Opinion Best 22 - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Jaksch is a significantly better ball user than White. If Jaksch were to cement his spot there would only be Rowe as a below average kick in the back line.

White is a very handy footballer though, I love when he goes forward and he did a few decent jobs on Jack Darling type forwards last year. Jaksch is an actual forward though and his swingman capabilities could be a big plus for us.

As i have mentioned before, I'm a great believer in youth as much as possible. Especially seeing as we are in a "re-build stage"
I think Jacksh should start Round 1
Definitely, I've said this a few time's and I think it is time to go down this path, we've recruited well the past 2 years so no issues in that department!

As i have mentioned before, I'm a great believer in youth as much as possible. Especially seeing as we are in a "re-build stage"
I think Jacksh should start Round 1

Agreed.

If we're not going to win the flag this season (we're not), players like Jaksch should be given every chance to flourish. Sure he'll get beaten in games but he'll learn and 195cm key defenders don't grow on trees.

Agreed.

If we're not going to win the flag this season (we're not), players like Jaksch should be given every chance to flourish. Sure he'll get beaten in games but he'll learn and 195cm key defenders don't grow on trees.
This!
He will be playing on 3rd talls and should stay in the back 6 to hone his craft and develop with the rest of the 20ish year olds. It is pretty much evident already that he has the ability so the only thing holding him back is familiarity and maturity, both which come at the coal face.

Throwing Jaksch forward at times when it's warranted excites me a bit, I think he should be able to get under the guard up there, especially with other big guys around him like Henderson who is very mobile and Jones who is much the same and Casboult. Could be difficult to match up on them all.

I was really impressed by KJ vs the Eagles, especially the way the game panned out. He did not look out of his depth at all and if he keeps the form up in the next NAB games, he should get the spot in defense in round 1.

Those who are doubting Jones from now, that's cool and all but lets at least see how he does when the ball actually comes into the forward line more than twice, unlike the last game. There's plenty of time to rain crap on our own players throughout the season, we don't need to unfairly start after one practice match with the second string team in.

I still remain to be convinced about Jones. In the Intra-Club game Jones was looking to pass the ball off whenever he got it outside 40-45m rather than take the shot at goal. It really limits us to playing him from a pocket and with very average marking and erratic kicking I tend to wonder how much scoreboard pressure he can really apply on a regular basis. If I'm that 3rd tall defender then I'm looking to run off him and keep dragging him out around the 50m arc where he becomes essentially completely nullified. I just don't see that he has any real weapons where he's likely to prove more than nuisance value at best to a competent 3rd tall defender. In this regard I think that White or Everitt are my preferred 3rd tall forward.

yeh he had a good game against the eagles totally agree! but last year he was a auto selection which I felt was poor he was way out of form at times... where as this year we have depth in the back half I just feel he has to stay in the midfield to get a game, Holman an dick.irish boys are ready to step up

Do we really??? I know we've run 1AW, Simpson and Yarran out of the back half, but as good as they are in providing rebound our forward half hasn't been good enough to take advantage of their work and stats would show that because of this we get hurt more than any other team when the ball comes back the other way when it's turned over. What we have gained is versatility where players are able to play at either end or through the middle. I'd rather that we stiffened up the backline with a settled back 6 of say Docherty, Jamieson, Sheehan, Jaksch, Rowe and Tuohy. Notice that I've already delved into the Rookie vault. In reality, we only need 3 or 4 injuries where we are in a position where we potentially have to shuffle players away from their best position. Yes, you could use White or Everitt, but with 1AW injured then I'm looking for one of these two to be the 3rd tall forward or to operate as a defensive forward. I'd rather they brought Yarran up to a wing and perhaps Simmo up to half forward where their better disposal will result in more scoring assists, or preferably, direct scoreboard pressure. We'll need to kick goals from somewhere and our KPFs are only average (looking at them objectively). I also think there's a difference between a player who can play in a given position versus a player who excels in a given position. For example, Casboult can perform ruck duties when and if he's required to do so, but Sandilands excels when performing those duties.

So many of us are seeing Jaksch ahead of White.
I like Simon but to have a quality 195cm third tall in the back-line would be terrific leading into this season.
I thought Jaksch to be miles away from a round 1 start. May have to revaluate that thought.

Ahhhhhhh!...but is this thread about picking the best 22 for 2015 or picking a starting 22 for round 1??? If it's for round 1 then I need to definitely find replacements for not only Kreuzer and Walker, but also Dick and DVR who appear to be a little green at this stage. However, I think Jacksch, Whiley, Smith and Cripps are still right in contention for a spot in round 1, but I would be more than surprised if 3 of those 4 aren't in everyones best 22 by seasons end. Woods, Carrazzo, White, Tuohy and Sheehan are players I left out of my original 22 that now require reconsideration. You're not on your Pat Malone here and jumps or slumps may result in trumps or dumps from your original 22.

Jaksch is a significantly better ball user than White. If Jaksch were to cement his spot there would only be Rowe as a below average kick in the back line.
White is a very handy footballer though, I love when he goes forward and he did a few decent jobs on Jack Darling type forwards last year. Jaksch is an actual forward though and his swingman capabilities could be a big plus for us.

He's a bit of an enigma is White and after watching him against WC I can see why people here rate him. I'd much rather use him or Everitt than Jones as our 3rd tall forward as I think we'll get a more consistent output. These are only my thoughts though.

Giles? :cry:

Don't forget Rowe came to us as a forward also whilst Henderson is equally adept at both ends of the ground.

Yeah exactly we have real flexibility with our talls. I like the idea of throwing Jaksch forward at times to throw matchups out. Henderson is a genuine swingman too as he's good at either end, I'm not sure you could class Rowe as good up forward but he can provide a target and get in the right spot more often than not. Hoping Giles can come good as I think he can make it as an AFL player, on potential he can any way. Very interesting times ahead, I wouldn't mind seeing Jones trialled as a backman if he doesn't work out as I see potential there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Flexibility is great and all but I'd love for guys like Rowe and Henderson to really own their positions.
Yep you're right but I think Rowe has owned his position due to the lack of quality defenders, Henderson on the other hand has quite a few tall forwards to contend with although I believe he is our best forward, I don't think he'll be going back because of the pick up of Jacksch.. But I'd love to know where Watto Hendo Cas Jones Kreuz all play if and when fit, too top heavy and could cause a selection headache which is good but like you said, we need them all to nail down a position, a bit confusing down in the forward line or am I over complicating things?

Yep you're right but I think Rowe has owned his position due to the lack of quality defenders, Henderson on the other hand has quite a few tall forwards to contend with although I believe he is our best forward, I don't think he'll be going back because of the pick up of Jacksch.. But I'd love to know where Watto Hendo Cas Jones Kreuz all play if and when fit, too top heavy and could cause a selection headache which is good but like you said, we need them all to nail down a position, a bit confusing down in the forward line or am I over complicating things?

Kreuzer = Ruck
Casboult = CHF
Henderson = FF

Watson - depth
Jones - Third tall depending on team balance

To be perfectly honest I dislike the idea of having three tall key forwards around the 198cm mark in the forward line.

Unless you have 3 A-grade KPF's like Hawthorn it rarely works.

In an ideal situation you want your players capable of playing well in other positions but to have one position nailed down. If we get to the end of the year and we aren't talking about our need for better key forwards and backs then we will be in a pretty good place.

Ok. I'll have another stab at this.

Malthouse has publicly stated his love for White - he is definitely in - not sure where he starts but can play as the third tall forward/back - I will start him on the interchange.
Jaksch will play - he will play third tall forward/back - probably start back.
Tuohys good form means he should start.
They seem very happy with Sheehan so he will start.

So here goes;

FB Jaksch Jamo Sheehan
CHB Tuohy Rowe Simpson
Centre Yaz Gibbs Thomas
CHF Menz Caz Docherty
FF Murph Hendo Everitt
Rucks Wood Judd Curnow
I/C Cripps White Carazzo
Sub Boekhurst (he could have real impact)

• START MURPH FORWARD AND PLAY 70% FWD/30% ON BALL UNTIL HE GETS MATCH FIT.
  • WOOD IS AHEAD OF WARNOCK (AND CAN TAKE MORE THAN ONE MARK/GET OVER 10 POSSIES.
  • DOCHERTY/YAZ/SIMMO/THOMAS CAN ALL PLAY FORWARD/WING/BACK
  • Watson and Jones haven't done enough to earn the 3rd tall forward position (unless they show a bit in the next three weeks). I have put EVERITT in as our 3rd tall forward; he's 194cm and can kick a goal. If he is needed elsewhere White can replace him.
  • Carazzo, Curnow & Cripps are currently ahead of Bell (disposal/awareness hurts us), Buckley (needs to show more), Graham (still not sure he has it to make it at AFL level), Whiley (looks the goods but is injured so should start in the magoos), Armfield & Ellard (both limited/depth players)
  • I'd prefer the class of Docherty and Murph as resting/rotating mids in the forward line than playing Buckley, Tutt and Clem who could all do with extended time in the magoos.
  • Losing 2 of our top class players and having one with limited preseason could hurt us - being without Walker & Kruez and Murph being limited (if he plays he will be underdone) is not ideal, but I guess this will show us what our depth is like.

Have missed the pre season games, who of the new recruits will be locks for round 1?

Still time for things to change but at this stage I think we'll see at least 4 new faces lining up against Richmond.

My guess is that all of Jones, Tutt, Jaksch and Boekhorst will feature with Smith the only other possibility.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back