Past Ben Hudson (2012-2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hudson hangs up the boots
30 Oct, 2012

Brisbane Lions ruckman Ben Hudson has announced his retirement from AFL football after 161 games in nine seasons.

Hudson, who turns 34 in February, delayed his retirement at the end of 2011 by joining the Lions as a ‘back-up’ senior ruckman.

His recruitment proved to be a masterstroke, as an early-season Achilles injury to Matthew Leuenberger saw Hudson step up to play 18 games for the Lions in 2012 - far more than he, and the Club, had anticipated.

Let's hope they don't bring in the silly new ruck rules to the NEAFL so Huddo can get 1 or 2 more years of footy.

Thanks for the great effort you put into the club in your wonderful 1 year at the Lions! Such a workhorse and you never gave up. You were our saving grace this year Huddo and I and many other Lions fans will miss you. Good luck in all future endeavours.

Ben has joined the dark side...

Link

The silent season of retirement clearly doesn’t agree with Ben Hudson. The enduring career of the 33 year-old ruckman, which has twice been officially brought to a close, is set to continue at Collingwood.

Hudson has joined the Magpies as a ruck coach, with specific responsibility for mentoring the club’s two young ruckmen, Jarrod Witts and Brodie Grundy. However, the club has also applied to the AFL for permission for Hudson to commence training with the club with an eye to recruiting him in the upcoming rookie draft.

Saw Huddo today doing some shopping on the north end of the Gold Coast. Looking fit still.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben Hudson will make his debut for a 4th club this weekend as Collingwood take on Hawthorn.

Final team.
Good for him, can't wait to see him out there.

Meanwhile, love the title of this thread. Ben Hudson (2012-2012), surely just Ben Hudson (2012) covers it? :p

Big Ben still clocking on
July 18, 2013
Ashley Brown

THE FIRST few times Nathan Buckley's number came up on his phone, Ben Hudson let it go through to his voicemail.

He had his suspicions why the Collingwood coach was calling, but he didn't have the heart to tell his family.

After all, they were back and settled on the Gold Coast, where had already come out of retirement once at the end of 2011 to play for the Brisbane Lions.

Eventually he took the call and he found Buckley's spiel hard to resist – ruck coach at Collingwood, mentor to some of the young players and, well, who knows after that.

"He sold it to me as a unique opportunity," Hudson told AFL.com.au this week.

"I just had to convince my family (wife Rita and sons Ignatius and Stirling), but they were pretty good about it."

So after 55 games for Adelaide, 88 for the Western Bulldogs and 18 for the Lions, the 34-year-old found himself back on the AFL treadmill once more.

284486-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

It's gonna suck seeing him in those colours, but wish him nothing but the best.

I laughed, but yeah the big man wins hearts wherever he goes. I wonder what he thinks playing in front of the Pies hordes as compared to our respective teams more moderate crowds.

No wonder our forward line has been so good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back