Opinion Best 22 - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

White is being groomed for a midfield role.

Is that a fact?
I can't see it. White just hasn't got those magnetic one-touch hands and razor sharp vision required.

Jaksch hasn't the body needed for this year either. May well play a game or two but I wouldn't bank on him being used ahead of White.

Replacing Simon White would be low on our priority list.

Jaksch, as Harks said, will play the odd game but this is another development year for him.

What's most exciting is that it seems the Northern Blues will have a much better year. This will allow us to really get our young players used to playing the style we want in seniors as opposed to playing reactionary footy after being beaten week in week out.

I can't remember too many Blues players coming in confident after getting the call up to AFL. Maybe Menzel but others like Watson, Graham etc haven't tasted too many wins in Navy.

Not Best 22 - went with a Best 28
I am of the opinion that those listed either have a spot sewn up or a battling it out with those dual listed
The emergencies are either going to have breakout season or will be given a chance during the year as their outside game/ball skills are required going forward

Tuohy/Buckley Jamieson Simpson
Sheehan/Docherty Rowe White/Jaksch
Yarran Gibbs Everitt
Walker Henderson Menzel
Tutt/Smith Jones/Watson Casboult
Kreuzer Murphy Curnow/Carazzo

Cripps Thomas Bell Judd
emerg:Whiley Graham Boekhorst Viojo-Rainbow

Replacing Simon White would be low on our priority list.

To suggest he's marginal is disappointing given he had his best season with 19 games. He's a c-grader, to be sure. But he performs a role every week.

I can see him missing matches only if his form drops off to the extent they want to give Jaksch a run - but if Kristian is being eased in following an injury scare then the latter won't play much. In any case, there's an argument that playing three 193cm+ backmen makes us too top heavy.

In any case, we just recruited Fields...

Is that a fact?
Jaksch hasn't the body needed for this year either. May well play a game or two but I wouldn't bank on him being used ahead of White.

Going by recent pics I've seen, Jaksch really needs to spend a LOT of time in the gym. Maybe in a gym near Windy Hill. He's surprisingly srcrawny and lacks any muscle tone or definition. Really needs to bulk up big time if he is to play even a third tall role.

Hate saying it, but Tuohy almost isn't best 22 material right now for me, based on a very dissapointing season in 2014(and didn't do himself any favours with bad body language and ill-disciplined acts at times)

He was very fortunate not to be dropped to the 2nds, due to lack of available replacements ..

Maybe we can fill his spot at the HBF with Everitt or possibly even Jaksch, and play him future up the ground, considering a possible concern of where our goals will come from, Mick may have to do that, definitely can snag a soda from outside 50 Ms which is a plus.

He'll play back and may have stints in the midfield.

I think it's always best to get the mid-fielders playing midfield first and build up the back-up slowly.

My concern is we have too many gifted 'flankers', such as Docherty, Buckley, Yarran, Everitt, Walker and Menzel.

Individually they contribute and bring excitement to the team. But collectively, more need to step up and gut-run through the midfield. Less of the quiet 10-15 possession games, consistently evolving into 20-25.

Cripps, Graham and Boekhorst can't be expected to entirely pick up the slack. Our rotations are going to suffer with the delistings of Robinson, McLean, Lucas and old man Scotland.

(As evidenced by us being the 17th(?) team for fewest kicks and handballs)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Based on Touhys' 2014 season, you would have to say that he is not a walk up start for our best 22 - 2015.
However, I would expect that our team will be picked on form not favor and starting players for rnd 1 will be our best performers over the preseason.
In effect each and every player is starting afresh and their preseason form provides us with insight as to whom will be playing for our club in rnd 1.

In saying that, I acknowledge that we have players who transcend that expectation and who have proven over several seasons that they are class players who deliver on game day. As such, those players will always be considered for best 22 regardless of their preseason form.
However, given our depth has improved I believe that it is time we review even those players form and fitness before including them.

I think the message out of the club is clear. In 2015 the midfield will consist of big bodied extractors on the inside and fast, skillful kicking, ball carriers on the outside.

Liam Jones has been recruited to play forward and Jaksch has been recruited to play back, so they will be given every chance to consolidate their positions.

Wood has demonstrated that he is capable of playing 1st ruck, so this gives Kreuzer a chance to get his body right and provides an opportunity for him to concentrate on his forward play. Mick has mentioned on a couple of occasions that a fit Kreuzer will put pressure on Casboult to perform. Competition for spots can only be a good thing.

I can't see how the results are going to change much if the same team lines up in 2015 as was played in 2014. Time for the youngsters to step up!

FB Everitt Jamison Jaksch

HB Simpson Rowe Yarran

C Judd Gibbs Murphy

Fol Wood Cripps Whiley

HF Thomas Henderson Walker

FF Menzel Kreuzer Jones

Int Docherty Buckley Sheehan Boekhorst

Emg Casboult Carrazzo Graham

Wood has demonstrated that he is capable of playing 1st ruck,

Newsflash. Cameron Wood is on rookie list and only there as back up ruck in case of emergency. Kruezer is clearly going to be in the ruck 90% of time and if he needs a chop out it will likely be Casboult taking a few ballups to help out or even Rowe from backline.

If Kruezer was injured again for any length of time they would find some way to upgrade Wood from rookie list to be eligible for seniors. He is probably also there as insurance if Warnock does not work out as the second in line. Which seems, more and more likely. I would suspect if we get rid of Warnock at end of next season Wood will be promoted to senior list and we draft or trade to get a new young ruck for long term future next off season. But for now it is full steam ahead Kruezer and not likely to see any reason for Warnock or Wood in the 22.

Going by recent pics I've seen, Jaksch really needs to spend a LOT of time in the gym. Maybe in a gym near Windy Hill. He's surprisingly srcrawny and lacks any muscle tone or definition. Really needs to bulk up big time if he is to play even a third tall role.

Dustin Fletcher says hello. He and Jaksch have very similar body shape and long arms for spoiling. Not every player needs to be a monster, and Fletcher is a great example of just that. He uses his body cleverly to nudge out his opponent and get in the spoil.

A fit Jaksch should be given 10-15 senior games this year.

I was in the pub last night chatting with a mate about who Carlton's most important player is. And I thought it would be an interesting discussion point to raise on BF, seeing what other people's Top 5 looks like, based primarily on who we need to play to their potential in 2015:

1. Matthew Kreuzer
  2. Lachlan Henderson
  3. Marc Murphy
  4. Bryce Gibbs
  5. Dale Thomas

Newsflash. Cameron Wood is on rookie list and only there as back up ruck in case of emergency. Kruezer is clearly going to be in the ruck 90% of time and if he needs a chop out it will likely be Casboult taking a few ballups to help out or even Rowe from backline.

If Kruezer was injured again for any length of time they would find some way to upgrade Wood from rookie list to be eligible for seniors. He is probably also there as insurance if Warnock does not work out as the second in line. Which seems, more and more likely. I would suspect if we get rid of Warnock at end of next season Wood will be promoted to senior list and we draft or trade to get a new young ruck for long term future next off season. But for now it is full steam ahead Kruezer and not likely to see any reason for Warnock or Wood in the 22.
Wood has been given a 2 year contract recently and can play as a nominated rookie. After last season Warnock has a bit to prove before he plays ahead of Wood.

You could be right about Kreuzer playing first ruck though, with Casboult in support. He will either play forward/ruck or ruck/forward you would think. I'd still like to see him given time as a forward and then maybe move into the ruck if required and when his body is match hardened.

It's interesting to hear the training reports commenting on how much Kreuzer has slimmed down and how well he is moving. This at least would support the idea he's going to spend more time forward.

I was in the pub last night chatting with a mate about who Carlton's most important player is. And I thought it would be an interesting discussion point to raise on BF, seeing what other people's Top 5 looks like, based primarily on who we need to play to their potential in 2015:

1. Matthew Kreuzer
  2. Lachlan Henderson
  3. Marc Murphy
  4. Bryce Gibbs
  5. Dale Thomas
Yeah good topic.

I'd have something similar to that. We've seen Kruezer in the past push us over the line. The most notable is the 2013 match against North where he cleaned up 3 Brownlow votes.

If Kruezer and Henderson are fit and Murphy, Gibbs and Thomas are firing we're top 8 without a doubt.

However... the problem is the next string of players. In order to have any shot in the top tier for the next few years it is essential Graham, Whiley, Jaksch, Casboult, one of Jones/Watson and others step up. If we can get a few of those to take the next level this year we're in for a top 8 birth.

Last edited:
  1. Matthew Kreuzer
  2. Lachlan Henderson
  3. Marc Murphy
  4. Bryce Gibbs
  5. Dale Thomas

1. Henderson............I think he's the most important player we have to our set-ups.
2. Gibbs....................For all the obvious quality he brings to the team.
3. Jamison................For the fact he's our best tall defender.
4. Murphy................At his best, he's our best player even if not for being the most forceful of leaders yet.
5. Simpson...............Lot of what he does and directs goes unnoticed.

with the draft being finished my team is as follows..

FB: BUCKLEY JAMISON DOCHERTY BACKUPS FB: WHITE, TUOHY, SMITH, SHEEHAN
CHB: JAKSCH ROWE YARRAN CHB: WATSON, RAINBOW, HOLMAN
C: SIMPSON MURPHEY WALKER C: GRAHAM, CARRAZZO, CURNOW
HF: BOEKHURST CASBOULT THOMAS HF: WATSON,
FF: MENZEL HENDERSON JONES FF: SMITH,
FOL: KREUZER JUDD GIBBS RUCK: WOOD
INT: BELL EVERITT CRIPPS SUB: GRAHAM

I think carazzo is on his last legs and wouldnt be suprised if this is his last year, his kicking has become average and he wasnt finding the ball that much. If he can force his way back into the team as a tagger who gets the ball like he did a few years ago then theres definently a spot for him.
Warnock is useless, not a bad tap ruckman but doesnt do much around the ground, so Wood would be my backup ruckman if kreuzer goes down.

I also see whiley playing a bit of footy but havent seen much of him as yet. I like what the blues have done this year with rejuvenating the list. Like the bunch of youngsters who've joined. If i was ellard, armfield, carrazzo, white, watson, warnock, id be wanting to have a good year otherwise mick will add to the exodus that he has created over the last two years. I was suprised that we didnt take goddard at pick 19 but they obviously see boekhurst as a gun who might not of slipped to pick 28. Wait and see i guess

Reckon it'll be pretty interesting to see the team in preseason... Maybe rest the likes of Murphy, Carrazzo, Judd, Simpson, Jamison and Henderson.

FB: Buckley - Rowe - Sheehan
HB: Yarran - Jaksch - Docherty

C: Thomas - Cripps - Boekhurst
Foll: Kruezer - Gibbs - Graham

HF: Bell - Watson - Walker
FF: Jones - Casboult - Menzel

Inter: Whiley, Curnow, Tuohy and DVR

Remove this Banner Ad

Back