Opinion Best 22 - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Was listening to Mick or Rogers talking about how they map out our best side over a certain amount of time and what it will look like in the future and got me thinking what out best under 23 years of age side is. Makes me think the list managers were actually seeking out to make this squad and it's interesting to note we planned to maybe take a project ruckman.

Buckley, Jaksch, Fields
Docherty, Giles, Gowers
Boekhorst, Graham, Viojo Rainbow
Smith, Watson, Menzel
Johnson, Foster, Byrne
xxxx, Cripps, Whiley
Holman, Dick, Walsh, Russell

Was listening to Mick or Rogers talking about how they map out our best side over a certain amount of time and what it will look like in the future and got me thinking what out best under 23 years of age side is. Makes me think the list managers were actually seeking out to make this squad and it's interesting to note we planned to maybe take a project ruckman.

Buckley, Jaksch, Fields
Docherty, Giles, Gowers
Boekhorst, Graham, Viojo Rainbow
Smith, Watson, Menzel
Johnson, Foster, Byrne
xxxx, Cripps, Whiley
Holman, Dick, Walsh, Russell

Only the bolded have really shown something at AFL level there.

Too many unproven kids worries me.

Only the bolded have really shown something at AFL level there.

Too many unproven kids worries me.
Not every young player can be an AFL superstar like Judd from the get go and like Melbourne has shown, it's important to give kids the time to develop and not thrust them into senior footy and ruin them.

Whiley, Cripps, Boekhorst, Graham, Jaksch, Watson, Johnson will all almost certainly play senior footy from that list.

You're allowed to rate our kids, despite what other club supporters tell you.

Dustin Fletcher says hello. He and Jaksch have very similar body shape and long arms for spoiling. Not every player needs to be a monster, and Fletcher is a great example of just that. He uses his body cleverly to nudge out his opponent and get in the spoil.

A fit Jaksch should be given 10-15 senior games this year.

Yeah, but you can see that Fletcher is "wiry" and whilst slim, is still toned. Jaksch doesn't look wiry. I hope I'm wrong and a big pre-season will sort him out, or he is like you say, "Fletcher skinny".

we might be rebuilding but things could go pretty well this year if we stay fit. here is a best 22 based on best case scenario's, 3rd year players and others set to break out doing that in a big way. Old guys not dropping off and injured players returning to their fittest and best.

B buckley Jamison Jaksch
HB Docherty Rowe Yarren
C Thomas gibbs simpson
FOL Judd Carrazzo Kreuzer
HF Walker Henderson Murphy
F Menzel Casbolt jones
I/C Sheehan Graham Cripps Boekhorst (sub)

the big if's
Buckley: keeps stepping it up
Jammo: stays fit, doesn't run out of shoulder tape
Jaksch: has not really done much yet in his career, needs a big third year breakout
Docherty: continues last years rise
Rowe: consistent, dower, defender
Yarren: last year was a big step up for him, could become elite.
Thomas: we know his best is AA
Gibbs: some more of that AA stuff please
Simpson: play Clem smith against West Coast and meeter out what the tribunal failed to do to wellingham
Judd: stay fit
Carrazzo: we have not seen a fit Carrazzo for years, but when he is fit he is the best tag going around
Kreuzer: lets see his best this year please!
Walker: back to the forward line and 50 goals
Hendo: had a shocker last year, show us some magic
Murphy: more AA action
Menzel: im hoping that we look back and think how average Menz was for a couple of years before a 3rd year celling smasher
Casbolt: we have seem glimpses. Come of age!
Jones: loves the change and comes good
Sheehan: how good was he for a first year player of the game last year.
Grahem: third year breakout
Cripps: probably need a year or two more before we see the best of him
Boekhorst: mature and hits the ground running

Can't agree with Carrazzo automatically in the first 22 anymore. If anyone is sacrificed for the betterment of our team next year, it needs to be him.

With our new recruit best 22 has to be this

FB: Jamison | Silvagni | Buckley
HB: Simpson | Rowe | Docherty
C: Yarran | Gibbs | Everitt
R: Kreuzer | Murphy | Curnow
HF: Thomas | Henderson | Menzel
FF: Walker | Casboult | Jones

Int: Judd, Crips, Touhy, Boekhurst

Edit: I've just been told SoS has not come back out of retirement to save us and is some sort of list manager - weird

People questioning White have a poor understanding of the game. He's a solid defender with neat skills who rarely, if ever, gets beaten and is extremely versatile, which you have to be to play as a tall back pocket. One week he's playing on Taylor Walker, next week Goddard and next a ruckman. Height, leap, speed, agility and smarts. This is why Watson will probably not make it in this role. I think it's good that we see Jaksch in this role but I doubt he'd be ahead of White at this stage.

On Tuohy, he will not be best 22 next season on his 2014 form. Quite simply he was poor but we had no one else to play this role. Now we have a few to play this role or at least be tried in this role. Buckley you think would be a lock for the small defender position which may free Tuohy up to play more suitable roles but the pressure will be on.

Carrazzo has been a quality player for years but I can see him being under pressure. I think he could get back to playing good footy if he wasn't injured frequently. If he doesn't start hurting the opposition with his possession then he might be in trouble. Will be very interesting to see how his season pans out.

The three tall forward line will be interesting, one will be pushed up the ground, at times this has been Casboult, simply because it means he was having less shots on goal, but his mobility is an issue up around the wings and it doesn't save him well for going into the ruck. Henderson is our best suited to pushing up the ground but we want him having shots on goal. Jones I don't think will play too far from goal and Watson by the looks of it seems to play out of the square a lot though I like him up the field purely for his kicking. Finding out how to space our big men apart will be interesting.

Things are going to get interesting as well if some of our more quicker and skilful players who have played half back a lot are released into the midfield and forward line. Walker, Docherty, Yarran and Simpson may spend more time outside of the backline which could mean we have a lot more potency and run. One thing is for sure, we should have more speed and run around the footy. Maybe not to the level teams like Port Adelaide have but we should be going up a notch.

I think poor users of the ball are on notice. Guys who can't kick accurately, lack penetration and vision and go boundary side when it's not on will be in trouble. Carrazzo, Curnow and Bell account for a lot of our possession at times and may be on the outer if they aren't using it. This is how it should be and how it will be if our list is going somewhere. We have a lot coming through who can kick the footy.

People questioning White have a poor understanding of the game. He's a solid defender with neat skills who rarely, if ever, gets beaten and is extremely versatile, which you have to be to play as a tall back pocket. One week he's playing on Taylor Walker, next week Goddard and next a ruckman. Height, leap, speed, agility and smarts. This is why Watson will probably not make it in this role. I think it's good that we see Jaksch in this role but I doubt he'd be ahead of White at this stage.

On Tuohy, he will not be best 22 next season on his 2014 form. Quite simply he was poor but we had no one else to play this role. Now we have a few to play this role or at least be tried in this role. Buckley you think would be a lock for the small defender position which may free Tuohy up to play more suitable roles but the pressure will be on.

Carrazzo has been a quality player for years but I can see him being under pressure. I think he could get back to playing good footy if he wasn't injured frequently. If he doesn't start hurting the opposition with his possession then he might be in trouble. Will be very interesting to see how his season pans out.

The three tall forward line will be interesting, one will be pushed up the ground, at times this has been Casboult, simply because it means he was having less shots on goal, but his mobility is an issue up around the wings and it doesn't save him well for going into the ruck. Henderson is our best suited to pushing up the ground but we want him having shots on goal. Jones I don't think will play too far from goal and Watson by the looks of it seems to play out of the square a lot though I like him up the field purely for his kicking. Finding out how to space our big men apart will be interesting.

Things are going to get interesting as well if some of our more quicker and skilful players who have played half back a lot are released into the midfield and forward line. Walker, Docherty, Yarran and Simpson may spend more time outside of the backline which could mean we have a lot more potency and run. One thing is for sure, we should have more speed and run around the footy. Maybe not to the level teams like Port Adelaide have but we should be going up a notch.

I think poor users of the ball are on notice. Guys who can't kick accurately, lack penetration and vision and go boundary side when it's not on will be in trouble. Carrazzo, Curnow and Bell account for a lot of our possession at times and may be on the outer if they aren't using it. This is how it should be and how it will be if our list is going somewhere. We have a lot coming through who can kick the footy.
I strongly agree with everything written.
Tuohy is one of our best kicks and he has proven in the past that he can be reliable in the backline, but you're right about is recent form, hopefully he can lift his game in 2015

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the 22 needs to be shuffled around now for myself anyway.
Sounds like warnock/wood may be getting a permanent game now? I think warnock will have to find away to amass more then 10 good possesions to keep his spot. And definitely think Jaksch will not start straight away.

I'm hoping Tuohy is back in full health this year, otherwise I very much doubt he will remain in the seniors for long. Also think Boekhorst and Graham will push for that 1st empty spot. Tough choosing best 22 this year, great to see.

FB Buckley Jamo White
HB Sheehan Rowe Tuohy
C Yarran Gibbs Simpson
R Kruezer Judd Murphy
HF Thomas Hendo Menzel
FF Jones Casboult Walker
INT Everitt Dochery Curnow
SUB Cripps/Graham/Whiley/Boekhorst

In 2014, we averaged 341.4 disposals per game; the lowest in the AFL.

How much more ball can we get with almost the exact same team on the park as last season? Hard choices need to be made, especially regarding this midfield.

How much more ball can we get with almost the exact same team on the park as last season? Hard choices need to be made, especially regarding this midfield.
it wont be the same midfield
Judd for the full season
Gibbs in second half form
Murphy load relieved
thomas not injured
Kreuzer back
others to step up Cripps Boekhoerst Whiley Menzel Walker? etc

Do we get the ball significantly more with full season Judd, second half form Gibbs, load relieved Murphy and uninjured Thomas?

The personnel needs to change.

These players are capable of winning enough ball. I think this largely comes down to our game plan more than ball winning ability although we will have to make significant improvements in this area. Hopefully we have more rotations to go through the middle and less reliance on too few.

Boekhorst and Whiley will slot straight in. Graham just needs an opportunity.

Some say Cripps has the makings of a player...

These players are capable of winning enough ball. I think this largely comes down to our game plan more than ball winning ability although we will have to make significant improvements in this area. Hopefully we have more rotations to go through the middle and less reliance on too few.
Getting warmer :thumbsu:

Any chance Tutt gets a starting gig? And with Kruezer being groomed as a forward, would Hendo now go back?

Can't see Hendo, Kruezer, casboult and Jones fitting into our forwardline.

I reckon anyone lacking kicking skills is definitely at risk of losing there spot. I wouldn't say curnows spot is safe now we have a guy like boekhorst being a mature age should be ready to go, tutt also possibility to start.
"Me fix it" Everitt seems capable to tag players and be effective with the ball as well
Also trying to fit these young big body mids into the team will be interesting.

I think well be very competitive with Richmond come round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back