Bendigo FNL 2017

Who will win this year's BFNL senior flag

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The above was taken from the Bendigo adi.
The last two paragraphs was what I am interested in. I don't think a stat deck will stop extra payments. Thoughts??

The above was taken from the Bendigo adi.
The last two paragraphs was what I am interested in. I don't think a stat deck will stop extra payments. Thoughts??

They talk about the payments under the table being rife in the Ammos being rife so its possible that would happen. It all looks very complex with the potential to turn the people away who have too manage it. Coaches/Footy Managers etc.

Let's talk Footy-
Dragon Flys tips this week are STRATH over KANG FLAT by 80 looking good are the Storm.
CASTLEMAINE by 12 over KYNETON. The Tigers have been disappointing and if they lose this one finals will be a long shot.
EAGLEHAWK and SQUARE set be a tight and tough game. SQUARE by 8 points pretty good record against the Borough.
Never get over confident going to GISBORNE but they are low on form at the moment. DRAGONS by 44.
SOUTH who have been a bit better than most would have thought to beat MARYBOROUGH by 14 points.

Anyone else?

STRATH over K FLAT by plenty
KYNETON over MANIE by not much just think Maine may have hit there top and KY have a few important in's
SQUARE over EAGLEHAWK by 3 or 4 just think SQ are better have seen both this year
HURST over GISBORNE by plenty GIZZY are shot
SOUTH over MARYBOROUGH by 4-6 I think the open space helps STH

fly and cornie can i have some of what you're on
eaglehawk will handle square, no worries at all
have u blokes seen G-Train (23 snag rolls) and Sean Williams (17) this season) ??
all square has got is red herring (20) home side hawks by 30-plus
agree kyn tigers will be boosted by weightman and carafa but maine at home are good
maggies from camp reserve by 3 kicks
south to win the Spoon battle over maryb by 30-plus also [similar margin to eaglehawk's]
hurst and strath storm by plenty over gizzy (no summer recruiting) and flat
roos are ordinary ... had to come from 3/4 time deficit twice this year at home just to get the 4 points
and gizzy are shot as cosmo states --- wot happened to summer recruiting ?? No cabbage ??
while there's hardly a challenge to s'saye at present [hurst excepted]
it's shaping as a Storm-Dragons grannie already and we haven't reached the end of May yet !!!

fly and cornie can i have some of what you're on
eaglehawk will handle square, no worries at all
have u blokes seen G-Train (23 snag rolls) and Sean Williams (17) this season) ??
all square has got is red herring (20) home side hawks by 30-plus
agree kyn tigers will be boosted by weightman and carafa but maine at home are good
maggies from camp reserve by 3 kicks
south to win the Spoon battle over maryb by 30-plus also [similar margin to eaglehawk's]
hurst and strath storm by plenty over gizzy (no summer recruiting) and flat
roos are ordinary ... had to come from 3/4 time deficit twice this year at home just to get the 4 points
and gizzy are shot as cosmo states --- wot happened to summer recruiting ?? No cabbage ??
while there's hardly a challenge to s'saye at present [hurst excepted]
it's shaping as a Storm-Dragons grannie already and we haven't reached the end of May yet !!!

Probably what is exciting for the Dragons is I think were a lot better side now than in Round 1.

Gretgrix kicked 12 against Flat and then 1 against Castlemaine the week after I wouldn't get too carried away on him been a good player but past his best.

They talk about the payments under the table being rife in the Ammos being rife so its possible that would happen. It all looks very complex with the potential to turn the people away who have too manage it. Coaches/Footy Managers etc.

Let's talk Footy-
Dragon Flys tips this week are STRATH over KANG FLAT by 80 looking good are the Storm.
CASTLEMAINE by 12 over KYNETON. The Tigers have been disappointing and if they lose this one finals will be a long shot.
EAGLEHAWK and SQUARE set be a tight and tough game. SQUARE by 8 points pretty good record against the Borough.
Never get over confident going to GISBORNE but they are low on form at the moment. DRAGONS by 44.
SOUTH who have been a bit better than most would have thought to beat MARYBOROUGH by 14 points.

Anyone else?
Fly,
Payments don't have to be under the table
Just do what Albury are doing in O&M
Supply player with over paid job by sponsor and club just pays a normal match payments
No rules broken

G'day Trent,
The metro leagues won't cope with max 25 points. I follow a team in EDFL premier and we are way over this. I'm not sure what AFL Victoria will do about current contracted players for 2016 as they would have a contract based on money. If they had to let them go under the points system the other club would have to pay them the money stipulated in the contract or it will be a legal matter I assume as its income based.
I'm not certain it had to be in each league or do the leagues have a choice to accept it? I personally think it should be introduced in 2017 as most contract are max 2 years.
I hear you point about an even spread of players across all leagues including country vic but 2 things:
- what if a player doesn't want to travel up to the country?
- do clubs have money to offer these players as the system is not supposed to mean less money for players but an even spread of talent to even up the competitions. Therefore clubs will need to generate extra funds..

It's going to be interesting...

Hey Cornfoot,
It's nothing to do with salary cap mate, more points related. If you recruit an ex AFL player you can pay him whatever you want but his 6 points..
It's being put in place turbo to stop clubs like yours at pascoe vale buy in 10 ex afl players, and pummel the northern saints. Perhaps pascoe vale could spend their money more wisely and look at the way keilor go about building a club through their juniors and top up with recruits, did they have 5 guys drafted last year?
The points system will also stop one off games being played.
These rules will encourage ex afl players to go back to their junior clubs as well.
I would like to see each club allowed one marquee player that is not included in the points, so we see players like fev, Aker, Scarlett, Milne go back and play at a lower local level.
Hopefully this will help maryborough who must have had cash to spare as they couldn't recruit anyone and used it on one off games by Maclean and tarrant and maybe this will stop the ridiculous amounts of money spent on players turbo

It's being put in place turbo to stop clubs like yours at pascoe vale buy in 10 ex afl players, and pummel the northern saints. Perhaps pascoe vale could spend their money more wisely and look at the way keilor go about building a club through their juniors and top up with recruits, did they have 5 guys drafted last year?
The points system will also stop one off games being played.
These rules will encourage ex afl players to go back to their junior clubs as well.
I would like to see each club allowed one marquee player that is not included in the points, so we see players like fev, Aker, Scarlett, Milne go back and play at a lower local level.
Hopefully this will help maryborough who must have had cash to spare as they couldn't recruit anyone and used it on one off games by Maclean and tarrant and maybe this will stop the ridiculous amounts of money spent on players turbo

Trent's given Turbo a whack.. haha
Ease up champ we only have 5 and only 1 has recently come out of AFL in Ben Ross. But the other 4 are pretty handy as well..

I know Keilor have one of the best junior programs and rolling out plenty of kids, but they have a good sized area with no other A Grade club really close, where as Strathmore, Abers & Pacco do have more competition.
It would be interesting to see if all the top talent started at clubs like Keilor or did they come across from neighbouring clubs after u/10s.. This would be an interesting survey..
It's fact that some good talent is poached or that parent see their kid is good at 11 or 12 in B grade and move them across to A grade to better there footy by playing against better opposition. I happened to do this with my son ( but it was due to moving house) and advise any parent with a kid that has talent to play A grade footy from 12 years and up. Better competition and most often better coaching as well as the crowds appreciate talent in the top divisions.

The points system will cause clubs to use money saved on the seniors to be used to scout juniors and sign them up at 11 or 12 do they become a homegrown and therefore 1 point in coming years.. This won't be good for footy, but it will happen..

What's your views as this is a good conversation even though it's on another leagues forum..

1 . 4 . 10

That is very embarrassing for gissy.
Even with injury to some good players that score is joke.If they played their entire seconds side in the firsts they would have done better. What the hell is going on down there. Rodney would not be happy.

1 . 4 . 10

That is very embarrassing for gissy.
Even with injury to some good players that score is joke.If they played their entire seconds side in the firsts they would have done better. What the hell is going on down there. Rodney would not be happy.

Was it Kings Army who used to be the unofficial voice of Gissy on here a while back, regularly hooking into Kyneton and the like? Everyone goes thru it, as I said to a Gisborne fella yesty at junior football many say football builds character, I say in tough times it reveals it .... Gisborne wont be down for too long surely

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was it Kings Army who used to be the unofficial voice of Gissy on here a while back, regularly hooking into Kyneton and the like? Everyone goes thru it, as I said to a Gisborne fella yesty at junior football many say football builds character, I say in tough times it reveals it .... Gisborne wont be down for too long surely

They have slipped quickly and steeply and there didn't seem to be too much interest around the place on Saturday but in saying that we're better than I thought we would be. Looking forward to our up and coming battles with Square and Storm out there.

Probably need to give South a pat on the back as well I thought they would be hopeless and they are far from it. Look to be on the right track and look like they've got some good youngsters coming through.

Any other talking points from the weekend around the league chaps?

The problem with Gisborne is that it has always been an RDFL club playing in the Bendigo Football League. The people of Gisborne have ZERO connection to Bendigo. The only game that is relevant to the average person is the Kyneton match. Sure, the Dogs have a good record in the BFL and have been one of the most successful clubs in the modern era, but they have never built a massive following.

Gisborne is surrounded by almost 20 clubs within a half hour drive yet plays one of them. For the record, they are Macedon, Riddell, Woodend, Kyneton, Romsey, Lancefield, Diggers Rest, Rockbank, Sunbury Lions, Sunbury Kangaroos, Rupertswood, Melton South, Melton Centrals, Melton, Darley, Bacchus Marsh.

There's a lot of people living in Gisborne who support the Bulldogs, but you'll see them at Riddells Creek or Macedon on a Saturday afternoon instead.

Now that the RDFL is becoming a pretty strong competition, a lot of players are staying at their local clubs instead of making the "step up" to Bendigo footy.

Less travel, good money available, genuine atmosphere at matches are just some of the reasons. This is no sleight on the BFL, but the days are gone when people moved to a BFL clubs for the cash and/or challenge. Even the Bendigo-based clubs don't have the support base of their more regional counterparts in the district leagues.

None of this is probably directly to blame for Gisborne's form slump, but fact is the Dogs are fast becoming irrelevant in a competition they owned for a long period of time. The question is, do they continue to fight it, or do they go back to their spiritual home and get back to the basics of what a footy club should be about – providing a place for locals to have a kick of the footy and be a hub of entertainment on a Saturday arvo in winter.

The problem with Gisborne is that it has always been an RDFL club playing in the Bendigo Football League. The people of Gisborne have ZERO connection to Bendigo. The only game that is relevant to the average person is the Kyneton match. Sure, the Dogs have a good record in the BFL and have been one of the most successful clubs in the modern era, but they have never built a massive following.

Gisborne is surrounded by almost 20 clubs within a half hour drive yet plays one of them. For the record, they are Macedon, Riddell, Woodend, Kyneton, Romsey, Lancefield, Diggers Rest, Rockbank, Sunbury Lions, Sunbury Kangaroos, Rupertswood, Melton South, Melton Centrals, Melton, Darley, Bacchus Marsh.

There's a lot of people living in Gisborne who support the Bulldogs, but you'll see them at Riddells Creek or Macedon on a Saturday afternoon instead.

Now that the RDFL is becoming a pretty strong competition, a lot of players are staying at their local clubs instead of making the "step up" to Bendigo footy.

Less travel, good money available, genuine atmosphere at matches are just some of the reasons. This is no sleight on the BFL, but the days are gone when people moved to a BFL clubs for the cash and/or challenge. Even the Bendigo-based clubs don't have the support base of their more regional counterparts in the district leagues.

None of this is probably directly to blame for Gisborne's form slump, but fact is the Dogs are fast becoming irrelevant in a competition they owned for a long period of time. The question is, do they continue to fight it, or do they go back to their spiritual home and get back to the basics of what a footy club should be about – providing a place for locals to have a kick of the footy and be a hub of entertainment on a Saturday arvo in winter.

I really don't think this answer the question (cleary asks a few others) - How can a team go from 1 kick off a GF to second bottom and poor % in one pre-season? Injuries can't be the reason alone I'm sure the two side either side of them on the ladder (Sth and marys) would love 12 players from a Preliminary side running around for them?

Yer I don't think this can be excuse for a side that retained a fair chunk of their list, and there's still some quality there. They did have a big crowd on Anzac day attend, but it has being a slippery side since then. Does sharpy have too many assistants with too many people having a say? Interesting to see how long the club will put up with this form

So do you think that Gisborne would be better off going back to the Riddell League Matt? Would have some merit with the points that you've made. Would the Riddell be happy to have them?

So do you think that Gisborne would be better off going back to the Riddell League Matt? Would have some merit with the points that you've made. Would the Riddell be happy to have them?
I think absolutely Gisborne would be better off in the Riddell league. Do I think it'll happen any time soon? No. Gisborne still has a future in the BFL, but it needs to be more creative and do more to enhance interest in their games against opponents no one has any connection to.

I think absolutely Gisborne would be better off in the Riddell league. Do I think it'll happen any time soon? No. Gisborne still has a future in the BFL, but it needs to be more creative and do more to enhance interest in their games against opponents no one has any connection to.

I can't see Gisborne overly happy playing a few of the poorer clubs in the RDFL at present even though they are close. For a few years the followers of Gisborne kicked Kyneton about being down and out. Who would you rather be at present as one looks on the way up and the other looks headed down?

Its funny how now there isn't interest in the games at Gisborne as that is the fickle nature of a local football club. When your down thats when you need the help. When your flying everyone wants to jump on board. Recruits, sponsors, supporters and coaches are a lot easier to find for a premiership team than the wooden spooner.

The only way Gisborne should leave the BFL is if the proposal to get the other Eastern Ballarat clubs in Sunbury, Darley, Melton and South and Bacchus Marsh into a localised comp with a 2 tier structure with relegation involving the RDFL as well was introduced as would reduce travel increase interest IMO. Didn't get up last year but you know a Gisborne V Sunbury game would make both clubs a lot of money each year.

The issue with Gisborne is that the only connection it has to Bendigo is the senior footy club. The juniors play in the RDFL and the good kids play for the Cannons, not the Pioneers. So the community (and that's what a football club has always ever been about and should always be) has no ties to the opposition Gisborne plays on a Saturday arvo.

The town's footy fans have grown up playing against – or watching their kids play against – teams from all over the area, but NONE from the BFL. Not even Kyneton plays junior footy against Gisborne.

The only reason Gisborne moved to the Bendigo Football League is because the RDFL became a basket case in the late 90s through poor administration and battling country towns. It really only became a powerhouse in the late 90s once the Sunburys and Meltons etc had moved to Ballarat. It was a strong club, but it only won three flags in the late 90s (three in a row from 97-99). Before that, the Bulldogs' previous flag was almost 20 years earlier in 1979.

But in the last 20 years, there has been a massive population growth in Sunbury, the Macedon Ranges and Melton and football clubs have returned to strength. Gisborne will bounce back on the field, you can guarantee that, but it will require a completely different outlook (and most likely committee).

Long-term, Gisborne has no future in the Bendigo Football League. The only way it would work if the juniors aligned, and that won't happen as parents are not going to cart their kids up the Calder every second weekend when there is a plethora of teams much, much closer.

The only question about Gisborne's future in the BFL is how long will it be until the Dogs leave. It's 2015 and I would suggest a move will be made by 2020. The Dogs will be able to bounce back on the field, but will they attract die hard supporters? I doubt it. They'll turn up in September, but Gisborne is too big of a town to have a half-full Gardiner Reserve on a Saturday arvo.

They are having a bad season yes matt, with injuries and a couple of key players moving on , and your already moving them on out of the league.
The rdfl move will never happen.
There are a lot of locals running around in that side and maybe next season adding some outside influence to that side will help.

Gisborne vs kilmore, woodend, rockbank, melton centrals, lancefield and wallan would all end consistantly with 20 plus goal drubbings, is that good footy to watch ?

They have been a very strong side in a higher standard comp for well over ten years now, maybe go watch a game or venture to their social rooms to see just how many people are around the place...

How long have they been successfull for in the bendigo league for now ?
There's no way they will move nor should they

As I said to a mate (and supporter) of Gisborne yesty over a cuppa, everyone goes thru it and it's a good chance for a re-boot. Working on some infastructure I believe, lights, scoreboard etc which will "value add" to the joint and in time be a good selling point. The trick now is to lure some out of towners in, and with that comes re-invigoration.

Correct me if Im wrong, but the McGuane era was a fair while ago now, yet only coach (Kev Fitz for just one year) was not in some way involved during that time. Gisborne shouldn't contemplate anything but a return to finals in the BFL straight away because let's be honest, whether it's thru retirement, injury or what not apart from a few losses what's really wrong ..... not much

Tough day for the BFNL boys on Saturday. Regrettably I made the journey down to Ballarat, what a waste of time that was!
I guess we saw what happens when you select a side that includes players who are injured, in poor form or simply just aren't up to it.
There were some questionable coaching moves to say the least, none more than moving Thornton back at a time where we were desperate for a target up forward.

If the BFNL are going to step up into the top 4 leagues they are going to need to give the interleague process a bit of an overhaul.

Back