Ben Allen and the Fremantle Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Steven Jones

Senior List
May 7, 2007
Dallas
AFL Club
Essendon
Ben Allen has been re-elected by default to the member-elected position on the FFC Board.

I think it is actually a pretty sad state of affairs when no members can actually be bothered throwing their hat in the ring.

Has anyone on this board ever thought of running for such a position? I ask this seriously because the right person who could command support accross a few popular footy forums could probably make a decent contest of the election - I assume most of the regular posters on this board, Dockerland and WHTP are actually members.

I think it is something worth thinking about. Ben Allen is continuing in the role and good on him for that.

But should the member-elected position go to a former player, club captain and coach?

I think the club would be alot stronger if we actually had a "real" member, not just a former player filling this position.

Here is a news link on the issue:

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.aspx?MenuID=12&ContentID=44615

Fremantle director Ben Allan yesterday said he was disappointed that the club wouldn’t have an election this year after no one challenged him for the member-elected position on the club’s board.

Allan, who captained and coached Fremantle, had expected several candidates to stand for the position because eight people nominated for the board last year and seven put their names up in 2005 and 2004.

The two men who finished behind Dave Garic in last year’s election, former board member Les Everett and Boutique Wealth Management Group managing director Gary Hasler, yesterday said they were no longer interested in pursuing the position.

Westfield Carousel manager Kate Grieve, who finished fourth in 2006, said she didn’t challenge Allan because he had done a good job. She didn’t rule out nominating next year.

But Allan said he wanted members to have an opportunity to vote.

“I believe that if candidates believe they have something to contribute, they should put their nomination forward,” Allan said.

“I think it’s good to have at least two candidates. Having the commission appoint some people and the members elect others is a good way to get a board that is well rounded.”

I can't speak for other past nominees however I chose not to nominate this year as I felt Ben had done a good job and deserved to go around again. As for next year I'll make a decision at the time but I haven't ruled it out.

Very few members actually vote hence Ben Allan's call a few weeks ago encouraging people to participate. Last year there was just over 5,700 members who voted of which, about 20% voted for Dave Garic. If you are interested, details of past elections can be found at the WA Electoral Commission website.

The position is entirely voluntary. As for who the member-elected member should be, I think as long as the person has the best interests of the Fremantle Football Club at heart and can can make a valid and positive contribution then it doesn't matter what their background is, whether a former player, coach, media personality, business person or "average" joe.

He is doing a great job. None of the potential candidates want to usurp him.

A lot more will nominate next year when that weasel Dave Garic's becomes up for grabs. This guy is a whiteant of the highest order who leaks rumours to the slime loving media whenever he can, just to get a name for himself.

It's no coincidence that things ran a lot smoother in our best year so far (2006) when Garic himself decided to pull out of the race because he knew Ben Allen had much more credibility than he ever will have.

hmm if the next best only 20%, you'd have to assume Ben Allan got at least 60%.. getting a 40% would be nigh on impossible. How would you even appeal to members? You wouldn't have access to the membership list so you wouldn't be able to mail out - would need to be entirely advertising based which would mean there would be no way you'd win.

They should have the election "on the floor".

But I do not actually think it is right that Ben Allen occupies this position.

Ben is really a club "insider"... i think if hes is doing a good job he should be appointed on the board... but not as a "member representative" because he isn't really one of those - he is just another one of the boys. He wouldn't really be standing for the "members" as it were.

I am not interested in running. But I think there could be a few people on this board that should consider the possibility.

I respectfully disagree. I think there is already adequate channels in place for a former player to have input into the running of the club. I think the purpose of the member-elected position is some what destroyed when it is impossible for a "real" member to actually compete with the name recognition of the former player, captain, and coach. I think a "real" supporter would make a genuine contribution to the club and a fresh perspective.

Not if the members who vote think he is doing the business

I respectfully disagree. I think there is already adequate channels in place for a former player to have input into the running of the club. I think the purpose of the member-elected position is some what destroyed when it is impossible for a "real" member to actually compete with the name recognition of the former player, captain, and coach. I think a "real" supporter would make a genuine contribution to the club and a fresh perspective.

I agree - it would be literally impossible to beat Ben Allen. I'm not disputing he is doing a good job for the club, he probably is.. but he is hardly a man on the street representing the members. He isn't out there with the other members, showing up to member's functions and stuff - hes ben allen, he is in the inner sanctum.

Ben is really a club "insider"... i think if hes is doing a good job he should be appointed on the board... but not as a "member representative" because he isn't really one of those - he is just another one of the boys. He wouldn't really be standing for the "members" as it were.

Doesn't look like it to me...he has always seemed to be doing what's in the best interests of the club and it's members...but that's for those of us who don't have all the inside information, if you know what I mean...

Doesn't look like it to me...he has always seemed to be doing what's in the best interests of the club and it's members...but that's for those of us who don't have all the inside information, if you know what I mean...

How is he representing you as a member? I'm not disputing he is doing a good for the club.

How would you even get through to the members? If you run are you given access to the membership list?

You would have to run advertisments at the game to hit even a small minority of the fan base who vote.

Were you a member the last time an election was held?

If you were, you would know how candidates were introduced to the membership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I ask this as a genuine question: Is Ben Allen making any bigger a contribution to the club as the member-elected board member than he would even if he didnt have the position?

I think Allen does a good job on the board. Perhaps the club should appoint him to the board, and free up the member elected position for a "real" member.

I think you are confusing "member elected" with "elected member".

The members have a right to vote in whoever they want. Being a former player does not make Allen ineligible, nor does it make him less than a "real" member.

How is he representing you as a member? I'm not disputing he is doing a good for the club.

By using the knowledge and experience he has by voting as he see fits...that's all we can ever get...you put your trust in them and 'hope' they do the right thing...and unfortunately, as is the way with most organisations, you can only go by what's in the press.

It's a catch 22 I grant you, but with some of the agendas running around the club constantly, I'm willing to let a past captian and coach of this club to do the right thing.

Let's face it, we're never going to get members canvassed overly much on day to to day runnings of the club and that's as it should be.

Well I would prefer someone from here represented the members, that way they could leak information to us.... ;)

Knowing our luck Shane Richmond would get the position though.

I think if you want to run you should have to have been a paid up member for say, 5 years in a row, and you can't have had a role inside the club prior to running for the position. It just doesn't make sense that our membership has the ability to elect our representive, and we just voting in someone who is already in the inner sanctum - he is a former coach for ****s sake.

I think if you want to run you should have to have been a paid up member for say, 5 years in a row, and you can't have had a role inside the club prior to running for the position. It just doesn't make sense that our membership has the ability to elect our representive, and we just voting in someone who is already in the inner sanctum - he is a former coach for ****s sake.

Yeah, but he's a known quantity, who has constantly stepped up to the plate when asked.

There are enough bloody fruit loops associated with this club, who bash on about their own agendas, who may not be doing the right thing...who may agitate for the removal of a president who's doing a good job for instance...

If you look at other clubs with fully member-elected board, many of those people are former players or have had some other type of involvement in the club previously.

If you limit who can and can't nominate then aren't you just messing around with the concept of democracy?

If you look at other clubs with fully member-elected board, many of those people are former players or have had some other type of involvement in the club previously.

If you limit who can and can't nominate then aren't you just messing around with the concept of democracy?

Don't confuse them.

I have an issue with anything that excludes the people who actually know as fact, what actually goes on in our football club...the rest of us are just playing around the edges.

Don't confuse them.

I have an issue with anything that excludes the people who actually know as fact, what actually goes on in our football club...the rest of us are just playing around the edges.

isn't the entire concept of the member elected position so that we knew a little bit more about what is going on in the club? And so that we have a "say" in the club?

Exactly right.

The member elected position gives members the chance to vote for whoever nominates. It's as it should be, and restrictions imposed by the club on nominations would make the vote redundant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back