Certified Legendary Thread Lions Players Instagram/Twitter catchup

Schache's huge through the legs and hips, but his arms look like they have really bulked up. Hope he has been doing enough core strength work to stay on top of things and minimise potential injury.

Cut Schaches head out of the picture and you'd think its a slim Jono Brown.

Incredible how quickly he has bulked up.

Tom Bell is going to be very hard to budge off the footy. Really keen to see him have a go as a lead up forward. He was top 10 in the comp for inside 50s last year and we struggled in that area. If he can be the conduit between the midfield and the goals, it will improve our structure significantly.

Tom Bell is going to be very hard to budge off the footy. Really keen to see him have a go as a lead up forward. He was top 10 in the comp for inside 50s last year and we struggled in that area. If he can be the conduit between the midfield and the goals, it will improve our structure significantly.
I got the impression his goal kicking isn't his strongest asset though.

Probably have to wait until the season commences before any assessment but if we were going strictly by aesthetics then the recruiting of Austin is a success. Boys are looking very good. Based on the photos from this preseason the group is looking the strongest and fittest I can recall for quite some time.

Doesn't necessarily need to be if he's playing a linking role. I'm more worried about his general field kicking!
I was referring more to your reference about him being a 'lead up forward'. I take a lead up forward to be someone who can lead, take a mark or possession and either kick a score himself or give it off to someone who can. A link man to me is someone bridges the gap between forwards and midfielders/backs.

I was referring more to your reference about him being a 'lead up forward'. I take a lead up forward to be someone who can lead, take a mark or possession and either kick a score himself or give it off to someone who can. A link man to me is someone bridges the gap between forwards and midfielders/backs.
My understanding of the term "lead up forward", as it is used today, is that it is a guy who leads up to the wings. So a high endurance type. Someone like Tom Lynch from Adelaide gets around 20 possessions and 7 marks a game but isn't necessarily expected to kick bags of goals (kicked about 30 goals last year)

They aren't "lead, mark, kick at goal" types like a Bradshaw or Fevola.

Jan 9, 2009
Queensland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
These are some twitter photos of the boys playing some PS4 at the Fox Footy photo shoot:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaUgYU1VAAAZnWt.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaU9mfmVIAU89zL.jpg Based on these photos and Rocky's instagram shot with Schachey we now know that Rockliff, Rich, Zorko, Bundy and Schache are all there. Stef Martin is there as well. I wonder who else is there. Dayne Beams and Pearce Hanley should be surely?

These are photos of Browny, Rocky and Chris Johnson at the Lions 2016 HOF Launch at Ethiad Stadium today:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaVFq7KUYAAd44l.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaVDU1NUEAAS8kn.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CaU_KbXUYAIRH1O.jpg

It is great to see Chrissy Johnson in the Lions polo again! This is also a quote from Johnson on Steele Tallon's twitter: "There are good times ahead for the Lions. We need some stability at the Club, hopefully we can keep Leppa here for a long, long time."

With Johnson wearing the Lions polo and him using the words "hopefully we can keep Leppa here for a long, long time." Does that not look/sound as if he is working with the Lions in an official capacity? Does anyone know whether he is or not?

Last edited:

knaf

Club Legend
Mar 15, 2008
Standing on Sacred Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In the Squizzy photo who's the guy to the far right behind Roger. Cant be McGrath can it?

On Chris Johnston, I heard about a year from a relative of Chris' that he was having discussions with the Lions. May have been nothing in it.

My understanding of the term "lead up forward", as it is used today, is that it is a guy who leads up to the wings. So a high endurance type. Someone like Tom Lynch from Adelaide gets around 20 possessions and 7 marks a game but isn't necessarily expected to kick bags of goals (kicked about 30 goals last year)

They aren't "lead, mark, kick at goal" types like a Bradshaw or Fevola.
I suppose that's my point, sort of - I don't see him as a Tom Lynch type - 192 cm, and capable of taking six or seven marks a game leading out from the forward line. In fact, I think it would be a waste of his obvious talents when what we are crying out for is more big-bodied mids.

I suppose that's my point, sort of - I don't see him as a Tom Lynch type - 192 cm, and capable of taking six or seven marks a game leading out from the forward line. In fact, I think it would be a waste of his obvious talents when what we are crying out for is more big-bodied mids.

Bell played a similar type of role for Carlton last season though. Around 20 possessions. Fewer marks than Lynch but still around 4-5 marks a game. Lots of uncontested possessions, despite the perception that he played an in and under role.

IMO, the Lynch role is more midfielder/wing than traditional forward. 20 touches a game is high production.

Kevvo

Premium Platinum
Oct 17, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
In the Squizzy photo who's the guy to the far right behind Roger. Cant be McGrath can it?

On Chris Johnston, I heard about a year from a relative of Chris' that he was having discussions with the Lions. May have been nothing in it.

McGrath's in front of Beasley I think, sporting a pretty dicey beard.

Oct 29, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Blazers/Heat, ORST beavers

Heard the same, supposedly a welfare type role. I think Johnno was playing local footy on and off last year though.

I think that people have a tendency to think of inside when they hear big bodied which leads to confusion. Big bodied mids aren't necessarily inside guys exclusively, nor are all inside mids big bodied (aka Black). This is where the confusion surrounding Bell appears to have come from. He has never been an inside midfielder. His strength has always been his ability to cover large amounts of ground. His size enables him to go well in one on one contests in space and also in one on one marking contests. Sure he can go into a pack sometimes and clear out some space due to his size, but he's by no means an extractor of the ball.

Back