Ben Newton

Remove this Banner Ad

I would have thought Collingwood supporters would have been able to identify headcases.... you just got rid of one afterall.

Yeah, and neither Gorringe nor Lumumba (I assume that's who you're referring to) qualify.

If expressing displeasure when you don't get your own way or disagreeing with others means you're a "headcase", most people in the world must be certifiably insane.

Sounds like he's a clearance machine in the SANFL. Getting serious Anthony Miles vibes. Don't think he's coming to the Dees though unfortunately. Suits Geelong's deficiencies and they're a more attractive prospect.

Nah Brayshaw definitely goes #2. Newton would be good, but we really need elite midfield talent in the long run. Tyson and Viney aren't quite enough.

Those early selections just delisted/gone has really hurt in the longer run, hasn't it?

Instead of playing catch up, you should try and set yourself with a solid spine and fill it in with mids later. My opinion anyways.

Try and fix those Key posts and fill it in later as the good big guys are taken earlier in the drafts whilst the good little guys can be taken virtually anywhere

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those early selections just delisted/gone has really hurt in the longer run, hasn't it?

Instead of playing catch up, you should try and set yourself with a solid spine and fill it in with mids later. My opinion anyways.

Try and fix those Key posts and fill it in later as the good big guys are taken earlier in the drafts whilst the good little guys can be taken virtually anywhere
We've already got McDonald, Frost, and Hogan through the spine (Plus Dunn, Garland, Dawes, and Fitzpatrick who are older). Add McCartin at #3 and it's pretty decent. If we have list space we might elect for another project tall in Oscar McDonald or Keitel, but really we need midfielders who can make an immediate impact like Brayshaw in order to be competitive.

I'm not sure that's true though.

Port - Boak, Ebert, Polec, Hartlett
Hawthorn - Hodge, Burgoyne, Lewis
Collingwood at their peak - Pendles, Thomas, Sidebottom, Ball

Sydney are obviously a bit different in finding such stars with picks/trades in the 30's in Hannebery, Parker and Kennedy.

Anyway, even if Port wanted to keep him you don't usually find long term quality with delisted players. So I'd say Newton would be a nice way off adding to the depth and bottom end of our midfield. We still need more elite talent to help Jones and Tyson if we ever want to win finals you need 3 or 4 gun mids.

Think we'll definitely go Brayshaw at 2 assuming Petracca goes 1.
If McCartin goes #1, I wonder what order we'll select Brayshaw and Petracca in? Should do Petracca #3 just for the heck of it (and to deflate his head a bit). If not for marketing GWS shoulda trolled everyone by picking Kelly at #1 in 2013. Could have done Plowman in 2012 and Buntine in 2011 too.

We've already got McDonald, Frost, and Hogan through the spine (Plus Dunn, Garland, Dawes, and Fitzpatrick who are older). Add McCartin at #3 and it's pretty decent. If we have list space we might elect for another project tall in Oscar McDonald or Keitel, but really we need midfielders who can make an immediate impact like Brayshaw in order to be competitive.

Without turning this into a Melbourne thread, Im not overly convinced by the key defenders Melbourne have had.

I keep forgetting about Frost coming over to Melbourne. As it stands I'm not overly convinced that Garland &/or Dunn will be the key lynchpins of Melbournes next push.

Think Melbourne would be silly to overlook the opportunity to set themselves up for the next decade (without injuries of course).

Without turning this into a Melbourne thread, Im not overly convinced by the key defenders Melbourne have had.

I keep forgetting about Frost coming over to Melbourne. As it stands I'm not overly convinced that Garland &/or Dunn will be the key lynchpins of Melbournes next push.

Think Melbourne would be silly to overlook the opportunity to set themselves up for the next decade (without injuries of course).
McDonald, Frost, Garland and Dunn are far from a terrible KPD quartet. Loosing Frawley certainly weakens the calibre of our key defensive stocks, but the loss of Clark mean our key forward stocks are in much more dire need of replenishment.

McDonald, Frost, Garland and Dunn are far from a terrible KPD quartet. Loosing Frawley certainly weakens the calibre of our key defensive stocks, but the loss of Clark mean our key forward stocks are in much more dire need of replenishment.

Im agreeing that Melbourne will take a KPF with one of picks 2/3. Would personally take a KPD with the other early pick

Dunn had a really good season at FB, Garland had a really good season in 2013 at CHB. I have full confidence that McDonald will make it as a KPB. Frost impressed me at the start of the year, but I honestly don't know anything substantial about him.

I don't see it as an area of concern right now, personally.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back