Moved Thread Ben Griffiths Contract Discussion - SIgned

How much would you offer Griffiths per year (assume 2yr contract)?

• Lower

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 7 4.5%

Votes: 22 14.3%

Votes: 67 43.5%

Votes: 42 27.3%

Votes: 6 3.9%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Higher

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Trade

Votes: 5 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Damo80

Premiership Player
Jul 11, 2011
Latrobe Valley
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions
yes thats why its a discussion and I don't care about the second point or first point.
its the fact that its not really what Ben wants,but what clubs are prepared to offer him and what do we do and get for him IF we let him go?
Its discussion and thats it, but its intriguing on what people think.Welcome to the world of blood sucking managers and little loyalty between players and clubs.
Really IF our original offer to BEN is not modified he will be left with little option,but to leave.
Which then to me the club is at fault for under valuing his potential.
Remember its opinion:)
All good... I don't know figures in terms of what we've offered him compared to what he's likely to get elsewhere. Wouldn't surprise me if he could get $400k+ elsewhere, and we're offering $250k.

Every half decent player probably has the opportunity to earn extra money by moving clubs each time their contact comes up. I'd be offering Ben a fair contact (maybe around $300k - based largely on the promising signs over the past couple of weeks) and expect him to sign. If he doesn't, then that's on him. We just can't go matching contact terms for every player whose "blood sucking manager" fields offers, so it's obviously not a precedent I'd want to start with Ben.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
All good... I don't know figures in terms of what we've offered him compared to what he's likely to get elsewhere. Wouldn't surprise me if he could get $400k+ elsewhere, and we're offering $250k.

Every half decent player probably has the opportunity to earn extra money by moving clubs each time their contact comes up. I'd be offering Ben a fair contact (maybe around $300k - based largely on the promising signs over the past couple of weeks) and expect him to sign. If he doesn't, then that's on him. We just can't go matching contact terms for every player whose "blood sucking manager" fields offers, so it's obviously not a precedent I'd want to start with Ben.
300k is chicken feed to me but I see your side of it

Last edited:

The Rusty Trombone

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2007
K Mart Car Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
World Donkey Punch Championships
So that's a yes from you, as you believe the coach is silly ;)

Might stretch them down back though..... Who have they got, Richards, Grundy and ????
It won't stretch their four running backs when the ball hits the ground and they rebound for another attack

guruisatiger

Grand Poohbah of Ganymede
Oct 25, 2006
from the hinterlands of sri lanka and tibet
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
B.S.C youngboys.. Borussia Dortmund
the tea leaves are troubling oshan says big ben will be departing punt road while asanka says big ben will remain at punt road,, warnakularisaya who is a legend here at dilmah is reveiwing all the evidence and has promised the true answer will be revealed tomorrow

The Rusty Trombone

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2007
K Mart Car Park
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
World Donkey Punch Championships
That's always the gamble when sides go tall.... They'll probably go with Buddy, Tippett, Reid and Goodes.... so hopefully we'll run off them too!!!
Those players except for Reid take their marks and give a contest at ground level. Jack and Vickery aren't strong in those areas at this point in time

Rich o man

All Australian
Oct 19, 2009
Carlton North
AFL Club
Richmond
I
the tea leaves are troubling oshan says big ben will be departing punt road while asanka says big ben will remain at punt road,, warnakularisaya who is a legend here at dilmah is reveiwing all the evidence and has promised the true answer will be revealed tomorrow
If only we were still sponsored by Tetley. We would know the answer now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Reading through all the posts i have noticed that most are worried about over paying griffiths just incase he doesnt live upto hope or expectations and thats only natural with the way richmonds drafting and contracts have been made in the last 30 years BUT

There is another view that has not been discussed or posted yet and that is (i voted $350 for 3 years) If we contract Ben Griffiths for 3 years for $350k and i believe combined with a clear explanation of his role and he will get every opportunity that if he does actually become the player that we all hope he will will we are assured his services at 4350 for 3 years and could end up being a bargain Big me of his ability are GOLD and will be paid accordingly

just think about gunston although he is smaller , he hadnt really done alot more than ben when Hawthorn snared him from adelaide, or if sam ried was available what would we pay him , what have sydney paid him for 3 years

I think that in 2 years time Ben Griffiths will be good enough to hold down CHF and combined with Vickery will be a nightmare 2nd/3rd Ruck combination for opposition teams and maybe just maybe if McBean ends up being the player we hope in 4 years time we will have all 3 rotating through the Ruck asnd Foward line and wont need a dedicated ruckman - Maric will be done by then

Apart from the goals scored Ben Griffiths is on par with Kurt Tippet at the same age and He will inprove his goal kicking now that he is not being played as a defender

theflea

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 16, 2010
victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I've finally figured out why we're going in circles. You're arguing on a different point to nearly everyone else here.

There are two issues at hand:
- what Ben can earn if he shops his services around to other clubs
- what RFC should be offering him.

Most seem to be looking at the second point, but you're more concerned about the first. I couldn't really care less about the first point - and yes, I'm well aware it does have an impact on the second - but at some point Ben needs to decide if he wants to stick with the club, or if he wants to take the easy and more lucrative way out.

Simply put, we can't pay every player on our list going market rates. The salary cap simply doesn't allow it. I'd rather our club offer a fair price, and develop a list of players who choose to stay despite the opportunity to go elsewhere for that little bit extra money. Griff is no different... The ball is in his court.
I would have thought that is obvious frankly, which is why I asked for a poll with the 2 questions.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Richmond
It will all come down to whether Griff believes he's best 22 at tigerland. I see it more to do with game time than money. Everyone wants to be playing in the big league.

Wish we didn't spend all that money on Hampton :(

If next year Hampton stays and griff leaves that's poor management.

"all the money"? Hampson was reportedly on less than 300k a year.

Fringe player with potential, but also question marks.

Short answer is 'as little as we can' (which really should be the answer for every player in order to clear cap space).

Depends how much genuine interest there is in him.
If there doesn't seem to be much, I'd go for 1 year, 200K and make him think it was a coin toss as to if we keep him.
If other clubs are interested, up to 2 years, 300k, although if it's looking like that, I'd also find out what the trade value was.

ScallyWag1

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2008
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
tumblr_m43db18pBW1r7mvdfo1_500.jpg

Jade's_

Club Legend
Suspended
May 21, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Apart from the goals scored Ben Griffiths is on par with Kurt Tippet at the same age and He will inprove his goal kicking now that he is not being played as a defender

A difference of 1.5 goals per game is fairly telling for a key forward. At the same age as Griffiths, Tippett had a 55 goal season to his name.

Ben might sneak into double figures this weekend.

Even Quinten Lynch had kicked 65 goals in a season (admittedly in the premiership side) at the same age as Griff

Back