Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
Sounds like Eade might be tinkling with the teams structure.

Hard to know who is staying & going at this stage, but a bit of fun trying to guess what Rd1 2016 might look like.

B. Saad, May, McKenzie
HB. Kolo, Thompson, Harbrow
C. A.Hall, Prestia, O'Meara
HF. Bennell, Lynch, Martin
F. Howe, Wright, Day

R. Nichols, Ablett, Swallow

Int: Rischatelli, Miller, Malceski, Lonergan

Fringe: Matera, Garlett, Shaw, Russell, Schade, Boston, Hallahan, Sexton, Stanley, 2 x Rd1 draft picks.

Hard to guess how Eade will set up the fwd line if Dixon goes???

Oh my god, it is soooooo exciting putting our 4 best mids back in the side.

What is your guess?

Yeh your both right. McKenzie & Harbrow both out then ya think?

Just so used to naming Harbrow as one of our experienced players, but I guess he could be getting near his use by date?

don't forget harb's has been carrying an ankle, shoulder and elbow injury for a fair part of this year, hasn't been at his best. been used to seeing him sidestep his way around opponents with ease in previous years, not so much this year. back at full fitness i think he's definitely worth a spot in the team.

ATM I'd replace Malceski, McKenzie, Howe for Schade, Matera and Garlett. Very hard to call right now but hopefully there is a lot of competition for spots with a fully fit list. Praying Jaeger can recover from his terrible knee injury. Seeing Chris Knights have to retire doesn't fill me with confidence:(

Version 2!
No new players included. Dixon gone.

B. Saad, May, Schade
F. Garlett, Wright, Day

Int: Rischatelli, Miller, Malceski, Matera

Fringe: Brooksby, Hallahan, Lonergan, McKenzie, Shaw, Russell, Boston, Sexton, Stanley, 2 x Rd1 draft picks.

Without injuries, we actually have talented depth competing for a best 22 spot. Just lacking experienced depth I guess?

Last edited:
personally don't think we should be putting 2MP in our best 22's next year. lynchy took a good few years to reach the level where he's at now. i think we should keep developing him in the 2's and the gym. get him some match fitness and old man strength haha.

perhaps we need to look for some older experienced talls who'll get the job done either in the 2's or beside lynch and day in the forward line for a couple years until 2MP is up to afl standard.

I would choose B Matera ahead of J Garlett. I also think Matt Shaw has a potential place on the Interchange. I don't think Peter Wright is quite Top-22 level at this point (at the moment, T Nichols and Z Smith are as good as we got in competitive ruckman). 2MP's time will come, though.

I also forgot Brooksby. Mature body that could help fill that 3rd tall fwd with Lynch & Day while Wright continues to develop?

Brooksby could also share the fwd/ruck duties with Day.

Maybe Brooksby and Wright could rotate during the season while 2MP continues to develop?

Stealing from Corkie with a couple of changes in Bold

B. Saad, May, Schade
C. Garlett, Prestia, O'Meara
F. Matera, Wright, Day

Int: Rischatelli, Miller, A Hall, Lonergan

Out goes Malcheski

Read more at http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/best-22-2016.1109283/#s01KTg5dJgbG0lvx.99

Hall on the bench? - still in top 22 so splitting hairs but no way is Garlett ahead of Hall if the last month is used as a barometer

If Dicko goes and Wright is not quite ready then hopefully Day is ready to explode next year (I can dream) as the FF who can spell Nicholls in the ruck. Somehow we need to settle him down in one spot next year and see what he can do.

Glenn can be added to the fringe players as well as definitely gives us something every week in the NEAFL

This is going to change about a thousand times between now and next April but at the moment - not including draft picks/trades/free agents:

B: Third Tall, May, Saad
HB: Malceski, Thompson, KK
C: A. Hall, Prestia, Omeara
HF: Matera, Lynch, Bennell
FF: Garlett, Day, Martin
Foll: Nicholls, GAJ, Swallow
Int: Rischa, Miller, Lonergan, Harbrow

Next up - Shaw, Hallahan, McKenzie, Sexton, Russell, Wright, Brooksby, Schade, Leslie, Boston, Stanley

Third tall defender would ideally be Schade or McKenzie if he doesnt get traded and puts in the hard yards over preseason, or a Howe/Baguely trade.

I don't think Wright will be ready to play a whole season so Day gets the nod with Martin capable of playing tallish (third/fourth) tall and Brooksby to possibly swap with Garlett to add more height. Ideally it would have been great to have Dixon for one more year to take the pressure off Day and Wright, plus we could have eased wright into the team whenever Dixon was out with his ankle to give him a bigger taste of action.

That was hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B, Schade, May, Saad
HB, Kolo, Thompson, Harbrow
C, Hall, Swallow, Bennell
HF, Ablett, Wright, Martin
F, Gartlett, Lynch, Day
Foll, Nicholls, O'meara, Prestia
Int, Miller, Malceski, Rischatelli, Lemmons
Emg Hallahan, Shaw, Matera

As i'm sure everyone has already said Dixon would be starter if he doesn't choose another club

Whoa! Looks like you guys have all given up on Charlie :(

B: Schade, May, Saad
HB: Malceski, Thompson, KK
C: Hallahan, Prestia, O'Meara
HF: Miller, Lynch, Grant
FF: A. Hall, Day, Martin
Foll: Nicholls, Ablett, Swallow
Int: Rischa, Rosa, Lonergan, Garlett

Next (Alphabetically): Brooksby, Harbs, Leslie, Lemmens, McKenzie, Matera, Rd1 draft pick/s, Sexton, Shaw, Stanley, Wright

Edit - Knew I'd forgotten at least 1, adding Brooksby, he may b green but liked what I've seen.

Waving g'd bye to Charlie.

Swapped Shaw for Rosa, Bennell for Grant.

Last edited:
Lonergan and Schade - definite best 22.

Those two were BOG last night even in the shithouse conditions and BS umpiring.

For those with good memories, you'd remember how harsh I have previously been on Schade and Lonergan, but holy * have they proven me wrong - and happy I am to be!

Media rumours 2016 Best 22!??

B. M.Baguley, May, J.Kolo
HB. K.Kolo, Thompson, Saad
F. Howe, Wright, Day

Int: Rischatelli, Miller, Malceski, Lonergan

Emg: Harbrow, Schade, Matera, Garlett

Howe and JK would be good gets in the offseason.

Why wouldn't JK have re-signed with the Cats yet? Odd...

Howe and JK would be good gets in the offseason.

Why wouldn't JK have re-signed with the Cats yet? Odd...

Yeh it's interesting.

Baguley as the lock down small defender that we are currently missing.

J.Kolo as the 3rd tall rebound defender. The kid has amazing kicking efficiency. Never misses a target.

Howe as the versatile high marking fwd to give us some more fire power with Dixon gone.

I can only imagine J.Kolo has a few offers on the table to consider, hopefully one from us.

He might also be waiting to see who the likely departures & arrivals are at the Cats for the backline?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back