AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong
So how does this fast work exactly?

So how does this fast work exactly?

The idea is that the digestive system needs to take a break for the immune system to kick in and to detoxify your cells.

There are other things like lowering your IGF-1. It is said that a high IGF-1 increases your risk of cancer.

I don't think it's a great idea to be mucking around with your metabolism myself. Fibre is very important to removing toxins from the body.

Stuff that.

Happy to run/weights in the morning off an empty stomach, that's about it though.

The idea is that the digestive system needs to take a break for the immune system to kick in and to detoxify your cells.

There are other things like lowering your IGF-1. It is said that a high IGF-1 increases your risk of cancer.

I don't think it's a great idea to be mucking around with your metabolism myself. Fibre is very important to removing toxins from the body.

Their is minimal quality science to back this up, all it does is remove vital micronutrients, plays havoc and destroys good gut and colon bacteria.

Soluble fiber = good
Insoluble fiber = bad.

Last edited:
I have been doing 90-96 hour fasts every 8 weeks for the last 12 months. Just finished my last one Friday just gone. I have been IF'ing for over 18 months so that makes it a little easier to start, but if you can get through the first day its not so hard, and when you get used to it, its an amazing experience. 3rd and 4th day you just dont feel hungry, and the first "light" meal you have to break the fast is like a drug and you feel like superman and that stays in a lesser form for a few days. Its very liberating and a terrific mental challenge.

My main tip is to drink twice the amount of water you usually consume daily and if you can stomach it add a tsp of good salt (not table salt) first thing or last thing in the day, otherwise take some magnesium and potasium tablets upon waking and just before bed.

Try it, and be mentally strong, you will be rewarded.

U drinking black coffee during the fast?

U drinking black coffee during the fast?
Only the daily IF, but never the 4 day fasts as they are strictly water only. But I did one 4 day fast early in the year where i just had 3 Bulletproof's a day for 4 days. 2 Coffee and an early evening cocoa and that was the best i ever felt especially the small meal to break the fast. My experience of that is buried somewhere in the BP coffee thread.

I would love to do a 7 day bone broth fast.

Only the daily IF, but never the 4 day fasts as they are strictly water only. But I did one 4 day fast early in the year where i just had 3 Bulletproof's a day for 4 days. 2 Coffee and an early evening cocoa and that was the best i ever felt especially the small meal to break the fast. My experience of that is buried somewhere in the BP coffee thread.

I would love to do a 7 day bone broth fast.
Isn't the idea to have only water for the period of the fast to get the maximum benefit? And if it's an extended fast (say 72 hours) come off it gradually with liquids like soup for a day or so to give the digestive system a little time to readjust.

Think I might try a 24 hour water only to see how I go and see how I feel after that before attempting anything more prolonged.

Isn't the idea to have only water for the period of the fast to get the maximum benefit? And if it's an extended fast (say 72 hours) come off it gradually with liquids like soup for a day or so to give the digestive system a little time to readjust.

Think I might try a 24 hour water only to see how I go and see how I feel after that before attempting anything more prolonged.

The digestive system for me isnt an issue. I have been intermittent fasting around 18 months every day with a 7 hour eating window and 17 hour fast. The digestive tract usually empties around the 12 hour mark so the extra 5 hours is where i get one of the benefits. Their is no real hard and fast methods of breaking a long fast except keep the meal light and smallish, its a personal choice about feeling comfortable. Also their are so many methods of fasting and water only is just one of them.

If you head of over to this thread you will learn all their is to know about fasting from those who are regular fasters.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/intermittent-fasting.965961/

I have been doing 90-96 hour fasts every 8 weeks for the last 12 months. Just finished my last one Friday just gone. I have been IF'ing for over 18 months so that makes it a little easier to start, but if you can get through the first day its not so hard, and when you get used to it, its an amazing experience. 3rd and 4th day you just dont feel hungry, and the first "light" meal you have to break the fast is like a drug and you feel like superman and that stays in a lesser form for a few days. Its very liberating and a terrific mental challenge.

My main tip is to drink twice the amount of water you usually consume daily and if you can stomach it add a tsp of good salt (not table salt) first thing or last thing in the day, otherwise take some magnesium and potasium tablets upon waking and just before bed.

Try it, and be mentally strong, you will be rewarded.

When you go on those 90 hour fasts, do you do much exercise Bazzar? Was also wondering if you found that you lost much/any muscle mass in that period?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good question as i go to the gym 4 days, Tues. Thurs, Sat and Sun. Tues/Thurs are in that fasted period and its usually 1 hour bike and 1 hour boxing, and having been in full on nutritional ketosis all year and getting all my energy from fat so even though i will be in a fasted state i still have an abundance of energy that is normal to my system unlike normal people who will struggle more as they are dependent on glucose.

On the muscle wasting i have no idea as i cannot tell, but ripping into the heavy bag i go just as hard if not harder. If i was a competitive lifter i would notice it more.

"

When you go on those 90 hour fasts, do you do much exercise Bazzar? Was also wondering if you found that you lost much/any muscle mass in that period?

I read in one of Brad Pilon's books (the guy is one of the got to guys when it one comes to IF, fasting, protein amounts) and it takes the body around 72 hours, give or take to, go into starvation mode. My advice would be after the 36 hour mark to take 5g of BCAA's before and after exercise to help stop muscle wastage, or at 12hr intervals during your fast. Leangains expert Martin Berkhan suggests 5g of BCAA's are the limit as to not trigger the body into digestive mode as you do when you consume foods.

Most of the people are saying that three days is having tremendous benefits, but I don't think three days fasting is beneficial for everyone. Everyone can't do fasting three days continuously. Its benefits of fasting are fasting can improve immunity and longevity. It is the easiest way to loose the weight, but sometime it become the reason for weight gain and weakness. If you are fasting by taking liquid diet and fruits then it is fine, nothing will happen but eating nothing will cause problem for your health.
So when you aren't doing this how do you approach fasting.

On my second day of a three day fast now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back