Time for another crack.

B. Saad, May, Schade
HB. Kolo, Thompson, Malceski
C. Seedsman, Prestia, Swallow
HF. Howe, Lynch, Matera
F. Garlett, Day, Martin

R. Nichols, Ablett, O'Meara

Int: A.Hall, Rischatelli, Miller, Hallahan

Depth: Wright, Harbrow, Lonergan, Currie, Brooksby, McKenzie, Shaw, Russell, Boston, Sexton, Stanley, Lemmens, Cameron, Tape, Leslie, 2 x Rd1 draft picks.

Just don't know how Eade will structure the fwd line. 2MP or Day?

Howe/Lynch gives us great marking power across half forward.

Martin a bit deeper in the fwd line as he can play both as a crumber and as a lead up marking option? Kids very versatile.

Matera given the freedom to roam. Finished the season off strongly doing this.

That team looks a lot stronger than what we had this year , one thing we need though for us to be up there is Sammy Day or 2mp stepping up to take the pressure of Lynch. We really need Sammy to be a 30-40 goal a year goalkicker , not sure if he's capable though.

That team looks a lot stronger than what we had this year , one thing we need though for us to be up there is Sammy Day or 2mp stepping up to take the pressure of Lynch. We really need Sammy to be a 30-40 goal a year goalkicker , not sure if he's capable though.
Still no word on whether we've secured a goal kicking coach (or at least somehow organised something to improve goal kicking and spacing in the forward line). If we're able to secure that role in our coaching ranks and if Sammy Day gets a good pre-season into him without injury, then I'm confident he can do it. No Dixon there anymore, so Day can easily take that second forward role while Lynch moves to number 1.

Revised team. with Bennell out and Rosa in.
B. Saad, May, Schade
C. Rosa, Prestia, O'Meara
HF. A.Hall, Lynch, Martin
F. Matera, Day, Garlett

R. Nicholls, Ablett, Swallow

Int: Rischitelli, Miller, Hallahan, Harbrow
That team looks really solid, just a current key full forward and we would be looking good.

No room for Lonergan?

Don't mind this team... need a second ruckman to help out nicholls... brooksby, currie or wright off the bench (who ever earns it in the preseason). Also, I think hall has shown he is a better midfielder than forward.. god he is a terrible fwd.. o'meara might slot in at half fwd especially whilst he is finding his feet post injury. .
Mckenzie fwd is interesting, I reckon with his tools he would get 4 or 5 opportunities a game (not sure he would take them) also you would think he would be a good defensive fwd as he has been a backman most of his career.. imagine that 6,2 defensive minded, good athletically and can kick it out of the park.. opposing defences would have to man him up.. unfortunately they would probably eat him for dinner.. good to dream!

Oh edit* this was supposed to be in reply to human meatballs post up the page a bit

Revised team. with Bennell out and Rosa in.
B. Saad, May, Schade
C. Rosa, Prestia, O'Meara
HF. A.Hall, Lynch, Martin
F. Matera, Day, Garlett

R. Nicholls, Ablett, Swallow

Int: Rischitelli, Miller, Hallahan, Harbrow

That looks a pretty good team that is going to win us games this year , but whatever way you look at it Sammy needs to step up. , in the whole structure of that set up he looks a important cog.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't mind this team... need a second ruckman to help out nicholls... brooksby, currie or wright off the bench (who ever earns it in the preseason). Also, I think hall has shown he is a better midfielder than forward.. god he is a terrible fwd.. o'meara might slot in at half fwd especially whilst he is finding his feet post injury. .
Mckenzie fwd is interesting, I reckon with his tools he would get 4 or 5 opportunities a game (not sure he would take them) also you would think he would be a good defensive fwd as he has been a backman most of his career.. imagine that 6,2 defensive minded, good athletically and can kick it out of the park.. opposing defences would have to man him up.. unfortunately they would probably eat him for dinner.. good to dream!

Oh edit* this was supposed to be in reply to human meatballs post up the page a bit
Yeah i would like Hall to play mid but running out of room. He will definitely rotate through the midfield.

So Post-trade period/ pre-draft attempt

B: Saad May Schade/Lemmens
HB: KK Thompson Malceski
C: Rosa GAJ Harbrow
HF: Miller Lynch McKenzie/ Sexton
FF: Martin Day Matera
R: Nicholls Swallow Prestia
INT: O'Meara Rischa Hallahan Hall

Depth:
Back - Lemmens/Schade, Cameron, Leslie,
Midfield - Lonergan, Shaw, Stanley,
Forward - Garlett, 2MP, Boston, Russell, McKenzie/Sexton
Ruck - Currie, Brooksby
+
pick 6, pick 16, pick 29, rookies

depth is decent but not the greatest.
Also have no idea how we will work the bench. a resting ruck? 4 mids? a defender?

B: Saad May Schade/Lemmens
HB: KK Thompson Malceski
C: Rosa GAJ Harbrow
HF: Miller Lynch McKenzie/ Sexton
FF: Martin Day Matera
R: Nicholls Swallow Prestia
INT: O'Meara Rischa Hallahan Hall
This is exactly what I'd have as my best 22. Well done!

Not sure if he'll ever have the tank to play that high half forward role.
I don't think McKenzie has honestly given a s**t about his development until this point. We've seen multiple examples of players turning around their career so I'm hopeful that a little faith and effort by Cordy and Rocket in the preseason can turn him into a player who actually cares about their career.

I'm not confident by any means, but it's certainly possible. McKenzie played that role earlier in his career, didn't he? I've seen quite a few highlights of him back in our inaugral season where he'd slot a goal from 60m out or he'd mark and convert from inside 50.

I'm calling one out of left field and expecting Sexton to take a massive step this year. Electric pace and if he builds his tank. Could be massive for us.
Yep, I completely agree. I'm sure SUNS will too.

The bloke has a massive amount of talent and is a great shot on goal. Luke Breust clone, imo - except faster and with more agility.

I'm calling one out of left field and expecting Sexton to take a massive step this year. Electric pace and if he builds his tank. Could be massive for us.

Agreed. I thought it was going to be this year, and he was showing some good signs until he got injured, but next year is his year. Rocket seems to love him as well.

One thing we know for sure:

- a lot of blokes on our list have plenty of scope for improvement (since there has been so little).

The other thing we should know:
- if Aaron Hall and Matera can do it (the way both of them played the last 1/3 of the season is still mind boggling to me) then so can about 10 other blokes. Most posters had them both gooooone at the half way mark.

It would have been good to improve the depth to a greater degree this year but there's not really much we can do about it now, just have to hope Clayton makes the right picks in terms of getting players that can contribute now and do a bit of a shuffle with some role changes and we could come out alright. I don't really expect to make finals next year but think we should do well enough to show we won't devolve into a basketcase

I am a big fan of Sexton and with a bit of luck with injuries he could have a ripper of a 2016 season.

I would be interested to know who is quickest player out of Sexton or Hall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back