Toast Ben Rutten

Remove this Banner Ad

Slippery Pete

Samcro24’s shape keeper
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
I've been meaning to create this thread for a while, as this guy cops a bit of criticism in these parts for being too old, too slow, and for having too big an arse, especially in white shorts.

I'm not usually one for stats - but this one suits my argument so what the hell. Ben Rutten's disposal efficiency at the weekend was ONE HUNDRED PERCENT. That's right. Perfect disposal efficiency. Not only that, he towelled up Jonathan Brown AGAIN. How many times has he done that in his career? More than I care to remember.

This guy is one of the smartest footballers ever to pull on an Adelaide jumper. Rarely is beaten one on one, rarely turns over the ball, and rarely puts a foot wrong in defence. He is so important to our side, and any criticism of his place in the team is severely misguided.

I have always backed the Truck, one of my first threads i made back in 2005 was about the big fella

I also feel the criticism's leveled at him are premature. Sure Jono Brown is old too, but i can't remember a time when Truck was beaten by him. Ever

He's been a great servant for us and deserves a flag. Hope we can give him one

He's also been super important in Talia's development and that cannot be underestimated how much that will mean to the next 8-10 years of the defense at the AFC

Great thread SP! :thumbsu:

Think he has conceeded something like 15 goals in 15 games against Johnno Brown. Name me another FB with a better record.

Couldn't give a s**t if he is "slow", when he beats his opponent with smarts & strength.

Some people on this board have no clue, calling for his retirement each year.

I find that one of the biggest myths on this board, is the squeal that 'tonnes of posters write him off on here every single year'. I think there is far less of that than there is concern for who we have ready to go IF Rutten suffers a long term injury or a really bad patch of form, because from the looks of things thus far it sure as hell isn't Hartigan or Shaw. Otten and Luke Thompson have shown promising signs in recent times though, but we'll be needing Rutten at least available for a while yet.

Congratulations to Rutten this weekend, I was worried early on in the first quarter when Brisbane's forwards were getting some good delivery and fluffed a couple of easy chances. However he bounced back and helped Talia make Brown's/Martin's lives a misery.

The poise demonstrated by Truck and Luke Brown moving the ball around the back half under immense pressure as time so slowly ticked away was one of the outstanding moments in the game IMO.

It was mentioned the other day that they have played each other 15 times and Brown has scored 15 goals against.

One thing that always annoyed me is when I have seen interviews from J Brown and is asked the question who are the toughest opponents to play on, he never mentions Truck.

One thing that always annoyed me is when I have seen interviews from J Brown and is asked the question who are the toughest opponents to play on, he never mentions Truck.
Johnno Brown is too mentally scarred to talk about Truck.

More Tredders-Sydrome.

Massive for our club. Lose him and lose a lot more games. We just need our replacements in the side along with Talia so they can learn off him. Think we still need to recruit a similar body type to Truck's in to follow in his footsteps and take the big gorilla forwards. He has been massive for us though.

One of my favourite Truck moments is when Kane Cornes got lippy with him one day - not long after Truck started doing tv commercials.

Kane gave him the big air horn tugging motion - all Truck do was to grin sheepishly, and proceed to shut down the port backline for most the game.

love the big fella - very underrated at times. I still remember posters claiming his AA spots were half Bassett's. I still think Bassett's was half Trucks - without Truck Bassett would be remembered as a mouth guard thrower ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think anyone has said that Truck shouldn't be in the side now, nor have too many people questioned his value to the team in previous years. He's been a magnificent servant of the club for a long time now.

But let's get some context here - he played poorly last week, while playing a good game Saturday night albeit against against an opponent who's best is now well beyond him. Having the better of John Brown in 2013 is not the same achievement as it has been in the past.

I genuinely have much respect and affection for Truck, so this is not intended to be a slight on him at all - but imo the jury is still out on where he's at this year.

Is he called Truck because he's the size of a semi or because he's as slow as a semi heading up the South Eastern Freeway through the tunnels?

love the big fella - very underrated at times. I still remember posters claiming his AA spots were half Bassett's. I still think Bassett's was half Trucks - without Truck Bassett would be remembered as a mouth guard thrower ;)

Deadset right. Rutten's introduction into our side transformed Bassett from arguably the worst full back in the league into an AA loose defender.

Rutten's a superstar, and although his time is unfortunately approaching, he's massively important to us right now.

How we're going to replace him when he's gone has given me more cause for concern over the last few years than any other player on our list - and that includes the "big four".

fatoom - every one has a bad game every now and again; defenders especially. Truck's are incredibly rare.

The guy is a legend, been a favourite for years - and he clearly sacrificed his own game for the development of Talia last year.

Anyone see Talia's Rising Star acceptance speech?

He worships Truck.

Yeah, sorry - I should have explained better. I wasn't basing it on just this year. Per the other Truck thread, I (and evidently some others) saw a few things creeping into his game last year - particularly around his decision making and ball handling - that made me question whether he has begun the slow decline. The first game of this year just perpetuated that.

Again, good game last week, but against average opposition (never thought I'd say that about Johnathon Brown), so quite interested to see how he progresses through the season.

Have no doubt all of the players love him though, and his value to the younger guys is definitely huge.

Credit where credit is due. He killed Brown. Again. Was great to see.

If only every side had Jonathon Brown in it...

Legend. HIs IQ will give him a job in footy post career if he wants to.

That said, I believe this will be his last.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back