Opinion Best 22 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

We need to win the ball from time to time to implement a gameplan.

There's already been one club that let Moloney go to play the kids. Didn't work out too well.

Hey we can draw a lot of comparisons between the Lions 2014 and the Demons 2012.

Yep can't see them delisting Maloney. Might be old but he's a ball winner and a leader on field.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I personally think Dawson will be a lock for one of the half back flanks. We're desperately lacking some skill in the back and he'll definitely bring that to the team.

IIRC he was on a 2 year contract when he came to our club.

Ah yep, you're right. His presser when joining mentioned that he hoped to play for three or four more years, so that's where the confusion came from.

I don't think the team by the end of the year will be performing the way it is now, regardless of the actual personnel. The season is long and there will be improvement. Keep in mind that a number of players are doubling their AFL level experience every month. There is a lot that has gone wrong so far but things turn and lots of players will improve. At the moment many young guys are still getting up to speed at this level. Clarke for example is on about 20 games, Zorko, Lester, Golby, Harwood and Bewick haven't hit 50 (well Bewick just has) yet there is probably a tendency at times to think about them and have expectations of them as 150 gamers because we are such a young team outside some veterans.

Experience is the great improver with many players. Careers might be slow to start because of inexperience but time solves that problem more than in most other sports. Very few bad players have long careers in AFL and I think our young players are potentially all good enough to have long careers.

Our best 22 is going to be a work in progress much more than experienced teams. In time it will settle and I think we will be happy to have endured this pain for the results that will come when we have a more experienced, yet still young team on the field.

Can people still see Moloney not being delisted?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should've read: Do people still think Moloney isn't a chance of being delisted?

Moloney may not play next year. But if that happens, it will be because he's retired, not because he's been delisted. Bit early to be thinking about that in round 6 though.

Moloney may not play next year. But if that happens, it will be because he's retired, not because he's been delisted. Bit early to be thinking about that in round 6 though.

That was in reference to an earlier post of mine trying to predict a best 22 for next season in which I wrote that Moloney will more than likely be delisted which some posters disagreed with. I just don't think he'd really bring that much to a rebuilding side like we are.

That was in reference to an earlier post of mine trying to predict a best 22 for next season in which I wrote that Moloney will more than likely be delisted which some posters disagreed with. I just don't think he'd really bring that much to a rebuilding side like we are.

I would imagine that it's less of an issue with the idea that he might not be on the list next year, and more with the idea that he may be delisted. Where he's at right now is a bit up in the air, but last year he was a best 22 player all year long and a brilliant performer for us. So to make the comment that he's 'more than likely' to be delisted off the back of that is a bit of a stretch. He may be a chance to retire, but no chance he'll be delisted I wouldn't have thought.

I think even if he played 16 games next year he still has value. Our team, and espespecially our engine room is and will be very young. The 3Rs are our top line players, one will be coming back from an ACL and combined the 3 of them are only hitting 100 games. It would not hurt to have a 200 gamer mid in there helping out, and moloney is quality.

Only way I see him going is if we are able to get another 26-28 year old mid via FA ro basically be that 200 gamer player. Still plenty of spots available to play the kids.

I am not sure where Beamer is at at the moment. One thing for sure, he is definitely down on form. He may be carrying an injury and this may explain part of the problem or he may just simply be down on form, not dissimilar to Sauce prior to his suspension.
I also have a sense that he is not playing the role expected of him and I draw this assumption from a couple of comments made by Leppa over recent weeks about "soft" goals and "the need for senior players to show leadership" at crucial times in games". Leppa has definitely been having a go at someone (or more than one senior player) and maybe Beamer has been the bad boy and not doing the defensive work expected of him at clearances.

I would imagine that it's less of an issue with the idea that he might not be on the list next year, and more with the idea that he may be delisted. Where he's at right now is a bit up in the air, but last year he was a best 22 player all year long and a brilliant performer for us. So to make the comment that he's 'more than likely' to be delisted off the back of that is a bit of a stretch. He may be a chance to retire, but no chance he'll be delisted I wouldn't have thought.
If we look at the list of players who might be delisted at the end of the season, he really shouldn't be on it. And if he is, we probably won't have enough players left on the senior list. We really can't afford to be delisting experienced players who are normally best 22 when we're going to be losing a lot of experience to retirement already.

We had a lot of list changes last year, we wont have the same quality and quantity of draft picks this year. List changes should be kept minimal I think with only a couple of key ins.

Draft a top KPF, hopefully still have our 2nd pick for another draftee. 3rd and maybe 4th used on academy players, although hopefully like last year we can get away with sneaking a few of them via the rookie list. ZOB and Archie maybe upgraded. Thats an easy 4-5 senior list changes with little effort. There will be no point in delisting players like polks and raines only to replace them with picks 68 and 87 in the draft.

Further more, if we finish say 16th, we will have picks 3 and 21 as our first 2 picks (assuming no priority picks). That is plenty good enough to get another 2 good quality youngsters. Couple of academy kids and rookie upgrades and we are done. We dont need any more than that, especially with having 4 young first year players doing so well this year. Plenty enough youth, we dont need to bring any more young players in, 2 more to our class of 4 (5 now with gardiner playing) and Paps and Mayes in 2nd year, plenty of young talent. We could dead set take a year off and really go hard at trading our picks to bring in a top talent.

Further more, if we finish say 16th, we will have picks 3 and 21 as our first 2 picks (assuming no priority picks). That is plenty good enough to get another 2 good quality youngsters. Couple of academy kids and rookie upgrades and we are done. We dont need any more than that, especially with having 4 young first year players doing so well this year. Plenty enough youth, we dont need to bring any more young players in, 2 more to our class of 4 (5 now with gardiner playing) and Paps and Mayes in 2nd year, plenty of young talent. We could dead set take a year off and really go hard at trading our picks to bring in a top talent.
Problem is, we'll have access to 2 academy selections who are looking fairly promising at this stage + 2 potential f/s.
You don't get that too often.

1-3 rookie upgrades, a father son or two, you'd think at least 2 academy players, plus our first and possibly second round draft pick. So we could have between 5 and 9 senior list spots needing to be vacated at the end of the year.
I think guys like Polks, Martin and Raines might be sweating on our rookies not deserving promotion, the guys we have first dibs on not being worth ND picks or some veterans retiring so they can stay on the list.

1-3 rookie upgrades, a father son or two, you'd think at least 2 academy players, plus our first and possibly second round draft pick. So we could have between 5 and 9 senior list spots needing to be vacated at the end of the year.
I think guys like Polks, Martin and Raines might be sweating on our rookies not deserving promotion, the guys we have first dibs on not being worth ND picks or some veterans retiring so they can stay on the list.
Weardon and Crisp also.

if weardon doesnt dominate the ressies after he returns from injury later this year, hes a gonner i reckon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back