Opinion Best 22 - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

4 goals is not a big enough impact for you?

He could maybe improve his consistency in having an impact, but to say 4 goals is not a big enough impact on a game, or he has never had an impact on a game IMO is a bit harsh !!

Bell may not be as polished as your Judds, Gibbs and Murphy's but he is a big bodied, goal kicking mid who can certainly play a role. If others are keeping Bell out of our best 22 either his form has dropped or our clubs depth has grown considerably !!
Uh what?
At no stage did I mention 4 goals, let alone say that it wasn't good enough or even that he's never made an impact.
What I was stating was that as a 23/24yo mid he needs to become a consistent contributor which at this stage, he isn't.

B: Zach Tuohy, Michael Jamison, Dylan Buckley

HB: Chris Yarran, Sam Rowe, Kade Simpson

C: Ed Curnow, Bryce Gibbs, Andrew Carrazzo

HF: Andrejs Everitt, Levi Casboult, Andrew Walker

F: Troy Menzel, Lachie Henderson, Dale Thomas

FOLL: Matthew Kreuzer, Chris Judd, Marc Murphy

INT: Sam Docherty, Tom Bell, Patrick Cripps

SUB: Blaine Boekhorst

Couldn't fit Liam Jones or Jason Tutt.....yet.
Also Simon White, stiff.

If Boekhorst and Cripps are to be used from the get go, that may just top us up with newbies to start the season given Sheehan and Docherty are more likely than not to be involved also, so:

Simpson Jamison White .............. Feel pretty confident that all three player will be in the back-line.
Docherty Rowe Sheehan.............. Starting to feel that Sheehan may just get the jump on Tuohy, but nothing to qualify that.
Yarran Gibbs Boekhorst................ Have seen nothing of Boekhorst to suggest he's an in but I think he may well be.
Walker Henderson Thomas........... All three not at peak last year for injury. Would be a dream line should they all be clear of injury.
Menzel Casboult Jones.................. Pretty good idea that all three will be involved.

Kreuzer Judd Murphy ................. Again, it would be a dream to have all three injury-free.

Curnow Everitt Cripps Carrazzo... Cripps will be worked into our team sooner than later.

It's pretty tough to not have Bell, Tuohy and Buckely in the side but at whose expense and why?
Tutt, Whiley and Graham will also have claims for round 1.

I think jaksch and White are fighting over the same spot. Jaksch at 196cm v White at 190cm . I think selection may depend on match ups.
I used to think Walker to the forward line made sense, but now I am not sure . His strength is also his weakness He is not accountable enough flying for everything- sure it creates great highlights footage, but I dont think that is what Mick wants. Also he always land poorly and is now becoming more injury prone. Maybe a wing- use his run and endurance and his aerial ability - would be a hard match up.
Dont be surprised if Touhy steps up again this year. I have heard he was playing injured in 2014.
Clem in a forward pocket if fit enough- to weave some magic.
Buckley for Simpson, simpson for Docherty, Docherty part of midfield rotations

Let me just say this, Malthouse didn't have any taggers @ the pies in 2009 and 2010 !! At most he had run with players (not had tags) who did jobs when opposition players needed to be nullified at various stages !! Everrit and Whiley can probably be our run with player when needed. If you got players who can find and use the footy very well, then why do you need a hard tagger ? You don't need to tag anyone when you have the ball in your hands more than the opposition. WE become the HUNTED !! It's nothing against Curnow at all and I'm not trying to undersell his effort and endeavour at all !! I'm just trying to explain myself !!

Let me just say this, Malthouse didn't have any taggers @ the pies in 2009 and 2010 !! At most he had run with players (not had tags) who did jobs when opposition players needed to be nullified at various stages !! Everrit and Whiley can probably be our run with player when needed. If you got players who can find and use the footy very well, then why do you need a hard tagger ? You don't need to tag anyone when you have the ball in your hands more than the opposition. WE become the HUNTED !! It's nothing against Curnow at all and I'm not trying to undersell his effort and endeavour at all !! I'm just trying to explain myself !!

Curnow will be under the microscope like everyone else fighting for spots but it's hard to see how he doesn't play round 1. I'm not sure we're ready to be a team that can out-possess others to the point where a tagger is not necessary. He has a huge fitness base, is tough as hell and if he can improve from last season on his disposal, can become a key cog in that midfield.

If not, I'm sure Whiley, Holman etc will be more than happy to take his place.

I would really, really like to see Tuohy played more forward this year. One of our best kicks, especially around goals.

Back line looking pretty solid and this could be the change he needs.

If given a good run of playing hff, I can see him kicking 30+ goals this season.

I would really, really like to see Tuohy played more forward this year. One of our best kicks, especially around goals.

Back line looking pretty solid and this could be the change he needs.

If given a good run of playing hff, I can see him kicking 30+ goals this season.
I would like to see either Tuohy or Docherty become our defensive forward this year. Mainly so Sheehan is guaranteed a run in the backline!

I expect BB to start his first game a sub, generally Mick likes to wean in debutants slowly, and make sure they aren't thrown to the wolves.

It probably isn't a popular philosophy for most around these parts, but I heartily approve of that approach, look at how Melbourne threw their kids in straight away after discarding most of their vets, you can't honestly say Watts and Trengove didn't suffer in their footy development by being thrown in the deep end so early, without any decent support (on-field leaders etc)

This is the way I'm thinking to. decision making and kicking skills will be a big factor for players getting picked. Players causing turnovers off their own boot resulting in opposition goals wont be tolerated. Curnow, Carrazzo, Bell, Armfield, Graham and Ellard all have some competition now which is a great thing.

Whiley, Cripps, Boekhorst, Walsh, Rainbow, Tutt, Smith and Holman may not start straight away but if where losing games i think the tough decisions will be made.

Our 22 is so hard to pick because we have turned over so many players.

If Boekhorst and Cripps are to be used from the get go, that may just top us up with newbies to start the season given Sheehan and Docherty are more likely than not to be involved also, so:

Simpson Jamison White .............. Feel pretty confident that all three player will be in the back-line.
Docherty Rowe Sheehan.............. Starting to feel that Sheehan may just get the jump on Tuohy, but nothing to qualify that.
Yarran Gibbs Boekhorst................ Have seen nothing of Boekhorst to suggest he's an in but I think he may well be.
Walker Henderson Thomas........... All three not at peak last year for injury. Would be a dream line should they all be clear of injury.
Menzel Casboult Jones.................. Pretty good idea that all three will be involved.

Kreuzer Judd Murphy ................. Again, it would be a dream to have all three injury-free.

Curnow Everitt Cripps Carrazzo... Cripps will be worked into our team sooner than later.

It's pretty tough to not have Bell, Tuohy and Buckely in the side but at whose expense and why?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teams are looking good! We should be able to have 5-6 injuries and unless it's one of Henderson, kreuzer, Jamo, murph or Gibbs we will still be at to field a string side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B: Zach Tuohy, Michael Jamison, Dylan Buckley

HB: Chris Yarran, Sam Rowe, Kade Simpson

C: Ed Curnow, Bryce Gibbs, Andrew Carrazzo

HF: Andrejs Everitt, Levi Casboult, Andrew Walker

F: Troy Menzel, Lachie Henderson, Dale Thomas

FOLL: Matthew Kreuzer, Chris Judd, Marc Murphy

INT: Sam Docherty, Tom Bell, Patrick Cripps

SUB: Blaine Boekhorst

Couldn't fit Liam Jones or Jason Tutt.....yet.
Also Simon White, stiff.
Nah Simon White is rightfully left out, shouldn't we playing someone younger than carrazo? I think we need some young blood in that posi? Maybe throw Whiley in there and start that development!!

Just because I'm bored I decided to come up with a best 22 to match up on the Hawthorn premiership team. Now, this may not technically be our best 22 but it is an attempt to line up like for like players wherever possible just to assess our list against the benchmark team who have the best list balance in the competition.

(This is not a matchup. It is who would play in the same positions for us compared to the Hawks lineup.)

FF: Puopolo/Tutt, Gunston/Jones, Hale/Casboult

CHF: Breust/Menzel, Roughead/Henderson, Rioli/Walker

C: Smith/Thomas, Burgoyne/Gibbs, Hill/Yarran

CHB: Suckling/Simpson, Gibson/Rowe, Hodge/Buckley

FB: Birchall/Docherty, Lake/Jamison, Stratton/Jaksch

Bench: Shiels/Whiley, Spangher/Everitt, Duryea/Tuohy, Langford/Curnow

Cheers, Harks; always enjoy your posts! A couple of bullets:

• White and Jaksch will be fighting for the same spot, but considering the latter's pre-season so far, clearly the spot is White's to lose
  • If there is any truth to the posts about Tuohy carrying an injury through 2014, I would have him ahead of Sheehan come Rd 1 (his greater experience gives him the nod, for mine). However, I would personally play Buckley ahead of both
  • I'd have Bell in the team ahead of Cripps at this stage, but the little nut will push someone out in 2015
  • I agree with your hunch about Boekhorst; he'll play Rd 1, and if not he'll debut by Rd 3 (I would have him on the bench though to start)
  • Could perhaps swap Yarran with Simmo/ Docherty; I love him down back

And from looking at the above, clearly we have competition for spots now (moreso, at least). So, of course, Mick will have picked up on this and I suspect he will embrace the opportunity to play a few mind games ahead of Rd 1 (e.g. Sheehan plays instead of Tuohy, or neither!) to hopefully further intensify that competition.

Just because I'm bored I decided to come up with a best 22 to match up on the Hawthorn premiership team. Now, this may not technically be our best 22 but it is an attempt to line up like for like players wherever possible just to assess our list against the benchmark team who have the best list balance in the competition.

(This is not a matchup. It is who would play in the same positions for us compared to the Hawks lineup.)

FF: Puopolo/Tutt, Gunston/Jones, Hale/Casboult

CHF: Breust/Menzel, Roughead/Henderson, Rioli/Walker

C: Smith/Thomas, Burgoyne/Gibbs, Hill/Yarran

CHB: Suckling/Simpson, Gibson/Rowe, Hodge/Buckley

FB: Birchall/Docherty, Lake/Jamison, Stratton/Jaksch

Bench: Shiels/Whiley, Spangher/Everitt, Duryea/Tuohy, Langford/Curnow
we are better

White Jamo Docherty (Docherty & Jamo are locks - white in front of Jaksch atm as third tall)
Tuohy Rowe Simpson (Tuohy has first dip at this position)
Thomas Gibbs Yarran (all three are locks)
Menzel Hendo Walker (all three are locks)
Casboult Jones Buckley (this could be the surprise - we need Buckleys pace and aggression as a crumbing small forward)
Kruez Murphy Judd (locks)

Everitt Whiley Carazzo Boekhurst (sub)

Found it really hard to fit 26 in to 22 but Boekhurst and Whiley have been recruited for a reason (pace and aggression) so Mick will want them in the team.

Although we don't have a heap of match-winners we are now a solid team with all players 'team oriented' (which you probably couldn't have said of Waite, McLean, Garlett and Robbo - all individuals).

Good signs when I can't find a spot for Curnow (I reckon he is an almost certain starter for round 1, I just couldn't fit him in), Sheehan, Ellard, Warnock, Watson, Tutt and Armfield. I see all of these apart from Curnow, Tutt and Sheehan as depth players who are on their last chance at Carlton...

Cripps, Graham, Jaksch, DVR, Dick, Foster & Smith along with all the rookies will be developed further in the NB's. I can see Cripps, Graham & Jacksh pushing in to the senior team after they put together a number of good games. The rest will learn their trade and hopefully be ready for a taste by mid/late 2015.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back