Bendigo Gold

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 13, 2008
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Detroit Pistons
The Bendigo Football Club has announced the team name to be Bendigo Gold after their competition to name the team

Got home to find an email saying i had won a membership pack for entering it as my suggestion

big fan of it, links to the Bendigo tradition of Gold Mining (i also liked the original team name Diggers or Dragons)

They should have gone with Diggers or Miners in my opinion. Gold sounds like an A-League franchise.

Surely Dragons would isolate a lot of Bendigo football followers who weren't Sandhurst fans. I can't imagine die hard South Bendigo or Golden Square followers cheering for the Dragons.

They should have gone with Diggers or Miners in my opinion. Gold sounds like an A-League franchise.

Surely Dragons would isolate a lot of Bendigo football followers who weren't Sandhurst fans. I can't imagine die hard South Bendigo or Golden Square followers cheering for the Dragons.

I agree with Diggers, dont like Miners

As a south fan i wouldnt have an issue with cheering for the Bendigo Dragons - same as non collingwood fans can probably cheer for castlemaine without a worry

I was thinking calling the team the Dragons would be akin to aligning them to Sandhurst in the same way that North Ballarat in the VFL are aligned to North City in the Ballarat FL. That was my line of thinking anyway.

Scratch my earlier comment about the A-League franchise, now all I can think of is junior sports teams.

What are they going to do this time that differs from last time Bendigo had a stand alone team? The Diggers were a disaster on the field and garnered sparse support in the area. Do they have a plan?

What are they going to do this time that differs from last time Bendigo had a stand alone team? The Diggers were a disaster on the field and garnered sparse support in the area. Do they have a plan?

I too have these same questions.

Will they be able to keep their best players without the Essendon alignment? Guys like Shinners, Duscher (from Bendigo) and Freezer would surely be looking to play with Essendon VFL in 2013, or with a club that has a high profile e.g. Port Melbourne.

It would be best for football for Bendigo to cease being part of the VFL, as local footy popularity now far exceeds that of non aligned VFL sides.
It would increase the standard and crowds at local footy, and as a sign of goodwill Essendon should play a couple of VFL games in Bendigo each year to retain a link.
Bendigo Gold is a noble idea but will be a huge drain on the Bendigo football community.

With Aussie Jones already named as the new coach, he is in process of identifying talent to come over to the side.

The way it's looking, the talent in the current line-up is going to be split down the middle - the Melbourne-based players will join Essendon's stand-alone side (plus Duscher), whilst the likes of Maddern, Williams and Shinners are going to be in the Bendigo side.

I hope the Gold dont turn into a Frankston and really struggle as a stand alone side next year. Skipworth has put together a pretty good VFL list for them over the last 12 months and definately gives Aussie Jones something to work with. Which VFL players will stay and which ones will switch to become EFC VFL players though?

Matt Little- Ess
Trent Shinners- Ess
Jacob Thompson- Ess
Dean Putt- Ess
Steve Stroobants- Bendigo
Justin Maddern- Bendigo
Josh Freezer- Bendigo
Brad Collins- Bendigo
Jordan Williams- Bendigo
Ben Duscher- Bendigo (expect he may be rookied by someone this year though)

Just my thoughts....

Any hope of this mob even playing out the season? A disastrous start to the season, even considering the low expectations. This was never going to end well..... (or start well for that matter)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any hope of this mob even playing out the season? A disastrous start to the season, even considering the low expectations. This was never going to end well..... (or start well for that matter)

Financially they are a pretty secure side, with strong sponsorship dollars flowing in and the facilities at QEO are as good as any you will find now..something that has taken quite some time and money to achieve.

It will take 2 years for them to be competitive.

Saw them line up against the old Preston yesterday and they were simply atrocious. The lack of interest they generate next to the Bendigo league, and how hard it makes it for them to get players across from the local league means that in my opinion despite how well propped up they are by Football Vic, they'll never be able to compete.

The Diggers failed a decade ago and the Gold will fail very soon. None of the clubs in the district give a s**t about the Gold. My local club Rochester supplies a few Gold players and seriously, why would they bother. They're going to get smashed every week whereas Rochester has a chance to play finals. I'm sure there's other players and clubs in the same boat.

The Diggers failed a decade ago and the Gold will fail very soon. None of the clubs in the district give a s**t about the Gold. My local club Rochester supplies a few Gold players and seriously, why would they bother. They're going to get smashed every week whereas Rochester has a chance to play finals. I'm sure there's other players and clubs in the same boat.
Why they would bother is because some people have aspirations to play a higher standard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back