Opinion Best 22 - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Our performances improved once Judd came into the side though.
True. But I'm not so sure it was Judd that led the end of season turnaround. We lost to gws with judd in the side. I really think the improvement wasnt due to one player but the team first attitude.

True. But I'm not so sure it was Judd that led the end of season turnaround. We lost to gws with judd in the side. I really think the improvement wasnt due to one player but the team first attitude.

Murphy pretty much said that on Monday.
Wonder if the penny has finally dropped with some of our players.

Murphy pretty much said that on Monday.
Wonder if the penny has finally dropped with some of our players.
I can't help but feel it has. Especially since those who weren't willing to follow suit were shown the door.

I can't help but feel it has. Especially since those who weren't willing to follow suit were shown the door.

This, and the fact the players have finally adapted to Mick's game plan.
I really don't see why we can't play finals in 2015.

This, and the fact the players have finally adapted to Mick's game plan.
I really don't see why we can't play finals in 2015.
I think we can as well, but it all depends on our injury run. There are some players we cannot afford to lose for extended periods.

I think we can as well, but it all depends on our injury run. There are some players we cannot afford to lose for extended periods.

Henderson for me is just about our most important player now.
And we need to get a full season out of Kreuzer.

These two play the majority of games in 2015 and we're on our way to the finals IMO.

Henderson for me is just about our most important player now.
And we need to get a full season out of Kreuzer.

These two play the majority of games in 2015 and we're on our way to the finals IMO.
Agree. And I reckon Yazz is nearing the same status.

Jamo used to be but with the emergence of Rowe we could probably survive for a bit.

Everitt's a interesting one to me.

His versatility makes him hard to drop but he can't afford any lapses in form if he wants to retain his spot.
Everitt is far from any danger of losing his spot. Was brilliant for us. I like having those point of difference players, more so now that we lost Betts, Garlett, Waite, Robinson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everitt is far from any danger of losing his spot. Was brilliant for us. I like having those point of difference players, more so now that we lost Betts, Garlett, Waite, Robinson.

Mick has turned him into quite a brilliant tall utility.
Did not see this coming 12 months ago when we recruited him.

I think curnow and touhy may find it difficult to fit into the side next year
Very much agree re: Tuohy. At his best he is a good player but he has battled for some time now due to persistent injuries. Fully expecting the club to draft one or two 'mature agers' like Boekhorst who may be introduced to the 22 early on, Tuohy could be one who finds it tough to maintain his spot.

Think Curnow is safe.

Gibbs should be playing midfield permanently. If any of our mids rest forward more often it should be Murphy.

Spot on. Murph should be more outside with good stints resting up forward as the "small fwd", Juddy should also be a candidate for this role. Indeed with less bullocking grunt work required significant improvement in both set shot and running shot accuracy is very possible.

I've always thought that Gibbs can be played on the opps best pure midfielder. Playing on a Selwood/Sloane/Pendles type is going to mean that he is drawn to the ball regardless of whether it's forward or back and suggests that if he ends up with 30+ touches; at least 2-3 are likley to be shots.

I disagree with the above in that I don't think Murph is a great goal kicker when resting forward at all. IMO, most of the goals he kicks are when he pushes really hard from up the ground and burns off his opponent through his gut running.

I disagree with the above in that I don't think Murph is a great goal kicker when resting forward at all. IMO, most of the goals he kicks are when he pushes really hard from up the ground and burns off his opponent through his gut running.
Murphy has proven himself to be creative in front of goal and also a good crumbing player at the feet of the forwards, but I agree that Gibbs is a better forward. Years ago when he was stuck at HBF I kept saying they should have him forward instead and he would do more damage than just playing loose. He is a very good overhead mark and finds space well.

Murphy has proven himself to be creative in front of goal and also a good crumbing player at the feet of the forwards, but I agree that Gibbs is a better forward. Years ago when he was stuck at HBF I kept saying they should have him forward instead and he would do more damage than just playing loose. He is a very good overhead mark and finds space well.
Yep. First thing that popped into my head was when he started up forward against Port last year in lieu of Betts and Yarran.

Offers something different to Gibbs as a forward, but as a 'small forward', his crumbing ability and goal sense are undeniable.

Spot on. Murph should be more outside with good stints resting up forward as the "small fwd", Juddy should also be a candidate for this role. Indeed with less bullocking grunt work required significant improvement in both set shot and running shot accuracy is very possible.

I've always thought that Gibbs can be played on the opps best pure midfielder. Playing on a Selwood/Sloane/Pendles type is going to mean that he is drawn to the ball regardless of whether it's forward or back and suggests that if he ends up with 30+ touches; at least 2-3 are likley to be shots.

I think Judd has put on some muscle in the off season, looks huge.I think he will play more as an inside mid in 2015.
More late career Kouta than early career Judd.

I think Judd has put on some muscle in the off season, looks huge.I think he will play more as an inside mid in 2015.
More late career Kouta than early career Judd.

would rather he "stripped" down and played more outside/flank type role.
would actually prefer Murphy, Judd, Yarran, Doc, even Menz/Walker as outside types aand leave the grunt to Bell, Whiley, Kruezer etc.

But then again, I won't object to us monstering a few sides either. Would really love to physically dominate Norf/Richmond/Delusiondon etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back