Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
IF Gold Coast were prepared to offer one of these two in exchange for our first round pick (circa #9) who would you go for?

Here's our forward line either way:

R.Gray/Ah Chee Schulz Bennell
Wingard Westhoff Hartlett/Krakouer

or

R.Gray/Ah Chee Dixon Monfries
Wingard Westhoff Hartlett/Krakouer

giphy.gif

Bennell. I know we need a key forward more, but Dixon is injury prone and Bennell is an absolute freak. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Wingard + Robbie Gray + Bennell would be the best HFF/midfield rotation trio in AFL history.

I echo the 'why don't we have both?' sentiment though. Forget Redden and Aish and Carlisle and anyone else we've talked about, if Dixon and Bennell are both gettable then throw the ****ing kitchen sink at them. Pick 7 + Lobbe + Schulz if that's what it takes. Just get them.

Last edited:
Bennell. I know we need a key forward more, but Dixon is injury prone and Bennell is an absolute freak.

I echo the 'why don't we have both?' sentiment though. Forget Redden and Aish and Carlisle and anyone else we've talked about, if Dixon and Bennell are both gettable then throw the ****ing kitchen sink at them.

Macca19 seems pretty confident that Bennell will stay at the Suns. I'm not sure I want to break the bank to get Bennell until our new-look midfield does a full season with Ah Chee and Samwise Gamgee in their new incarnations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An injury-prone forward and an (admittedly in the past but who knows) drug user? Hmmmmmm.........nup.
That sort/type of debate was being used years back as a reason not to go for Schulz.

Kids are kids and most do grow up. Bennell should be welconed with open arms if we have a chance to get him. Robbie Gray, Wingard and Bennell in the same team would give opposition coaches nightmares.

That sort/type of debate was being used years back as a reason not to go for Schulz.

Kids are kids and most do grow up. Bennell should be welconed with open arms if we have a chance to get him. Robbie Gray, Wingard and Bennell in the same team would give opposition coaches nightmares.
OK but he would cost a bomb and I can't see our list handling it. Although there's a lot I don't understand about the caps like even with COLA how do Sydney keep the list they have, how does Hawthorn manage to hold onto big salary players without having to prune the odd one every now and then like Essendon and Damien Hardwick, ditto the late 2000s Geelong and how do the Dogs afford and justify a million a season contract for a 1-season, 9-game, 8-goal forward?

Also, Schulz did not cost us a first-round pick but Mitchell Farmer and draft pick 71. That trade ended up better than the Shaun Burgoyne trade which got us 2 extra first-round picks(as well as Jay Nash and #97) which were not used to their best.

Last edited:
Macca19 seems pretty confident that Bennell will stay at the Suns. I'm not sure I want to break the bank to get Bennell until our new-look midfield does a full season with Ah Chee and Samwise Gamgee in their new incarnations.

What the hell is not to like? Your budget-consciousness sounds like David Moyes trying to run ManU with Everton thinking.

I'd be quite happy using Wingard 75% of the time as the mobile CHF that Westhoff isn't, while Bennell plays further up as one more slick ball getter/ball user delivering I50. Insurance for Polec's poor foot at worst, but Matt White's spot in the 22 is the one under the pump in a Bennell-to-Port scenario IMO and Kane Mitchell would surely leave the building. It also lets Monfries focus on what he's good at (and on staying on his bloody feet).

Sam and Arch OTOH are threatening to push Young out of the side and to push Moore out of the building. Threatening because it's still very early days for those two. I could re-phrase your statement as "I want to see newbies Arch and Gray for one more season before I decide if I want one more player like Gray or Wingard, and too bad if the chance to assemble a 'dream team' never comes again, at least I won't have taken a risk with our so-limited resources."

It must be the Scot in me but yeah I do think we have limited resources. We only have so many draft picks, and we only have so much salary cap.

Our existing midfield has Paddy Ryder, Travis Boak, Robbie Gray and Ollie Wines headlining, with Jared Polec and Matt White on the outside. Those first four names don't come cheap and that's before I've paid for Chad F****** Wingard, who is even more expensive (and worth every damn penny). Now you want to sign up a talented cokehead and pay him a pretty penny?

Bennell as an abstract is an amazing figure. I'm not so sure about the reality. We'd have to give up too much.

FishingRick04 can Nieuvision come up with a financial plan to help us out here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back