Bendigo FL Thread 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Danny O'Bree staying at south? Expect the bloods still to play finals depending on how many games Stroobrants will play
Will Joel West play again?
Will any club try to recruit fevalaki back into the bendigo league, he is too good of a player to be wasting his time playing in the minor leagues
Will the Bendigo league try and poach sunbury it would make more sense to snare them as the it on the calder and with gisborne, kyneton and castlemaine all within an hours travel creating a rivalry in the south of the competition.

Is Danny O'Bree staying at south? Expect the bloods still to play finals depending on how many games Stroobrants will play
Will Joel West play again?
Will any club try to recruit fevalaki back into the bendigo league, he is too good of a player to be wasting his time playing in the minor leagues
Will the Bendigo league try and poach sunbury it would make more sense to snare them as the it on the calder and with gisborne, kyneton and castlemaine all within an hours travel creating a rivalry in the south of the competition.

big west signed at frankston

bit harsh. only few times we saw him play against us down at tigerland or on the postage stamp at the flat, big westy went ok
didnt have much else in the ruck, the rooers :D

8 teams, 8 comps, 2 grounds, 1 day- melbourne metros best of the best!

On Sunday March 6th this event will be broadcast live via SEN Radio 1116 AM.

8 of the premiership teams from 2010 around Melbourne have agreed to play in a 20/20 style competition for their chance to take out the prestigious trophy of becoming Melbourne metro footballs best of the best and win their club $5000 in prizes and money.

The event and day has been organised by Benjamin Charles from SPORT SUPPORT. Also helping promote and run the event is Matty Pillios (EDFL MEDIA HOST) along with various other high profile metropolitan footballers and current or ex AFL players.The day will start at 11am and games will be played at CT Barling Reserve located at Plenty Rd, Reservoir.

The 8 clubs representing their leagues are as follows:

NFL – West Preston F.C (Ran all over powerhouse Heidelberg F.C to take 2010 premiership coach and are known to be physical.)

VAFA – Old Carey F.C (Smashed the VAFA B section comp in 2010 and now in A section will represent VAFA. Have picked up close to 8 quality players for season 2011. Old Xavs F.C declined to participate.)

GFL – South Barwon F.C (One of the favourites from a powerhouse comp. Will be at full strength and have the entire town of Geelong behind them.)

EDFL – Marby Park F.C (Back to back premiers will try and stamp its name as the strongest metro football team in the country boasting a ton of talent.)

EFL – Mulgrave F.C (Represent one of the strongest Melbourne comps and this year are in Div 1. Have recently recruited quality AFL & VFL players for season 2011. Noble Park F.C declined to participate.)

RDFL – Riddell F.C (Strong club with a massive following and will be keen to keep momentum from their 2010 premiership win.)

SFL – Clayton F.C (The club has been a powerhouse in Div 1 for a long time. Have recruited very strongly for 2011. St Kilda City F.C could not confirm.)

WRFL – Albion F.C (Stunned the WRFL winning the 2010 flag and with some new recruits will give it a shake. Coming from a comp with physical football.

EXTRA EVENTS

“Melbournes Fittest Footballer” (Vertical Leap, 20 Metre Sprints and Push Up Comp.)

“Grand Final Curtain Raiser” (60 Person Beep Test between any local registered footballer.)

Should be a cracker of a day! What are everyones thoughts and feedback on it?

Re: 8 teams, 8 comps, 2 grounds, 1 day- melbourne metros best of the best!

On Sunday March 6th this event will be broadcast live via SEN Radio 1116 AM.

8 of the premiership teams from 2010 around Melbourne have agreed to play in a 20/20 style competition for their chance to take out the prestigious trophy of becoming Melbourne metro footballs best of the best and win their club $5000 in prizes and money.

Organised by local footy guru Matty Pillios (EDFL MEDIA HOST) and Benjamin Charles (SPORTS SUPPORT). The day will start at 11am and games will be played at CT Barling Reserve located at Plenty Rd, Reservoir.

The 8 clubs representing their leagues are as follows:

NFL – West Preston F.C (Ran all over powerhouse Heidelberg F.C to take 2010 premiership coach and are known to be physical.)

VAFA – Old Carey F.C (Smashed the VAFA B section comp in 2010 and now in A section will represent VAFA. Have picked up close to 8 quality players for season 2011. Old Xavs F.C declined to participate.)

GFL – South Barwon F.C (One of the favourites from a powerhouse comp. Will be at full strength and have the entire town of Geelong behind them.)

EDFL – Marby Park F.C (Back to back premiers will try and stamp its name as the strongest metro football team in the country boasting a ton of talent.)

EFL – Mulgrave F.C (Represent one of the strongest Melbourne comps and this year are in Div 1. Have recently recruited quality AFL & VFL players for season 2011. Noble Park F.C declined to participate.)

RDFL – Riddell F.C (Strong club with a massive following and will be keen to keep momentum from their 2010 premiership win.)

SFL – Clayton F.C (The club has been a powerhouse in Div 1 for a long time. Have recruited very strongly for 2011. St Kilda City F.C could not confirm.)

WRFL – Albion F.C (Stunned the WRFL winning the 2010 flag and with some new recruits will give it a shake. Coming from a comp with physical football.

EXTRA EVENTS

“Melbournes Fittest Footballer” (Vertical Leap, 20 Metre Sprints and Push Up Comp.)

“Grand Final Curtain Raiser” (60 Person Beep Test between any local registered footballer.)

Should be a cracker of a day! What are everyones thoughts and feedback on it?

So why's this on a forum relating to country football ???

If you asked me if I was one of the particpating clubs I would be more concerned about my players sustaining an injury in a mickey mouse tourney weeks out from the real season.

Anyway, country leagues have been doing this for years - its called a "Lightning Premiership" series.....

City folk will never learn.....:D

Re: 8 teams, 8 comps, 2 grounds, 1 day- melbourne metros best of the best!

So why's this on a forum relating to country football ???

If you asked me if I was one of the particpating clubs I would be more concerned about my players sustaining an injury in a mickey mouse tourney weeks out from the real season.

Anyway, country leagues have been doing this for years - its called a "Lightning Premiership" series.....

City folk will never learn.....:D

Id be stunned if this sort of thing didnt go on most years pre season given the close proximity of leagues and clubs....Good to see SEN are behind it though, getting back to there roots of starting with VFL before obtaining an AFL gig..:thumbsu:

caveman is a long, long-time contributor to footy forums. he's a flat fan and used to run his own website with people posting before (I think) moving off to melb.
hes a firm ess dist. f.l. fan these days as well as supporting the roo-ers.

and if the Geelong FL champs are playing in the series he's listed, bendigo plays the gfl on May 22nd at skilled stadium.

caveman is a long, long-time contributor to footy forums. he's a flat fan and used to run his own website with people posting before (I think) moving off to melb.
hes a firm ess dist. f.l. fan these days as well as supporting the roo-ers.

and if the Geelong FL champs are playing in the series he's listed, bendigo plays the gfl on May 22nd at skilled stadium.

Gday Zakster!

Thanks for the rundown. You are pretty close with your info except I still live in Bendigo. I grew up in West Coburg and that s why I still have an association with the EDFL. I do run a site www.edflfooty.com for chat on the EDFL. I will be a member of Kangaroo Flat this season and hope to see a few games although the premiership cup is already inscribed to Golden Square.

IF those two former Eaglehawk boys end up at Huntly, what's the thoughts on Hawk premiership player Luke Milroy heading to Hopetoun.

Up there Luke will be teaming up up with new coach Kain Robins and maybe ex-Square coach Adamson.

You'd have to think that trio would garner quite a few stats, running around in the Mallee League !!

with doosh lost to the dragons and harry madden now out of the flat and in bomberland BFL top fives will need a rethink. wonder what albury and Doc Ken NoiseWater think of hursts chances now and also caveman and other roos about the green boys
huge loss harry m. ---- with heaps of midfielders gone to other pastures who's going to get the ball to tigga downie, their sole big gun forward ??
strooby will need to play 14 of 18 games for south to make the 5 you'd think trent ??

my boys at tigerland need some names 2 b signed pretty quick, too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

with doosh lost to the dragons and harry madden now out of the flat and in bomberland BFL top fives will need a rethink. wonder what albury and Doc Ken NoiseWater think of hursts chances now and also caveman and other roos about the green boys
huge loss harry m. ---- with heaps of midfielders gone to other pastures who's going to get the ball to tigga downie, their sole big gun forward ??
strooby will need to play 14 of 18 games for south to make the 5 you'd think trent ??

see post on Jan 4... think they'll finish 7th... now with Dusch gone... 7-9th. Big big losses for Dragons... Pity. After 2yrs of hard work overcoming 2008 season, looks like they're heading south again.

I am not as pessimistic for two reasons:

1. Duscher is a paper loss. Once he made the Bombers he was lost to the dragons anyway. Rochester will get as much football out of him in September as the Dragons did - ZERO.

2. A lot of last year's so called big name recruits ended up running around in the 2nds anyway. On top of that, to be honest, Lee Coghlan & Simon Weekley did not have seasons that reflected their reputations. While Summerhayes & Scott were honest players, they were no better than a lot of others who could have been given more of a go. (E.g. Luke Ruedin, Michael Hill, Brady Dickens & and the likes). Futhermore James Walsh & Mark Fitzpatrick just did not get on the park so you cannot lose what you never gained in the first place.

I think if the dragons can keep most of Michael Cornish, Mal Borchard, Jake Wilksinson, Tom Hartney & Keirn Nihill in defence - Blair Holmes (available in September this year), Jono Couglan & Chris Collins (a very good recruit) in midfield - Matt Thornton & James Cozens in the forward line/ruck they can build a team around these players with a few recruits and the addition of some talented under 18 players who made last years grandfinal.

I think they can put an honest team on the park.

I am not as pessimistic for two reasons:

1. Duscher is a paper loss. Once he made the Bombers he was lost to the dragons anyway. Rochester will get as much football out of him in September as the Dragons did - ZERO.

2. A lot of last year's so called big name recruits ended up running around in the 2nds anyway. On top of that, to be honest, Lee Coghlan & Simon Weekley did not have seasons that reflected their reputations. While Summerhayes & Scott were honest players, they were no better than a lot of others who could have been given more of a go. (E.g. Luke Ruedin, Michael Hill, Brady Dickens & and the likes). Futhermore James Walsh & Mark Fitzpatrick just did not get on the park so you cannot lose what you never gained in the first place.

I think if the dragons can keep most of Michael Cornish, Mal Borchard, Jake Wilksinson, Tom Hartney & Keirn Nihill in defence - Blair Holmes (available in September this year), Jono Couglan & Chris Collins (a very good recruit) in midfield - Matt Thornton & James Cozens in the forward line/ruck they can build a team around these players with a few recruits and the addition of some talented under 18 players who made last years grandfinal.

I think they can put an honest team on the park.

Absolutely spot on Albury. Bit harsh on the "Reputation" tag on Lee Coghlan tho, he was pretty hampered by injury all year, never really got going did he. Kids a star. :thumbsu:

Absolutely spot on Albury. Bit harsh on the "Reputation" tag on Lee Coghlan tho, he was pretty hampered by injury all year, never really got going did he. Kids a star. :thumbsu:
Yes, it was a poor choice of words - not what I mean't at all. Lee at his best is a great/ couragous player.

The point I was badly trying to make was (because of injuries) 2010 was not a great year for Lee - he was just not the same player he was in 2009. In this context I don't see the losses at Sandhurst being as drastic as many fear if talented under 18 players and the likes of Nick Stagg, Liam McCarthy, Lachlan Prest etc step up to the mark.

Yes, it was a poor choice of words - not what I mean't at all. Lee at his best is a great/ couragous player.

The point I was badly trying to make was (because of injuries) 2010 was not a great year for Lee - he was just not the same player he was in 2009. In this context I don't see the losses at Sandhurst being as drastic as many fear if talented under 18 players and the likes of Nick Stagg, Liam McCarthy, Lachlan Prest etc step up to the mark.

*checks date, definitely not April 1st*

I'm presuming you meant his brother?

Can anybody fill me in on Dermott Smythe from Storm ?

Height, body size, positions played and how does he go ?

I know he was runner up in their B&F last season !

Did he make the league team of the year ?

Can anybody fill me in on Dermott Smythe from Storm ?

Height, body size, positions played and how does he go ?

I know he was runner up in their B&F last season !

Did he make the league team of the year ?

Is he the bloke the Sunbury Kangaroo's have said has committed there?

Must be a bloody good offer to go from being runner up B&F at a club that will probly play finals this year to drop back a few grades and play in the RDFL :confused:

Is he the bloke the Sunbury Kangaroo's have said has committed there?

Must be a bloody good offer to go from being runner up B&F at a club that will probly play finals this year to drop back a few grades and play in the RDFL :confused:

Not sure about size etc, but is there a kid more agressive at the contest for his age in this league?? Wouldnt have thought so!
Didnt make either of the media teams of the year (Bendigo Advertiser or Fresh FM). Do league even do one??

My information is that Lee Coghlan will play for Sandhurst and not in the WAFL now this year..

LEAGUE appoints committees or groups of people to select, on its behalf:-

1/. Hall of Fame list of contenders and eventual final 10, and;

2/. Team of Decade, in positions.

Once these are finalised the BFL board ratifies the final selections. Incidentally, hoopie/Doc Ken/albury and lads, who did the said board elect as chairman to succeed Mr D. Drum? Or hasn't an announcement been made.

Leage has never to my knowledge named a Team of the Year. This has always been the task of the media outlets.
Back in the 80s Rookies of the Year candidates were regularly announced but this was superceded by the Rising Star awards.

LEAGUE appoints committees or groups of people to select, on its behalf:-

1/. Hall of Fame list of contenders and eventual final 10, and;

2/. Team of Decade, in positions.

Once these are finalised the BFL board ratifies the final selections. Incidentally, hoopie/Doc Ken/albury and lads, who did the said board elect as chairman to succeed Mr D. Drum? Or hasn't an announcement been made.

Leage has never to my knowledge named a Team of the Year. This has always been the task of the media outlets.
Back in the 80s Rookies of the Year candidates were regularly announced but this was superceded by the Rising Star awards.

I dont recall an announcement but I stand to be corrected...

Been involved in a few league teams of the year, its dead set a hiding to nothing...but always fun...

Will the Addy give me a credit for their Coghlan story today???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back