Ben Allen and the Fremantle Board

pants

Debutant
Jul 12, 2003
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
i like allen, but i would prefer someone who has no official ties with the club.

He has official ties to the club. He's a board member. He was voted in by the members. Just like Dave Garic. If he wasn't a board member he would be a former player and former coach. Nothing more, nothing less. He might be held in high regard and get a gig at some club functions but that alone doesn't "tie" him to the club.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
You do...with Ben Allan...just because he is more well known doesn't make him any less member elected

So you have you spoken to Ben Allen recently about his role on the board? When i talk about a member elected position, i would want that person to be acceptable to Joe Public. Ben doesn't even show up to the supporter functions, but gets in on name recognition. I'm not disputing he works around the club - but he clearly doesn't do much for the actual supporters of the club or listen to their concerns too often.

Roundhouse

Club Legend
Feb 9, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
isn't the entire concept of the member elected position so that we knew a little bit more about what is going on in the club? And so that we have a "say" in the club?

No. Whoever is elected has the responsibility NOT to leak information about the how the board votes or to reveal any decisions prior to when they are officially scheduled to be announced.

You don't really know much about how a board actually works do you?

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
So you have you spoken to Ben Allen recently about his role on the board? When i talk about a member elected position, i would want that person to be acceptable to Joe Public. Ben doesn't even show up to the supporter functions, but gets in on name recognition. I'm not disputing he works around the club - but he clearly doesn't do much for the actual supporters of the club or listen to their concerns too often.

No I haven't, nor any other member...including Dave
So, he should turn up and address the mob?
Why is he not acceptable to Joe Public (BTW, don't you mean average Joe?)?

I would also like to think he gets in on ability as well...let's face it, we'll know even less about "Average Joe".

pants

Debutant
Jul 12, 2003
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
So you have you spoken to Ben Allen recently about his role on the board? When i talk about a member elected position, i would want that person to be acceptable to Joe Public.

Acceptable or accessible? Because I think he's well accepted by the membership.

I'm not disputing he works around the club -but he clearly doesn't do much for the actual supporters of the club or listen to their concerns too often.

How do you know? Have you tried to contact him? I reckon if you gave him a call he would be more than happy to listen to you. After all, he's in an elected position, he has to keep those who keep him in his job happy.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
No. Whoever is elected has the responsibility NOT to leak information about the how the board votes or to reveal any decisions prior to when they are officially scheduled to be announced.

You don't really know much about how a board actually works do you?

You don't need to "leak" information to give the members a "little bit" more information about how the club works.

Roundhouse

Club Legend
Feb 9, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
Allen's perspective is primarily that of a former player/captain/coach at the club.

Where as a "real" member would bring purely bring the perspective of a supporter and member - this is what appeals to me.

Who says those perspectives are mutually exclusive?

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
The sack the coach/CEO/president stuff goes around too much for my liking (although at times it's warranted, in the case of the coach because the ulitmate test is the 4 points)...we have no real knowledge of what goes on and I would argue, what should go on...perhaps it's best that guys like Ben and Nathan Burke at St Kilda hold a part of the reins to keep things on the straight and narrow.

When the decision on coaching was made this year, it's appropriate that Ben can be overseeing it and giving valuable experienced input...nothing against Mavis from Beaconsfield...

Roundhouse

Club Legend
Feb 9, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
Roundhouse, can I count on your vote next year? After all, I just got GJ to agree with you!

Heck, I'll even volunteer to be your campaign manager!

I'd recommend forgoing the whole process of outlining a detailed blurb. Instead, just give voters the bigfooty web address attached to slogan...

"My views are the exact opposite of those of the Jeffnakor alliance". :)

You'll win in a landslide. ;)

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
What do you reckon the board would do if you put your blurb as something like "Belnakor is a local businessman, if elected he plans to sack the entire board, reinstate damien drum as coach and post the minutes of every board meeting onto the ffc website."

Roundhouse

Club Legend
Feb 9, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
What do you reckon the board would do if you put your blurb as something like "Belnakor is a local businessman, if elected he plans to sack the entire board, reinstate damien drum as coach and post the minutes of every board meeting onto the ffc website."

You'd know what the blurbs usually consist of if you bother to read them next year. The club would suggest you provide your real name, some of your skills and qualifications (so that supporters know what expertise you can offer the club) and your actual business (so they know you are not involved in anything illegal). Still, you would be free to nominate.

Go for it I say! At least you know you've got Jeffi's vote!

Jan 27, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Blackpool FC Perth Glory FC
I'm happy with Ben Allen.
Maybe GJ & Belnakor should run as a joint ticket for board next year since you both seem to feel so strongly about it.

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swan Dist, Rockets, Glasgow Rangers
I ask this as a genuine question: Is Ben Allen making any bigger a contribution to the club as the member-elected board member than he would even if he didnt have the position?

I think Allen does a good job on the board. Perhaps the club should appoint him to the board, and free up the member elected position for a "real" member.

How can we decide who is the best person when all we receive is a 2 or 3 sentence summary on each candidate?

The only time I have voted was 2 years ago when Ben Allan first nominated. I'm stoked that we have a footy person who is passionate about the club on the board, and certainly don't have a problem with him being elected.

Ben Allan crossed from a succesful club where he had just won a B&F to be our first captain. He then stepped forward in our hour of need in 2001 when he had nothing to gain from a personal point of view. He again volunteered his time at the end of 2005 when there were queries at board level.

There are very few people, if any, that have done more for our footy club. Ben Allan would have been a much more worthy winner of the inaugural Con Regan Award.

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I think if you want to run you should have to have been a paid up member for say, 5 years in a row, and you can't have had a role inside the club prior to running for the position. It just doesn't make sense that our membership has the ability to elect our representive, and we just voting in someone who is already in the inner sanctum - he is a former coach for ****s sake.

So Joe Bloggs the real estate agent from Hammy Hill who has been a member since '95 knows more about running a footy club than Ben Allan? We want the best available people there, which Ben Allan certainly is.

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
isn't the entire concept of the member elected position so that we knew a little bit more about what is going on in the club? And so that we have a "say" in the club?

So how much information have you received from Docker Dave Garic? Dave must have lost my email address.

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Question: does Ben Allen communicate in other ways?

I have been a member since before Allen was voted into this position, and I have not received much correspondence from him.

I think Allen could learn alot from the way in which MP's make themselves available to constituents. For example:

(1) An email directly from Allen to the members stating the outcome of each board meeting;
(2) An email inviting members to contact him with their concerns before each board meeting;
(3) A telephone contact number for members to contact him.

What's Dave Garic's phone number?

Oct 5, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
This is actually how Ben Allen came to run for this position. A few years back, Connoly had been under seige and a few people who were running had agendas to get rid of him. The club was worried about these people getting elected so they asked Ben Allen to stand in.

That's just bullshit. Like many Fremantle supporters Allan was surprised that Connolly had his contract extended at the start of 2005. Schwab controlled the board, and Allan thought that there was a need for someone with a footy background to get involved.

Stick to sprouting Liberal propaganda GJ, little Johnny needs all the help he can get. I heard that on his last fishing trip Ben Allan threw some children overboard.

Back