Bendigo FNL 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Congratulations to Gisborne's Scotty 'Woosha' Walsh on picking up last nights Michelson medal - its doubtful there is a harder worker at our footy club than Walshy and he thoroughly deserves the recognition he has received for his efforts and another medal (or 2) around his neck on Saturday afternoon would top his week off just nicely you would think.

I think Weeksy may have to get himself a pair of bright orange boots, a pink mohawk and kick at least 200 next year to be a chance for the medal and unless he does, i think he can safely sit at home on the farm and tune in to the wireless for next years Michelson night. Some truly extraordinary votes given (or not) during the year by the umps, in particular his bags of 12 and 11 that didnt attract the 3 votes.

Congrats to the Storm on a great year, to make the prelim after such a short time is a huge effort, I look forward to watching the reserves contest the clubs first ever GF on Saturday.

I went on Saturday night and I will say again, why that final was played at night baffles me, the crowd was not worth not playing it 5 hours earlier.

Not sure what Weeks needs to do to win a Michelson - another 150 goals - best player in country Vic and still no award??

Not sure how an under 18 kid can kick 17 goals and only get 1 vote?

Is the Michelson like the Brownlow - a midfielders medal.

Good luck to the Storm Reserves today who will represent the club in the club's first ever football grandfinal. Glorious day to bring home the cup back to Strath....

Unbelievable day of grand final footy bathed in glorious sunshine yesterday, with all 3 matches enthralling throughout.
Congrats to Sandhurst in the u18's and Reserves and to Golden Square in the 1's.

My boys in the reserves were gallant in defeat although the heartache of giving up a 5 goal lead halfway through the 3rd quarter will be a bitter pill for them to swallow. Sandhurst to their credit use their years of experience in grand finals to realise that it is isn't over until the final siren has sounded and kicked 5 goals in the last 6 minutes of the 3rd term to make it game on in the last qtr.

The seniors was as good as game as I have seen for a grand final in any of the 3 leagues in central vic over the past 5 years and for Gisborne to come back from a 5 goal deficit only to be denied post final siren was a great effort.

All in all a good day's of hotly contested footy, which should bode well for season 2013 - until then over and out ;) !!!

Unbelievable day of grand final footy bathed in glorious sunshine yesterday, with all 3 matches enthralling throughout.
Congrats to Sandhurst in the u18's and Reserves and to Golden Square in the 1's.

My boys in the reserves were gallant in defeat although the heartache of giving up a 5 goal lead halfway through the 3rd quarter will be a bitter pill for them to swallow. Sandhurst to their credit use their years of experience in grand finals to realise that it is isn't over until the final siren has sounded and kicked 5 goals in the last 6 minutes of the 3rd term to make it game on in the last qtr.

The seniors was as good as game as I have seen for a grand final in any of the 3 leagues in central vic over the past 5 years and for Gisborne to come back from a 5 goal deficit only to be denied post final siren was a great effort.

All in all a good day's of hotly contested footy, which should bode well for season 2013 - until then over and out ;) !!!

Well done Stormboy.

Albury has been watching BFL grand finals since 1964, has seen some good ones - but never ever a post siren finish like that. Golden Square was all class, Gisborne was all courage.

50 years ago the question asked was "Where were you when you heard the news JFK was shot". Now its "Where were you standing when Rodney Sharp had that final shot at goal". Albury was on the boundary right behind him and, like everyone in the grandstand, thought it was offline then swinging back for a amazing goal - only to finally realize it had fallen short.

Also, in the moment, I thought the ground scoreboard (incorrectly) had Gisborne 6 points down - can anyone verify this?

Does anyone know the crowd number (not gate)? I know the O&M has a crowd of over 12,000 yesterday.

Heard Ollie say on Fresh FM tonight that the gate was around the mid $60k mark and based on the gate takings equated to approx 8,000 people throughout the day. By my observation of the crowd and doing the sums of the admission entry fee of $15 per head only equates to 4,000 plus people. Allowing for children and the like (say another 33% on entry admissions sums) would only make the crowd around 5k to 5.5k at best, which is what I thought on the day, which is well below what the league is saying. Saw some pics of the O&M grand final crowd on their website today which showed the crowd 6-8 deep all away along the oval perimeter. BFNL didn't have that sort of depth for its crowd numbers would need at least 4-5 deep around the perimeter to get to the 8k figure which wasn't the case on Saturday. Little bit sad when your major league attendance is nearly overshadowed by a minor league GF (HDFL). Then again looks can be deceiving !

Well done to Fev and the Pigeons of Yarrawonga - obviously money well spent by the YFNC !!!! If only some of the BFNL clubs had the courage to take on an ex AFL player of the calibre of Fev & Co would we see the crowds flock back to their glory days !

To see what a 12k crowd looks like at a grand final click on link to O&M website (bottom right hand pic on main page will show the depth of their crowd): http://www.omfnl.com.au/ Yay my 200th post !!

Fresh FM commentators were talking after the game about the BFNL grand final being a record gate ($60k). Without trying to be petty, how can you compare gate takings in 2012 with say 1962 when you could probably get in for $2 or thereabouts.Any sensible comparison can only be on total crowd numbers.

Congrats to both teams, Gisy stiff, Square all class , 4 in a row outstading and surely won't be matched for some time. Gisys Crosbie a future star. Rosa a cut above and Matt Otoole who have now won 9 senior flags performances sensational.

Crowd was OK at GF but I can remember going to Castlemaine's 1992 triumph and the crowd was a lot bigger that day, I think a factor as well is Golden Square is winning their 4th in a row, people start to say same team in it again and it becomes a turn off to those who don't follow Golden Square.

Fresh FM commentators were talking after the game about the BFNL grand final being a record gate ($60k). Without trying to be petty, how can you compare gate takings in 2012 with say 1962 when you could probably get in for $2 or thereabouts.Any sensible comparison can only be on total crowd numbers.

More like sixpence I reckon Albury.

Some of the crowds in the 60's were absolutely massive when Kyneton and Rochester were playing finals according to my old man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More like sixpence I reckon Albury.

Some of the crowds in the 60's were absolutely massive when Kyneton and Rochester were playing finals according to my old man.

He is spot on Darryl. The crowds (and standard) in the league fell right away in the 70's when Rochester & Echuca left for the GV. The continued now decade long demise of Kyneton & Castlemaine (and to be realistic Maryborough) has also had a real impact. As someone who has witnessed this I find it really disappointing - hence my past suggestions for a Goldfield's competition, or if this is not wanted, at least the attempted recruitment of clubs like Rochester or Sunbury to give the same presence Yarrawonga does in the O&M.

Will the round by round voting be up on the league website? I wouldn't mind seeing where Weeks did and didn't get votes.

Yes the round by round voting is now up on the website. Perhaps most interestingly for Weeks is that he failed to poll a vote in round 4 when he kicked 10 goals.

Just a question out of curiousity, what was the reason for the BFL shorts this year?

Pretty sure BFNL has there own supplier now and that was the design they went with.

were u happy with the stormy vote count results, bear?
matty ladson won. fair enuf. but bartholomeww 2nd ??
Eeek.

jake hall snaffled 16 votes in mich. medal and brained his teammates. hope my memory still working as back home in u.a.e. now after sept. in viccy.

Was pretty happy with the results, Bartholomew did play consistent in alot of secondary rolls so I guess second is an ok result.

Hard for me to truly judge, with my second child arriving in March I only watched about quarter of the Storm footy I usually watch. Got to go to all finals though.

That would make the gold happy, didn't he say he couldn't play because he was working on the farm and couldn't commit to a pre season?
Apparently might only play 1 game before christmas, has got to get the harvest done.Besides he can do what he wants who gives a stuff about the gold,doesnt appear to be a lot of value to bendigo footy,i may be wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back