Belgium National Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Just for the bandwagoners...

2-0 against Scotland, goals from Benteke and Kompany in the 69th and 71st minute. Plenty of chances to score but was starting to get nervous when it was still 0-0 after 60'.

Another classy assist by De Bruyne and a great strike by Kompany.

430006_10151207356379271_1675543440_n.jpg

Courtois, Alderweireld, Vermaelen, Kompany, Vertonghen, Witsel, Chadli, Mertens (Mirallas - 55' ), De Bruyne, Dembele (Hazard - 45' ), Benteke (Ilombe - 86' ).

Quite the luxury when you can have Fellaini out injured and still leave Hazard on the bench. Lack of depth anyone? ;)
Who are the goalies? Does Jean-Francois Gillet get called-up anymore? I'm assuming he would get competition from Courtois, Mignolet and Bailly.

heard that prince vince's goal was an absolute ripper. de bruyne is in fine form in the bundi too.

On a Belgian football show the night before the pundits had been saying they were missing the old Kompany, the player who would run forward all the time and do tricks. Well all game long Kompany played exactly like that. Then when he was being interviewed after the game, he admitted he'd seen the show but that it hadn't influenced him - although you could tell by his face he was lying :).

hawkman said:
Have to get past Croatia. They won't be easy to beat

Yeah I agree. Today Croatia has more experience than us, but we're only playing them in a year's time. We seem to get better constantly now.

Watched this game. Thought De Bruyne was a class apart.

Starting to worry a bit about Chelsea in a few years.

Belgium look the goods although they'll want to top their group and avoid playoffs. And that won't be easy.

Too bad Benteke is playing like s**t for Villa though. Caught his game against West Brom and it was most underwhelming. Hope he succeeds and performing (well scoring) at international level is a good sign.

With De Bruyne apparently dominating in Germany and looking the goods - and in that case likely to play for Chelsea next season - still can't understand the signing of Marko Marin.
I know he might be injured at the moment or whatever but surely it can't be long before they stick his face on the back of milk cartons.

And Kompany, all I need now if for you to come full circle on Mourinho....!

Yeah he was hopeless against West Brom - didn't seem to be judging the flight of the ball well at all, unable to hold the ball up properly, etc. Still, it was only his first or second start (I haven't watched the Tottenham game) so I'll cut him some slack :)

Shame though, because the balls that Albrighton (early) and Bannan (late) were floating into the box were just begging to be hit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I watched the games against West Brom and Spurs and he was very disappointing indeed. But he's still learning - it is quite a steep step from the Belgian league straight into the EPL.

I thought he was s**t against Croatia as well though but these last 2 games were a major improvement. The goals may be partly due to De Bruyne's crossing - they played together at Genk and he knows where the ball is going (both crosses were aimed right for the 2nd post), and even though he had a really bad miss against Spurs, he hasn't had that many good crosses at Villa really.

Next to his 2 goals, his work rate was excellent. Dropped deep constantly and was often available to receive and hold up the ball for a second or two.

Nesta could do it with his eyes closed.
He probably could but he was never the most audacious player on the ball. He was a true CB. Gaetano Scirea, who played for Juve and the Azzurri in the 70s and 80s, would have done it with his eyes closed. Great defender and just as great going forward.

Croatia will have a good team in a couple of years. Have a couple of future guns in their ranks. Mateo Kovacic and Alen Halilovic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back