Benny McGlynns goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Crock

All Australian
Oct 22, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Watched the game many times (but still not enough!)
Benny McGlynn’s goal at the start of the second quarter was a good goal.
If he was still playing in the Brown & Gold we would all be cheering him.
Just before the ball bounced through Goodes pushed one of our players (Suckling?) away from the ball but, in my opinion, Goodes got a fair bit of his back!
So if the ball is in “free flight” like that, what is the rule?
Does the “push in the back” rule not apply in that case?

Just curious!

It was a free against Goodes on the line that was not paid.

You can't shepherd the ball through from behind an opponent.

It should've been called a push in the back.

That piece of play puzzled me as well. Is it possible that Lake thought he was going to get the free so didn't attempt to spoil that much? Looked like he could have easily rushed it through (or at least made a contest).

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/sydney-sw...ndfinal-destiny--at-last-20140920-10jqrv.html

394261-f291b8f0-4394-11e4-bbb6-36a0bafef4a2.jpg

Is that Kennedy behind him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just before the ball bounced through Goodes pushed one of our players (Suckling?) away from the ball

Then you would have realised it was Brian Lake that Goodes pushed

Who's place would he take in the 22?

I thought this may have been the goal he cheated to get in the Round 18 game, the one that was apparently touched.

To be fair, it was the umpires who cheated (or maybe they just blundered)

I do get the sentiment though but don't share it.

If he was in Brown and Gold of course we would cheer for him, but I if there is going to be a thread on goals to cheer for from the Granny.. there is 21 other goals much better and much more worthy than McGlynns that need their own thread on this board!!

I thought this may have been the goal he cheated to get in the Round 18 game, the one that was apparently touched.

To be fair, it was the umpires who cheated (or maybe they just blundered)

I was thinking the same thing as I took a rare break from watching the GF and watched the R18 match last night :D.

Benny who?

Benny Hill I think, after all if you played the Benny Hill theme the Sydney players look funny chasing after Hawks all day

I was more annoyed at mcglynns (pretty sure it was him) blatant block in the dying minutes stopping any chance of Spanhger marking in the goal square. That or even free would have brought the house down. Then again who cares now.

I still care.:(

If anyone deserved to take a hanger and nail a goal after the siren it's the Spang.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back