Scandal Ben Cousins at it again - Arrested

Remove this Banner Ad

Tiimmbo

Premium Platinum
Aug 29, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
The term "sectioned" is rarely used in WA...We use voluntary or involuntary status in reference to mental health patients. I can tell you that a family member saying "I am concerned for their well being", will NOT always lead to a person becoming an involuntary patient!...in fact, the legal aspects of someone becoming an involuntary patient are quite complex. it starts with an authorized mental health practitioner or doctor suspecting that someone HAS a mental illness....not only that, but the person must be a risk to themselves or others and must be refusing treatment. After suspecting this and meeting this criteria, the person may then be referred under Sec 26 and 28 of the Mental health Act (1996, but soon to be replaced by the 2014 act). This allows the person to be detained in an Authorized hospital for 24 hours. During this time, the patient must be examined by a psychiatrist. This examination can have a few outcomes: The patient does meet the criteria for involuntary detention and can be detained for 28 days under a Form 6. The patient is deemed to have a mental illness and agrees to treatment...this may lead to a voluntary admission, or the person may be discharged as an involuntary patient on a community treatment order (Form 10).The psychiatrist may believe that he needs more time to examine the patient, so may detain the person for a further 72 hours for further examination (Form 4). Finally, the patient may be deemed to not have a mental illness and be discharged. this is explained in Sec 43 of the act.
Whilst matters communicated to the doctor may be taken into consideration when considering a referral ("I am concerned for their well being"), the referrer must actually examine the patient and fulfill the requirements of section 26....the mental health review board and office of chief psychiatrist would be very very unhappy otherwise!!
So to summarize: Cousins may well have been referred for examination and may have been discharged after he agreed to voluntary treatment. He may have been examined and found to not have a mental illness, or he may well be released on a community treatment order. I dont know, you dont know....

It's section 26 and 29 not 28

Troubadour

Cancelled
Jun 19, 2010
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
It's interesting that his accessing the Army base has resulted in an internal investigation amidst suggestions some morphine may have been walking out the back door and he may have had access codes for the gates.

Jan 5, 2009
WA
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fremantle
It's interesting that his accessing the Army base has resulted in an internal investigation amidst suggestions some morphine may have been walking out the back door and he may have had access codes for the gates.

That sounds a bit farfetched on the surface. I'd say there would be easier ways to smuggle painkillers out of the base than having BC commando his way in there like Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon.

General Soreness

Awkward Squad
Aug 30, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/w...ousins-daniel-kerr-probe-20150421-1mpns4.html

An internal police investigation is under way after what acting Police Commissioner Stephen Brown called disappointing behaviour by a "large number of police employees". The investigation will examine how many officers might have accessed the police dispatch system to get updates on investigations into the two former footballers over separate alleged offences. "The community can rest assured that we hold their information in high regard and will conduct investigations into all suspected breaches of our computer systems," the acting commissioner told The West Australian. Any officer convicted of unauthorised computer use could face up to a year in jail, or a $12,000 fine. But officers can be jailed for up to a decade if the information they access is used to gain a benefit. Mr Tilbury said the officers had done nothing more than demonstrate a "professional curiosity" in the ex-AFL stars and there was no suggestion of any corruption. "WA Police are setting a dangerous precedent going down this path of potentially criminally charging hundreds of officers just for looking at a job on the police computer," he said.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/w...ousins-daniel-kerr-probe-20150421-1mpns4.html

Troubadour

Cancelled
Jun 19, 2010
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
That sounds a bit farfetched on the surface. I'd say there would be easier ways to smuggle painkillers out of the base than having BC commando his way in there like Bruce Lee in Enter the Dragon.

I think the Army's main concern was he had the access codes to the gates so there was no need to commando. He just wandered in, with the inference being someone provided the codes to enable an on base meet up, perhaps involving an exchange of morphine ampoules for cash

Insiders claim Cousins got through the perimeter – or a gate with an electronic code – then further breached internal security.
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wes...ampbell-barracks/story-fnhocxo3-1227309754547

Jan 5, 2009
WA
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fremantle
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...en-Cousins-allow-girlfriend-scoop-arrest.html

Interesting article. In no way am i saying that what Ben was doing was right but this copper is no better

The article also says 112 WA Police Officers accessed Cousins' file 300 times in 2 days. Seems a bit rough that this guy loses his job and nothing should happen to the other 100 odd cops who looked him up. Just because they didn't "use the information to their advantage" they are free to keep on snooping.

I wonder if any copper has ever bought a second hand car without doing a full criminal record & related history check on the seller.

javaguice

Premiership Player
Feb 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
The article also says 112 WA Police Officers accessed Cousins' file 300 times in 2 days. Seems a bit rough that this guy loses his job and nothing should happen to the other 100 odd cops who looked him up. Just because they didn't "use the information to their advantage" they are free to keep on snooping.

I wonder if any copper has ever bought a second hand car without doing a full criminal record & related history check on the seller.

The guys GF works for CH7 - which was the issue. He tipped her off.

EDIT - lol, obviously (read article) but thats not the same as having a little look like the other dodgy 100 odd coppers

Aug 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Well they couldn't afford a new one

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He consistently shows that he hasnt got the willpower to throw away the pipe.
Others can but even with strong family support and a solid network of friends the will to relapse is too easy.

A good mrs, kids, a decent job, all these things arent going to save him.

His best option is to isolate himself completely from ice. All these temporary fixes just arent cutting it. Hes not causing harm onto anyone but himself so jail isnt the solution. His family has suffered enough on his behalf.
He is better off moving to a country where all his contacts cant reach him.

Sep 12, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
And? The guy is a known drug addict. He doesn't play footy anymore.
Why should his struggles play out in public?

He'll hopefully get better but most likely will not.. leave him be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back