Scandal Ben Cousins at it again - Arrested

Remove this Banner Ad

I would never be involved in druggo self help groups!! There are plenty more worthy people in this world who need help, than a bunch of self centred, weak willed, junkies. And what people say behind my back is none of my business and none of my concern.
I don't think you would help anyone with anything. You're too focussed on your own magnificence. (Yeah, now you'll tell me what a helpful bloke you are to those who are deserving).

But you still didn't address the possibility that Cousins has psychiatric condition. Say he was bipolar or something - would he qualify for assistance then? I don't deny that he is one f***ed up bloke, and he needs to harness whatever self control he has left and take some action to find help, but I disagree that we can say we know everything about him, or that he doesn't have a mental illness. Now, you said in an earlier post that people with mental illness deserve a different kind of consideration than druggies - so what if he is mentally ill? What if he always was? Don't we make a lot of assumptions that this is all drug related? Don't we assume that because he was a superb sportsman, he must have been mentally competent? I'm saying we don't really know enough about him, so I would stop short of the sort of dismissive, total damnation you are engaging in.

I can pretty comfortably say that Ben is a very (mentally) unwell individual. I cannot believe he hasn't been involuntarily admitted, as hard as that is. The lack of beds these days is so concerning for such a prevalent issue.

I don't think you would help anyone with anything. You're too focussed on your own magnificence. (Yeah, now you'll tell me what a helpful bloke you are to those who are deserving).

But you still didn't address the possibility that Cousins has psychiatric condition. Say he was bipolar or something - would he qualify for assistance then? I don't deny that he is one f***ed up bloke, and he needs to harness whatever self control he has left and take some action to find help, but I disagree that we can say we know everything about him, or that he doesn't have a mental illness. Now, you said in an earlier post that people with mental illness deserve a different kind of consideration than druggies - so what if he is mentally ill? What if he always was? Don't we make a lot of assumptions that this is all drug related? Don't we assume that because he was a superb sportsman, he must have been mentally competent? I'm saying we don't really know enough about him, so I would stop short of the sort of dismissive, total damnation you are engaging in.

Why do you say he PROBABLY has a mental condition? How do you know he's not just a drug addict?? And if he did have 'bipolar or something' is that really an excuse for destroying his life and that of his family's? Millions have 'bipolar or something' who don't take drugs and become dangers to society.

But yeah mate, good one, let's berate the blokes who DONT use drugs. You're a good contribution to today's society.

And you're right, It's only people who self inflict troubles on their lives that I've no interest in. I work at a children's ward, sponsor and rescue animals, make sure my family volunteers every time we travel, and sponsor children in 3 third world countries. But you keep giving drugs addicts an excuse and running down those who don't use drugs. That's a good thing to do too.

Last edited:

I work at a children's ward, sponsor and rescue animals, make sure my family volunteers every time we travel, and sponsor children in 3 third world countries.
Loled.

Why do you say he PROBABLY has a mental condition? How do you know he's not just a drug addict?? And if he did have 'bipolar or something' is that really an excuse for destroying his life and that of his family's? Millions have 'bipolar or something' who don't take drugs and become dangers to society.
I didn't say "probably", I said it's a possibility. You are too confident in your assumptions.

I work at a children's ward, sponsor and rescue animals, make sure my family volunteers every time we travel, and sponsor children in 3 third world countries.
So you're a regular Mother Theresa, aren't you? I would suggest you are exaggerating your charitable accomplishments to make your point. If you were that charitable, you wouldn't make the types of assumptions you do - including the black/white demarcation of addicts/non-addicts. Druggies/mentally ill. Real people don't align themselves this neatly for our judgement/scorn.

But you keep giving drugs addicts an excuse and running down those who don't use drugs. That's a good thing to do too.
I don't know where you get your BS from.

I didn't say "probably", I said it's a possibility. You are too confident in your assumptions.

So you're a regular Mother Theresa, aren't you? I would suggest you are exaggerating your charitable accomplishments to make your point. If you were that charitable, you wouldn't make the types of assumptions you do - including the black/white demarcation of addicts/non-addicts. Druggies/mentally ill. Real people don't align themselves this neatly for our judgement/scorn.

I don't know where you get your BS from.
What if I said I did it all cause I suffered mental illness? Cause that seems a more believable scenario for you. I would suggest real people live in the world, where I do. 99 times out of 100, things are exactly as they seem. It's a shame you live in a world that you look for excuses for dead beats and question those who do good. Best of luck with that champ.

Oh, and that you don't get 'cured' from hard drug is garbage. I was a heroin addict for over 10 years. I chose to 'cure' myself. I just stopped being a drug addict. It IS that simple.
Ha...just another keyboard warrior, your so full of s**t i can smell you from here....the closest you've probably been to heroin was watching Xena the warrior princess at your future boyfriends slumber party.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've worked in the health system and seen it first hand, the handling of mental illness is a subpar as the resources just aren't there enough. It's not a sexy issue for the government sadly.

Yep. But self-medicating a mental illness with psychotropic drugs is a recipe for disaster.

There's no evidence that Cousins started using to escape an illness. Think that's what Legends Anon was getting at.

to categorise people who choose to use illegal drugs together with people suffering genuine mental illness is an insult to people who are truly suffering. I'm not sure how much clearer I can be?

Mental illness is mental illness, like Shupe pointed out. Just because someone uses drugs doesn't mean they don't have a mental illness. Cousins may well have dug his own grave, I'm not arguing that point. But his behaviour has been typical of both. Even if drugs contribute to or create a mental illness, it doesn't change the fact that it's still a mentally ill person. You seem to think we are excusing him, we aren't. We are saying that if a person breaks their leg jumping off a a house yes it's their own doing, but it's still a broken leg.

Yep. But self-medicating a mental illness with psychotropic drugs is a recipe for disaster.

There's no evidence that Cousins started using to escape an illness. Think that's what Legends Anon was getting at.

I know that. Leaving them to roam about is not a great idea. Regardless of the reason they are ill. I've already said Ben has made his bed. He chose to do drugs. However having the attitude of '* em let em rot' helps no one. In fact it actually puts the public at risk.

'Genuine mental illness'. Mental illness is mental illness, mate.
And no where, except public forums, is anyone saying mental illness about this bloke. No where in his book, his doco, his family, his friends, no where. Just fan boys and girls who want to hold up signs 'applauding what you've overcome'. It's idol worship at its worst. And not helping the man in question one little bit.

And no where, except public forums, is anyone saying mental illness about this bloke. No where in his book, his doco, his family, his friends, no where. Just fan boys and girls who want to hold up signs 'applauding what you've overcome'. It's idol worship at its worst. And not helping the man in question one little bit.
Idol worship and personal responsibility..
bit rich coming from Essendon supporter!

Actually he was/still is having his mental health assessed. The difficulty, like that has been stated before, there are a distinct lack of beds (in WA, not sure about the rest of the country) for those who need help. Not to mention that extreme difficulty in involuntarily admitting a patient.

The story I've heard around his latest little episodes all link together and scream to me that he has indeed lost the plot. He needs help.

What if I said I did it all cause I suffered mental illness? Cause that seems a more believable scenario for you. I would suggest real people live in the world, where I do. 99 times out of 100, things are exactly as they seem. It's a shame you live in a world that you look for excuses for dead beats and question those who do good. Best of luck with that champ.

You can keep trying to put words in my mouth if you like, but it's not making you look any smarter.

All I've said is that you are not in possession of all the information - your judgements are too certain, too final, when you may be way off. Do you not see the irony in you stating with certainty that you reside in the real world, but I don't? You are making certain judgements about me too now. The problem is, you don't know me, or Ben Cousins. You are too sure of yourself and your tough opinions.

Ben Cousins might have a mental illness. It might be a contributing factor. It doesn't excuse all the dumbass things he's done, but if it is a factor, it needs to be treated alongside his drug problem. Nobody is disputing the fact that Cousins needs to take responsibility for whatever is wrong with him - be it his drugs problem, mental illness, or both.

If you can't grasp this concept, there is something wrong with you.

Actually he was/still is having his mental health assessed. The difficulty, like that has been stated before, there are a distinct lack of beds (in WA, not sure about the rest of the country) for those who need help. Not to mention that extreme difficulty in involuntarily admitting a patient.

The story I've heard around his latest little episodes all link together and scream to me that he has indeed lost the plot. He needs help.
Yeah buddy, drug induced psychosis. Of course he's had his mental health assessed. Happens when people get arrested. AND he's been released!! But FYI, it's extremely easy to have someone sectioned under mental health laws. Particularly if someone does actually have mental health issues. What does him not being sectioned tell yas?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back