• Trengove

Votes: 80 53.0%
  • Cunnington

Votes: 71 47.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I'm not sure about that - Cunnington is exactly the kind of player who does grow on trees.

You could find 3-5 Cunningtons in every draft.

Disagree. I expect the average punter sees him as your average hard nut inside mid. He's far more than that.

I expect if I started a Cunnington vs Taylor Adams thread there wouldn't be much in it. In reality, Adams is a brute but lacks Cunnington's poise and creativity under pressure. Players who create 'clean' clearances are very rare.

Disagree. I expect the average punter sees him as your average hard nut inside mid. He's far more than that.

I expect if I started a Cunnington vs Taylor Adams thread there wouldn't be much in it. In reality, Adams is a brute but lacks Cunnington's poise and creativity under pressure. Players who create 'clean' clearances are very rare.

Jack Stevens has Cunnington covered.

Nah, I think he's better then your average hard nut.

On the same page as guys like Adams, Prestia, Redden, Conca, Wallis, Libba.

I don't think he's got the game to be a top 5 mid in the comp, I think he could be a top 50 player no doubt.

If he really develops that goal kicking game then MAYBE.

Luke Ball type.

Nah, I think he's better then your average hard nut.

On the same page as guys like Adams, Prestia, Redden, Conca, Wallis, Libba.

I don't think he's got the game to be a top 5 mid in the comp, I think he could be a top 50 player no doubt.

If he really develops that goal kicking game then MAYBE.

I agree (except I think he and Libba are a level above those others). I love him but cringe a little when people on the North board compare him to Pendles. It's tough to become absolutely elite (top 5) without some special physical attributes to go with the natural football ability.

I agree (except I think he and Libba are a level above those others). I love him but cringe a little when people on the North board compare him to Pendles. It's tough to become absolutely elite (top 5) without some special physical attributes to go with the natural football ability.

Yeah, if you don't have those physical elements the only way you can become a truly elite player is through being as pure a footballer as there is and being able to impact games in a variety of positions (see Hodge and Bartel).

Right now he is, but he's improving very, very quickly and has huge ceiling. He's an inside midfielder who will be top 5 in the league for clearances and top 10 for contested possessions (as he currently is) for the next 7 years and will up his tackle numbers from top 20 to top 10 very soon as he gets more size and strength, yet also kicks goals and importantly, multiple goals. This kind of player doesn't grow on trees. When he's 25/26, he's going to be phenomenal.

Also, I'll be gentle here, but when it comes to tipping the relative fortunes of North v Melbourne over the journey, I have the runs on the board ... just ask Show Some Fight

Very astute prediction about us my friend, but not sure about North. Think you're discrediting Trengove a tiny bit, really liked his game on Monday. 17 touches and 2 goals.

His ability to create space and time to operate in, however fleetuing, in the contested situation, is amazing.

His ability to create space and time to operate in, however fleetuing, in the contested situation, is amazing.

He waltzed around Ablett a couple of times v GC.

He waltzed around Ablett a couple of times v GC.

He beat Ablett repeatedly one on one vs GC, I haven't actually seen anyone do that in a long long time. Shame we couldn't have had 10 of him out there.

I was a bit iffy when we drafted him, wanted Rohan, not another inside mid.

But I'm with the inner scrotum types now who reckon he'll be the best of the kids. I love JZ, but Cunners is something else. He has the pure inside grunt married to razzle dazzle (lookaway handballs etc).

He beat Ablett repeatedly one on one vs GC, I haven't actually seen anyone do that in a long long time. Shame we couldn't have had 10 of him out there.

I was a bit iffy when we drafted him, wanted Rohan, not another inside mid.

But I'm with the inner scrotum types now who reckon he'll be the best of the kids. I love JZ, but Cunners is something else. He has the pure inside grunt married to razzle dazzle (lookaway handballs etc).

Beat Ablett repeatedly??? I along with everyone else watched Ablett dismantle everything North threw at him that night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beat Ablett repeatedly??? I along with everyone else watched Ablett dismantle everything North threw at him that night.

Ablett was indeed awesome that night, but there were a number of occasions, especially in the 3rd quarter, when Cunnington beat him in one on one contests. Shame, as I said, we didn't have 10 Cunningtons.

Ablett was indeed awesome that night, but there were a number of occasions, especially in the 3rd quarter, when Cunnington beat him in one on one contests. Shame, as I said, we didn't have 10 Cunningtons.

I cant fathom what your point is. The ball bounced the right way for Cunnington a couple of times.

I cant fathom what your point is. The ball bounced the right way for Cunnington a couple of times.

No, a bit more than that happened.

For his age, Cunnington's clearance ability is much more impressive. He's from the 2009 draft, not the 2007, and so it seems only fair to compare him to the fellow 2009 draftees. From that draft alone, only focusing on midfielders, I only have Fyfe and Martin ahead of him.
You could make a case that Bastinac has been better and is ahead too, but we have them both so it doesn't really matter.

Cunnington utterly smashed Melbourne yesterday. 34 touches, couple of goals, extracting at will.

Barely noticed Trengove.

You could make a case that Bastinac has been better and is ahead too, but we have them both so it doesn't really matter.

Maybe, although playing at Melbourne has to have a massive impact on one's career. But Bastinac has had more good games than Trengove. Nothing that Trengove does really suggests he's elite, but Cunnington's clearance and contested ability is superb.

Maybe, although playing at Melbourne has to have a massive impact on one's career. But Bastinac has had more good games than Trengove. Nothing that Trengove does really suggests he's elite, but Cunnington's clearance and contested ability is superb.

With the bonus that he kicks goals too.

He wasn't a top 5 pick for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back