Opinion Best 22 - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

I think you've got the right idea Moe B that we'he been poor at using the ball for a while. But I put it down to an inability to execute under pressure more than a general skill issue. Curnow might be a poor kick but he's one of the less panicky with the ball
I agree... But he really can't kick even when not under pressure!!

Moe B, it is okay to be skeptical about his game. It is the same with me when it comes to players like Tuohy and Casboult. But I have faith that they can improve and become better.

I just think that anyone who thinks that Ed Curnow is rubbish, does nothing and should have been delisted years ago, are not seeing things correctly.
Probably this is when I can say that somebody lacks brain cells. Of course I am not saying it is you, but anyone in general.

This is his 5th year at the club and despite appearing regularly on the field each year under both Ratten and Malthouse, he is still being kept out of a lot of peoples' best 22, which deep down disappoints me. It is like no one thinks he deserves any chance he gets.

Anyway, after seeing his performance against West Coast in the NAB challenge match, why not give him a chance? Of the 18 possessions he had, 15 of those were contested, which had seen him beat his best of 14 and having the most out of any player in that match. This possibly indicates that he has worked on his offensive role over the preseason. No matter what player does it, digging into the contest and getting the ball out impresses me.

But considering that Gibbs, Murphy, Judd, Carrazzo and Thomas are slightly ahead of him, he does tend to show a little less on field when they are playing as well.

Last edited:
Going to lock in the following (No particular order and not including ruckman for obvs reasons)...

1. Andrew Walker*
2. Troy Menzel
3. Marc Murphy
4. Bryce Gibbs
5. Chris Judd
6. Kade Simpson
13. Chris Yarran
17. Sam Rowe
23. Lachlan Hendersen
39. Dale Thomas
40. Michael Jamison

That's 11 players I'd have as absolute certains.

*Injury concerns

The following would be most likelys...

9. Patrick Cripps
15. Sam Docherty
28. Tom Bell
33. Andrejs Everitt
35. Ed Curnow
41. Levi Casboult
42. Zach Tuohy
44. Andrew Carrazzo*

And the following are fighting for the final several spots...

12. Boekhurst
14. Liam Jones
18. Kristian Jaksch
21. Ciarian Sheehan
25. Nick Graham
43. Simon White

Mate, on paper, Curnow is better than the 'best' taggers in the game at the moment (Crowley, Macaffer etc). He out-does them in just about every area including disposal efficiency. What more are you after???
Without trying to sound like an ass, what about kicking efficiency?
He's great in and under handballing it out, but i do worry about his kicking!

Without trying to sound like an ass, what about kicking efficiency?
I have no idea but I would like to know as well. Footywire doesn't have those sort of stats (or if they do, I haven't been able to find them).

Another aspect is the job they do restricting their opposition player. There was something published a while back about 'The most effective taggers in the game' based on stats of the person being tagged and we had both Carrots and Curnow in the top 15-ish. I would love to know where that article is and where you can find the info.

I do like how many are enthusiastic about new recruits.

Not sure they immediately belong in a sides very best possible 22 players for game day. MM says over and over again that first years can only handle so much football in their first year, 4-5 games mostly.

Am always curious about Boekhorst being ahead of Buckley argument.

p.s. Curnow, best 22, no doubt.

Guess I'll give this ago:

White, Yarran, Jamison
Simpson, Rowe, Docherty
Carazzo, Curnow, Cripps
Thomas, Everitt, Walker*
Casboult, Menzel, Henderson
Murphy, Gibbs, Judd, Kreuzer*

With Kreuzer and Walker unlikely for round one I'd see Docherty starting forward of centre, Buckley playing off the half back flank and wood coming in as our first ruck. Can also see jaksch come in for white, if the latter struggles with form.

Three c's are all clearance Kings. not only that Carrazzo and Curnow are also apt at negating their assigned player.

Murphy, Gibbs and Judd on the outside would carve up most midfields.

Next cab off the rank:
Wood**, Buckley**, Tuohy**, Bell**, Boekhurst**,Watson, Jones, Graham, Tutt, Jaksch and Smith all chances throughout the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm bored so I'm having another go at it.

Buckley, Jamison, Tuohy
Yarran, Rowe, White
Thomas
, Judd, Simpson
Docherty, Casboult, Walker
Menzel, Henderson, Jones
R: Kreuzer RR: Gibbs RO: Murphy
INT: Curnow, Cripps, Everitt

Sub: Boekhurst

EMG: Jaksch, Sheehan, Carazzo

The bolded worry me for various reasons.

I do like how many are enthusiastic about new recruits.

Not sure they immediately belong in a sides very best possible 22 players for game day. MM says over and over again that first years can only handle so much football in their first year, 4-5 games mostly.

Am always curious about Boekhorst being ahead of Buckley argument.

p.s. Curnow, best 22, no doubt.
Boekhorst is older than Docherty. He's not your usual draftee picked up out of the TAC.

Dependant on form in the next Nab Challenge matches, based on form v West Coast,

Does Jacksh start round 1 over white?

I think yes. White was a liability

Agree Jaksch is a must for round 1 thought he looked reasonable last weekend and would slot in nicely to the back 6.

Dependant on form in the next Nab Challenge matches, based on form v West Coast,

Does Jacksh start round 1 over white?

I think yes. White was a liability
I think if Jaksch holds his form & when Jamo comes back - White's only opportunity to play rd 1 would be as a defensive forward (which he did successfully at times last year).
Can't see White playing down back if Jamo, Rowe & Jaksch are there.

IF you are giving up on White after this one practice game then maybe consider him for the role of Sub.
Has the ability to play back or forward, has a bit of mongrel about him which could unsettle an opponent and change the game a bit.

IF you are giving up on White after this one practice game then maybe consider him for the role of Sub.
Has the ability to play back or forward, has a bit of mongrel about him which could unsettle an opponent and change the game a bit.
I really like this suggestion - as long as he can also improve his tank for midfield work - should we need him in there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back