getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
Not bad. Personally, and it's definitely a big call at this stage, but I'd drop Danyle Pearce from the 22 (I know Ross rates him as he's never missed a game) as his disposal and clumsyness under pressure can sometimes be a liability (He can be equally brilliant, but he's the former rather than the latter more often than not, IMO) and replace him with Connor Blakley (put as sub) Yes an even bigger call. Shown a lot this pre season. Kid definitely has a big future and probably the absolute steal of the draft.

Didn't want to quote youe whole post just for a small segment but I think it's great you've got Blakely in the mix. He was on my listed of wanted players going into the 2014 draft but we decided to go for Tom Lamb when Connor was available.

Like I said i like him but it sounds like he has divided supporters so far. You want him in the 22 but other members think his fitness levels aren't up to scratch yet which is a fair call as well (possibly why you've named him as a sub). I like his hard and combative edge in the midfield and the fact that he has WAFL experience under his belt is an added bonus. I watched him play in the NAB Challenge against Sydney and he stood out for me in that game. Skills and body size wise he is ready to make an impact, probably just needs to work on his endurance.

DudleyDocker

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NE Patriots
Didn't want to quote youe whole post just for a small segment but I think it's great you've got Blakely in the mix. He was on my listed of wanted players going into the 2014 draft but we decided to go for Tom Lamb when Connor was available.

Like I said i like him but it sounds like he has divided supporters so far. You want him in the 22 but other members think his fitness levels aren't up to scratch yet which is a fair call as well (possibly why you've named him as a sub). I like his hard and combative edge in the midfield and the fact that he has WAFL experience under his belt is an added bonus. I watched him play in the NAB Challenge against Sydney and he stood out for me in that game. Skills and body size wise he is ready to make an impact, probably just needs to work on his endurance.
I think the thing with Connor is that he is competing for spots against some young guys with a couple of years in the system who will probably get the nod before him. I really rated Lamb pre-draft and was hoping we would get him for x-factor, but still happy with Blakely.

I think Lamb will play early on with you guys as he doesn't have as much talent to go past.

getgaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 30, 2010
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Miami Heat, Old Easts
I think the thing with Connor is that he is competing for spots against some young guys with a couple of years in the system who will probably get the nod before him. I really rated Lamb pre-draft and was hoping we would get him for x-factor, but still happy with Blakely.

I think Lamb will play early on with you guys as he doesn't have as much talent to go past.

Lamb will play Saturday night I presume. Looked good over the pre season

Agenfrida

Club Legend
Sep 28, 2014
Parts unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle

Ross never makes closed ended statements, but he alluded to Connor lining up in round one. I think he'll play.

Agenfrida

Club Legend
Sep 28, 2014
Parts unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
I hope you're right Agenfrida, the lad is a jet. Just not sure who we would leave out to fit him in - great problem to have.
The downside is guys Like Croz and Balla might not come up. Maybe Pearce is deemed to still be underdone (not saying he'll play Dan's role) I'm not really sure. I'm going on pure gut feel, but I reckon if he gets an opportunity early he'll grab it and end up playing the bulk of games this year (I'm sure mostly as the sub though).

beetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
B: Duffield McPharlin Sutcliffe
HB: Ibbo Johnson Spurr
C: D.Pearce Fyfe Hill
HF: Mayne Taberner Walters
FF: Sandi Pavlich Ballantyne
M: Clarke Mundy Neale

Int: Mzungu C.Pearce Barlow Crozier Sheridan DeBoer Blakely

Wow... this is really hard. I have no idea who misses out.

jmadrox

Club Legend
Nov 23, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
ok, re think of my Rd1 team, based on availability
FB: MJ, Elvis, Spurr
HB: Sutty, Mundy ,Ibbo
C: Hill, Barlow, Mz
HF: Walters, Tabernator, Clarke
FF: Balla, Pav, Mayne

Fol: Sandi, Fyfe, Lachie

Int: D.Pearce, Duffman, C.Pearce
Sub: Blakely / Croz

Bolded are what i consider locked in. I can see Sherro, Croz or DePig possibly coming in for one of the others

I think Croz will play, and Blakely just an emergency, as Croz has runs on the board, but Ross seemed keen on Blakely, so might get a gig in front of Croz... This is what i THINK, but I hope, D.Pearce is out, replaced by Croz or Sherro.

Back