Ben Jacobs trip

Remove this Banner Ad

The angle of the gif makes it look like his hip collects Jacobs above the knee, which probably draws attention away from the fact Shuey's left leg takes out both ankles.

That is clutching at straws at best by their supporters imo.

Lets be honest though, at best, they are a bunch of clueless flogs.

Tagger doesn't get a free kick. Oh well.

See this is being honest. Its like Balantyne giving away a free kick against Stratton when he ran in to him. The umpire knows that Balantyne is a flog so figured it was deliberate, even though it probably wasnt.

That said, I would love for the umpire to explain how Jacobs managed to end up horizontal to the ground...

If you look between Ellis arms as he falls, you can clearly see all of the NM players lower leg, and at no point does Ellis hit it. Then when on the ground he is tackled. Holding the ball.

Thank you for clearly and concisely explaining the booing at Eagles home games

I admire your steadfast conviction and total denial of objective reality

Thank you for clearly and concisely explaining the booing at Eagles home games

I admire your steadfast conviction and total denial of objective reality
You can cry all you like. I just have to look at the video to be comfortable with the decision. Doesn't mean I do not think the eagles didn't get the rub of the green. Shuey shouldn't have got a free for high contact, but there was high contact, so technically correct. Yeo gave away a free when he went far to early in a marking contest, but he actually barely touched the north player, and didn't keep him from the marking contest, so also play on for mind. Umps had a howler, just not as one sided as the cryers are making out.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

You can cry all you like. I just have to look at the video to be comfortable with the decision. Doesn't mean I do not think the eagles didn't get the rub of the green. Shuey shouldn't have got a free for high contact, but there was high contact, so technically correct. Yeo gave away a free when he went far to early in a marking contest, but he actually barely touched the north player, and didn't keep him from the marking contest, so also play on for mind. Umps had a howler, just not as one sided as the cryers are making out.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Not crying, we have a terrible finals history against North (admiitedly going back to the early 70s)
There seems to be something about blue and white that makes our senior players do really stupid things
And I just hate Firrito Petrie Thomas and Harvey
Happy to see the cheap free against Firrito on the boundary
Delighted to see Petrie spud things up all game
And Harvey went missing when the game was a contest
Even cheap frees against that diving squib in the green vest
Still love XEllis and happy for him to play in another GF

But Terrible umpiring performance.
The amusing thing was how often poor umpiring did not alter the eventual outcome of passages of play.
Dodgy free kick? Doesn't matter, only scored a point anyway!

Thought Shuey ducked and should have been play on, but high contact is a much easier decision
Jacobs should have had a free kick in junk time, but the game was already over

A couple of goals wouldn't bring the better side back to the level of the losers
And I am sure you can remember a couple of examples the other way

The decisions (or rather non-decisions) that upset me were the umpteen HTB/ incorrect disposal that were not paid

I know that is how the game is umpired now, but I hate it

The question not being asked is is every successfull smother a trip if you not only connect with the ball but also the leg, becasue that happens ALL the time.
Shuey was trying to smother, Jacobs dummied the kick but by that time Shuey was too far through the smother action and there was no other option, the contact was created by Jacobs.
Now in the Fyfe one, he lifted his leg off the ground after starting the slide which caused the trip plus he has time to move his leg out of the way. Fyfe does this alot and he is very lucky he hasn't been suspended for it.
Jacobs didn't 'dummy' the kick!!!!!!!!!!

He actually IS that slow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Legging/contact below the knees has nothing to do with intent. I'm not sure why this keeps getting brought up, unless you're discussing whether it is reportable or not?
Contact to a player below the knees isn't always a free kick. Before the Lindsay Thomas Rule was bought in players could make any sort of contact with a player below the knees as long as it wasn't a trip by hand or by foot i.e. deliberate.

The only thing that has changed is that 'forceful contact below the knees' is now an offence. AKA the 'sliding rule' which is a misnomer - the player doesn't have to slide. You can still make contact with a player below the knees as long as it isn't forceful and likely to injure the player. This is different from a trip.

From the laws of the game - the 'sliding rule' and tripping.
A Player makes Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player if the Player:
(a)makes contact or attempts to make contact with any part of their body with an opposition Player in a manner likely to cause injury;
(i) above the shoulders (including the top of the shoulders or bump to the head); or
(ii) below the knees.

(h) trips or attempts to trip an opposition Player, whether by the use of hand, arm, foot or leg;
Maybe it fits into (h) but I've always thought that this was for a deliberate action. It mentions by hand, arm, foot or leg, rather than 'any part of the body' and also includes 'attempts to trip' which has to be deliberate. I'm arguing that Shuey's contact wasn't deliberate and possibly wasn't forceful enough for Prohibited Contact. I wouldn't have been bothered if it had been paid, though. I dare say we'll hear about it on Monday as we did the one from the Richmond - North game.

Last edited:
That was a disgusting call.
I like how on Monday the umpire flog boss comes out with the weakest non-committal apology ever.
The fact that they have a segment called "whistleblowers" after each round is hilarious.

So we have a video released each week about the * ups from the umpires to try and excuse their mistakes.

The biggest issue is, the AFL announcing they got it wrong AFTER the game is over if the free kick was during a crucial part of the game.

Its like "lol oh well, maybe next time" when that could be the different between a finals berth or not

That was a disgusting call.
I like how on Monday the umpire flog boss comes out with the weakest non-committal apology ever.
The fact that they have a segment called "whistleblowers" after each round is hilarious.

I hate it because it is just PR rubbish. There is no point coming out each week and explaining the 1 or 2 "mistakes" when in every single game there are numerous ones. Either try to be as harsh as possible auditing these or don't bother. When they come out each week and talk about their 1 or 2 mistakes it has as much credibility as a politician kissing babies.

Contact to a player below the knees isn't always a free kick. Before the Lindsay Thomas Rule was bought in players could make any sort of contact with a player below the knees as long as it wasn't a trip by hand or by foot i.e. deliberate.

The only thing that has changed is that 'forceful contact below the knees' is now an offence. AKA the 'sliding rule' which is a misnomer - the player doesn't have to slide. You can still make contact with a player below the knees as long as it isn't forceful and likely to injure the player. This is different from a trip.

But the contact here is clearly forceful, so why you would be bringing up whether it was deliberate or not is puzzling.

Maybe it fits into (h) but I've always thought that this was for a deliberate action. It mentions by hand, arm, foot or leg, rather than 'any part of the body' and also includes 'attempts to trip' which has to be deliberate. I'm arguing that Shuey's contact wasn't deliberate and possibly wasn't forceful enough for Prohibited Contact. I wouldn't have been bothered if it had been paid, though. I dare say we'll hear about it on Monday as we did the one from the Richmond - North game.

I thought that accidental trip was a free, deliberate trip was a free and a reportable offence?

Balantyne could be in trouble for deliberately tripping a Hawk with his hand. The Suckling and Jacobs ones should both have been free kicks but despite Fyfe's history of tripping, wouldnt lead to anything else - in the same way Rioli didnt go any further last week.

Youz waz robbered?!!!!?
Yep, some of them are actually angry that there were 75 maybe-frees not paid their way. eg, 'Kennedy and Darling were constantly held in marking contests'. Wouldn't that sort of contact be a free at the other end too? 'Petrie, Brown and Waite were never interfered with , because WC defenders play off their opponent.'

Dunno if they are master-trolls, or they are in fact that blind, deluded and full of self-entitlement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back