Moved Thread Ben Griffiths Contract Discussion - SIgned

How much would you offer Griffiths per year (assume 2yr contract)?

• Lower

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 7 4.5%

Votes: 22 14.3%

Votes: 67 43.5%

Votes: 42 27.3%

Votes: 6 3.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Higher

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade

Votes: 5 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The one thing i will go to bat for Tyrone is that he does one thing that Griffiths does not do. When the ball goes in deep, Tyrone does block for Jack. It is IMO one reason jacks goals have dried up as Jack does not have another marking forward running patterns and taking his man away from Jack. IMO I really do believe we can play all three in jack deep with Tyrone as a foil and Griffith at center half forward leading up the guts to take a grab and kick the ball deep.

Exciting times!

It might have been to get the point across - but the point actually is if it is heavily incentivised - and he plays - then it isn't too low - remember, he gets $200k if he doesn't play a game!!!!!!

I am unrelated to Griff btw, never met him. From afar maybe the base can be pushed out to 230k and then have incentives. I am a proponent for incentives, they definitely have a place but I think Griff needs to be shown he definitely is a wanted player and is a key to our plans. Pushing the base out a little should remove any doubt or fear of exploitation via not getting games due to different managerial player mix perceptions which may have been assumed in the past by stakeholders including myself as a supporter. Remember if management are a little bold and confident in its support of players the players and team grow off that and are empowered to believe and develop more from more confidence in themselves of where they are at and how they need to go about it IMO

IMO I really do believe we can play all three in jack deep with Tyrone as a foil and Griffith at center half forward leading up the guts to take a grab and kick the ball deep.

Exciting times!
I agree. And the way McBean plays, there's no reason he can't also be in a forward pocket crumbing to the "bigger" guys.

Not sure why Ben would be fearing for his spot. There's room for them all if he's good enough.

One thing also with Ben. We have been s**t most of his time on our list. He also has been injured for a good chunk of that time too. So why on earth would he leave to the Saints or Dogs when he is now playing consistent game time with a side who should now be playing finals more often then not ?

Food for thought

I've read "power forward" a few times. Whoever is calling Ben a power forward clearly has a different definition to me. His last couple of weeks have been really good, but I see him potentially becoming a poor man's Nick Riewoldt in terms of playing style - that is more a hit up, rangey type player. A power forward is someone you build your deep forward line around who can monster his opponent. Jonathon Brown. Patton (poor kid). To me those true monster/power forwards are worth their weight in gold. It's why I could believe the dogs would offer Patton $900k. I like Ben, hope he stays, and think he can be a good CHF for many years, but I don't see him as a dominant power forward, and therefore wouldn't break the bank to keep him.

$300 to $350k a year tops largely based on the confidence and form he's shown the last two weeks.
Nick Riewoldt doesn't chop out in the ruck
This is crucial for Ivan's longevity
Griffo and Ben huge working together

Nah that's too low. Considering what Hampson supposedly on, fact Griff can be our effective half forward option and critical to the structural effectiveness of our forward line and how Lids, Dusty etc perform 200k is too low particularly given his age profile and effect he can make to our future aspirations if encouraged appropriately.

From what I have seen given Griffs weight compared to Patton in terms of injury risk, if Griff gets enough of a go I am confident enough to back him in a little. From afar I am not sure Griff has been managed that well regarding opportunity etc to be honest. He has shown enough at regular enough times to spend a carrot or 2 his way IMO. He has the long penetrated kick that creates problem for oppositions difficult to negate and his movement is good enough! The most important thing is Griff appears to be a good fit for our medium forwards and other deeper forwards. Griff really is quite important to our success if he continues on in the way he Has applied himself this year in AFL matches IMO.
Remember Griffith's is clear levels above Mcbean ATM. What is TV on ATM?
TV is on too much compared to his output

griff bunnings traralgon raising money for dogs,and you cant blame him for wanting out sees vickery reiwoldt and mcbean all ahead of him.
Well if he truly believes this he can get nicked. How about you push them aside and take their position and don't give it up. Have some ball Griffs. That's IF he actually said/believes this mind you.

It depends on who they are
Of course but it could mean a best 22 player for that money. No point gaining a player to play a role, the lose another doing so. So the best way is to pay ALL players their worth in our pay structure, then no one cracks the sads or ruins what we are trying to achieve.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree I said it from day one , but the blokes clapping about have finally realised
Agree keep our own guns. I'm not saying to give Griffo $500k , but if its going to take to keep him then get it done and send Newman off in a car on the last day in September

Well actually yes you are saying that. You want to upgrade some of our players for better versions, yet by doing this with Griff it stifles any chance of doing so.

I haven't mentioned Newman, you're the one who brought him up. I've mentioned the likes of Cotchin Martin Rance & Ellis who all come out of contract next year, all have performed at a much higher level than Griffiths has and 4 blokes who will be looking for a reasonable contract during the next 12 months. If we are to send Newman off to retirement I'd rather spread his $300k of cap space among those 4 and ensure we keep them because as I said they are players who have the runs on the board unlike Griffiths who hasn't.

For mine, pay/offer Griffiths about $200k per season for the next 2 years. That is about double what he'd be on now. It rewards him for his potential and gives him incentive to perform over the next couple of years to earn the big coin a dominant consistent KPF earns. If he doesn't want it then see you later, trade him out and go and get someone else to fill the void. If he does sign, he'll get to play in a side about to have sustained success, will be second fiddle to an established gun and if he stands up he will earn the big coin without putting himself under much pressure along the way. If he does perform he'll be worthy of getting a contract in the vicinity you're talking about because he'll actually have earned it through performances, not potential.
I would give him a little more than that, ie around 250k with incentives to get to 300k, but that's it.

When you are chasing a contracted player that you believe will help your club, you have to pay overs, it's why opposition clubs that want Griffiths will be looking to pay him more than what we'll be willing to pay him. Hampson hasn't paid off but again that is not the issue we're talking about and continuing to go back to it once again shows that you know you're wrong.
Deflecting the issue.

Bc it's fact we e paid way overs for 3 delisted players their respective clubs didn't want them. They ere three list cloggers so they ended up at the DH friendly football club on fat contracts
Go and check out the archives. I'm not a bull s**t artist RT
I wouldn't confuse you just ask the ex supporters in their club threads they'll verify it

Hahahaha

Back