt with a 'c' or an 's'?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

And thats how it should be, people have the right to voice disapproval he can apologise, if he wishes.

Came across this youtube i thought fitting for this thread. The problems go to a new level once we start policing whats offensive which is whats happening now, we open up the can of worms. We have political correctness going crazy, now the political correct police.

Erode our freedoms, then we all should be offended :D

Mark Steyn's Australian Freedom of Speech Tour 2012

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
being annoyed seems to be a default stance. people need to chill. and like the hamburger thing, i wonder if those of us inclined are driven to embellish our annoyance a bit so that it becomes 'more valid'.
places like ninemsn (who have recently added their own comment section which could potentially rival the herald sun in terms of idiocy) outsourcing their news to the lowest common denominator doesn't help. you the reader can contribute, send in photos, etc etc. ninemsn shouldn't have given this lady time of day.

733959-nick-d-039-arcy-and-kenrick-monk.jpg

Photographs posted of the pair posing with high-powered weapons in a US gun shop are not just stupid, they would be offensive to many.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/swifter-higher-stronger-dumber/story-e6frfhqf-1226387957984

Can anyone tell me how this photo is offensive?

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
Has anybody said that it is offensive? I thought the line from the AOC was that it was innapropriate.

Theses are two guys who have big question marks over their heads going into the Olympics.

One punched a teamate and has since claimed bankruptcy to avoid paying court sanctioned damages. The other filed a false police report to avoid anybody finding out that he had fallen off his skateboard and got injured.

As a result of their own actions, they have brought attention to themselves.

The pic is not offensive, but clearly these 2 guys are not the sharpest tools in the shed.

Has anybody said that it is offensive? I thought the line from the AOC was that it was innapropriate.

Theses are two guys who have big question marks over their heads going into the Olympics.

One punched a teamate and has since claimed bankruptcy to avoid paying court sanctioned damages. The other filed a false police report to avoid anybody finding out that he had fallen off his skateboard and got injured.

As a result of their own actions, they have brought attention to themselves.

The pic is not offensive, but clearly these 2 guys are not the sharpest tools in the shed.

The Herald Sun are definitely playing up the offensive angle, mentioning the term 'offensive' both in the heading and in the body.

That said thing is, people will be offended, only because they are told they should be.

Old Skool

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
10k Posts North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor
Nov 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
733959-nick-d-039-arcy-and-kenrick-monk.jpg

Can anyone tell me how this photo is offensive?

It isn't.

The state and it's corporate masters in the media don't like the idea of the social acceptance amongst the slave class of implements that can be utilised to overthrow or destabilise the state and it's corporate masters.

fairdinkum

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2007
Road to nowhere
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I've disagreed with you in the past but you are spot on the money this time, Prosecutor.

That photo even making the news at all is a joke. I don't buy the hardcopy of the Hun but it wouldn't surprise me if that 'story' made it to one of the first three or four pages.

Herbs

Premiership Player
Jul 6, 2006
Rockhampton
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Edmonton Oilers
One of the most stupid media beatups of all time. Journos should be ashamed of themselves, along with the dimwit anti gun lobby pushing it.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The state and it's corporate masters in the media don't like the idea of the social acceptance amongst the slave class of implements that can be utilised to overthrow or destabilise the state and it's corporate masters.
lolwut?

If the picture was of them smoking a bong, you'd get a similar reaction. Misplaced though the outrage is, it has nothing to do with your pseudo-anarchist fantasies.

fairdinkum

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 22, 2007
Road to nowhere
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If the picture was of them smoking a bong, you'd get a similar reaction.

And that's the problem imo.

Smoking a bong is actually illegal in Australia, and (probably) detrimental to their training for the Olympics. So public outcry would at least be somewhat justified. Very different to posing with guns in a legal gunstore yet, as you rightly point out, the reaction is as though they've committed crimes and/or hurt their own chances at the Games.

Ridiculous.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Well, substitute 'smoking a bong' for 'posing with half-naked strippers' then. Basically, people want public figures to be role models that conform with their own ideas of appropriate behaviour. If they don't, the public/media get outraged.

It's stupid, but it's not a conspiracy to further repression of the proletariat.

Old Skool

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Nov 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
lolwut?

If the picture was of them smoking a bong, you'd get a similar reaction. Misplaced though the outrage is, it has nothing to do with your pseudo-anarchist fantasies.

Why does the Hun make a big deal of the matter and the myriad of other similiar sensationalist s**t it vomits on a daily basis?

Will you delete my amygdala/conservative sheep thing, if I post it again?

Old Skool

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Nov 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I laughed when I heard the "uproar" this morning.
Totally s**t journalism gone mad.
Those who "allegedly" were offended should see a psychiatrist.

The Herald Sun would have us believe that you were referring to a sizeable chunk of the population.

If this is so, then fortunately we have democracy to protect us from idiots.

..............oh wait.

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I laughed when I heard the "uproar" this morning.
Totally s**t journalism gone mad.
Those who "allegedly" were offended should see a psychiatrist.

Agree, makes you wonder what the world is coming to if this is any sort of issue at all. Ill be interested in the coming days to see how many in the media go into bat for them. Worst thing is these poor buggers will feel like theyve committed some terrible crime. Hopefully the HS are coping/ get a serve for it.

Back