Autopsy Best 22 for 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

B: Garrick Ibbotson, New Kid, Lee Spurr
HB: New Kid, New Kid, New Kid (bloody pensioners previously on this line)
C: Stephen Hill, Nathan Fyfe, Tendai Mzungu
HF: Chris Mayne, Matthew Taberner, Ryan Crowley
F: Michael Walters, New Kid, Hayden Ballantyne
R: New Kid, Michael Barlow, New Kid
INT: Nick Suban, Cameron Sutcliffe, Lachie Neale, Daniel Pearce

Ok, RTB this is what you must do this year or everyone will know that you don't develop youth.

Now, don't worry about the win loss record just get me some youth!!

Ok, RTB this is what you must do this year or everyone will know that you don't develop youth.

Um... nah

It is spelt Danyle, not. Daniel.

I was adding to your humour. I think you missed it; unless your post is a great touché.

Oh Fred now you have got me in a total spelling pickle!

Yep, I did spell it as humour but changed it after checking (perhaps you can use both versions or one is American).

Oh Fred now you have got me in a total spelling pickle!

Yep, I did spell it as humour but changed it after checking (perhaps you can use both versions or one is American).
Sorry mate. It was my humour at the substance of the post that I picked up on the spelling of Danyle's name.
I was after a cheap like but you seemingly topped me with your response.
Incidentally , I am in Hawaii ATM and they have sabotaged the Queen's English. Not humorous. ;)

This is NOT a serious best 22, I fully expect Clarke, Crowley and a Pearce or two to be starters and Ibbotson is ahead of a few named here as well, just intended as a bit of a 'what if' as the year goes on.

Walters Pavlich Ballantyne

Fyfe Taberner Crozier

Morabito Mundy Barlow

Mzungu Sandilands Neale

Hill McPharlin Johnson

Sutcliffe Dawson Spurr

Bench: Apeness, Ballard, Mayne, Duffield

Ballard gets an upgrade in a few weeks and comes in for Crowley to add an inside mid/ tagging duties.
Another preseason and Taberner should be ready for regular AFL, add in Apeness and we have plenty of forward options and enough cover to help Sandi out. Injuries/rotations means Clarke (and Griffin) still play plenty of games and we give the younger guys as much time as possible to play and learn alongside Pavlich.
If we can keep the best small forward combination in the comp playing together Mayne plays forward, back or around the ground as needed.

Anybody think Morabito is likely to be in the starting squad next year?

I'm thinking no. IMO Crozier is definitely ahead of him in the pecking order and barring any injury I don't see where he fits.

Unless Ross drops Crowley there isn't a spot going in the midfield. We already struggle to fit Ibbo in our defense and i think Alex Pearce may get a few games to cover injuries. In the forward line he has to beat Crozier and Duffy for a spot.

I'm thinking no. IMO Crozier is definitely ahead of him in the pecking order and barring any injury I don't see where he fits.

Unless Ross drops Crowley there isn't a spot going in the midfield. We already struggle to fit Ibbo in our defense and i think Alex Pearce may get a few games to cover injuries. In the forward line he has to beat Crozier and Duffy for a spot.
Too early to say. If he has a really good PS he may be in with a shot. But, I do have to agree, as it stands at the moment, I don't see it.

It is a simple formula.
If Mora is looking better he will play. I think we're looking at entirely different positions though; Mora is a good chance to be coming off half back if he plays.

It is a simple formula.
If Mora is looking better he will play. I think we're looking at entirely different positions though; Mora is a good chance to be coming off half back if he plays.
I wasn't suggesting that Mora would take Croziers position. Just that Croz is the closest to breaking into the main squad on a permanent basis.

Yes half back or in the midfield would definitely be my guess. Just don't think he's next in line the way things finished up.

I wasn't suggesting that Mora would take Croziers position. Just that Croz is the closest to breaking into the main squad on a permanent basis.

Yes half back or in the midfield would definitely be my guess. Just don't think he's next in line the way things finished up.

Yeah I get that but I doubt it works that way in reality. If the next in line is a rover and we need a back flanker they will pick the best suited.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I get that but I doubt it works that way in reality. If the next in line is a rover and we need a back flanker they will pick the best suited.

Agreed. There isn't a definite sequential list but every player is competing to break into the 22.

Who do you think is standing in his way to breaking into the team?

Agreed. There isn't a definite sequential list but every player is competing to break into the 22.

Who do you think is standing in his way to breaking into the team?

We are at that stage we were last year before the injuries started piling up.
When we have a small rehab group we have genuine pressure for spots in the starting side. Those fringe players like Croz, Sherro, deBoer, Suban and perhaps now, maybe Duffy are vying for that forward spot which has now been made more difficult with Walters back. We could add Col Sylvia to that group as well when he gets to full fitness.
You would think Lachie is a sure starter now.
Morabito can be accommodated on the bench however if Duffield, Johnson, Danyle or Spurr was injured you'd have to think Mora would come straight in.

Last edited:

No idea if Morabito is gonna make it or not but I think its fair to say that it has to be this year. Maybe his best is good enough and maybe its not but it'd be great to see him fully fit and confident so he has a real chance at least.

No idea if Morabito is gonna make it or not but I think its fair to say that it has to be this year. Maybe his best is good enough and maybe its not but it'd be great to see him fully fit and confident so he has a real chance at least.
Think it'll depend on whether he can show the ability and fitness to run both ways and stick legal tackles. If he shows that they can use him in midfield rotations, as an outside runner, possibly displacing Pearce. Otherwise he'll keep waiting and picking up sub games until he can put in a blinder that gets him a starting gig.

Good time to bump this thread a little. I am going to stick my neck and say that Sheridan will have a breakout year and Blakely will be the first of the new draftees to play.

Best 22 for 2015 assuming all are fit

Spurr Dawson Johnson
Ibbotson McPharlin Sutcliffe
Hill Barlow Mzungu
Fyfe Taberner Crozier
Ballantyne Pavlich Walters

Sandilands Mundy Neale

Crowley Clarke Sheridan Mayne

This means bad luck for Duffield, DeBoer, Suban, and the Pearces. We need to inject some pace and spread into the side. Mayne would want to rediscover his 2013 form as well.

Looking ahead to the post Pav/Sandi/Luke/Johhno period 2017/18

Spurr Dawson Silvagni
Ibbotson A Pearce Sutcliffe
Hill Barlow Mzungu
Fyfe Taberner Crozier
Ballantyne Apeness Walters

Clarke Mundy Neale

Weller Hannath Sheridan Blakely

I think Hannath will turn out OK. Big blokes just need more time.
Morabito I think will struggle to be the same player after 3 knee recos much as I hate to say it.

Good time to bump this thread a little. I am going to stick my neck and say that Sheridan will have a breakout year and Blakely will be the first of the new draftees to play.

Best 22 for 2015 assuming all are fit

Spurr Dawson Johnson
Ibbotson McPharlin Sutcliffe
Hill Barlow Mzungu
Fyfe Taberner Crozier
Ballantyne Pavlich Walters

Sandilands Mundy Neale

Crowley Clarke Sheridan Mayne

This means bad luck for Duffield, DeBoer, Suban, and the Pearces. We need to inject some pace and spread into the side. Mayne would want to rediscover his 2013 form as well.

Looking ahead to the post Pav/Sandi/Luke/Johhno period 2017/18

Spurr Dawson Silvagni
Ibbotson A Pearce Sutcliffe
Hill Barlow Mzungu
Fyfe Taberner Crozier
Ballantyne Apeness Walters

Clarke Mundy Neale

Weller Hannath Sheridan Blakely

I think Hannath will turn out OK. Big blokes just need more time.
Morabito I think will struggle to be the same player after 3 knee recos much as I hate to say it.

Damn, that means Danyle Pearce doesn't get to play his 50 th consecutive game for Fremantle. 50 from a possible 50 . Imagine how many he would have played if Ross really rated him.

I'm going even more rad. Here is mine

Duffield Dawson Sutcliffe

Johnson McPharlin Ibbotson

Weller Fyfe Hill

Crozier Apeness Walters

Ballantyne Pav Duffy

(Ruck) Sandi, Mundy, Neale

(Int) Barlow, Mzungu, Clarke (Sub) Morabito

Emg Spurr, Pearced, Mayne, Blakely

Depth - Taberner, Suban, DeBoer, Griffin, Sheridan, Crowley, Silvagni, Grey, Clancee, A Pearce

Yes I've left out Crowley, Dan Pearce and Mayne and I have Mora as sub in front of them.
Taberner I can't fit in but that depends on Apeness having a cracker pre-season and being ready round 1.
Weller I see as being able to do what Dan Pearce does but having a cooler head and more considered disposal inside 50.
Clarke could be left out to fit one of these guys in if Apeness proves capable of giving a chop out in the ruck for Sandi.
I've given Duffy the nod in front of Mayne because he looks capable of hitting the scoreboard. Ditto Crozier.
Can't fit Silvagni or A Pearce in so we have 2 depth tall defenders even without Smith.
I'm not playing a dedicated tagger, Mzungu can do run with roles and we have an extra attacking player.

I don't expect the team to line up like this its just one permutation of how we might field a more attacking side with our solid experienced defence.

Edit - and yes Fred, I left out Dan Pearce. I rate him but we can do better in his role. Weller is his replacement.

Weller Fyfe Hill

Crozier Apeness Walters

Ballantyne Pav Duffy

Depth - Taberner, Suban, DeBoer, Griffin, Sheridan, Crowley, Silvagni, Grey, Clancee, A Pearce

Yes I've left out Crowley, Dan Pearce and Mayne and I have Mora as sub in front of them.
Taberner I can't fit in but that depends on Apeness having a cracker pre-season and being ready round 1.
Weller I see as being able to do what Dan Pearce does but having a cooler head and more considered disposal inside 50.
Clarke could be left out to fit one of these guys in if Apeness proves capable of giving a chop out in the ruck for Sandi.
I've given Duffy the nod in front of Mayne because he looks capable of hitting the scoreboard. Ditto Crozier.
Can't fit Silvagni or A Pearce in so we have 2 depth tall defenders even without Smith.
I'm not playing a dedicated tagger, Mzungu can do run with roles and we have an extra attacking player.

I don't expect the team to line up like this its just one permutation of how we might field a more attacking side with our solid experienced defence.

Edit - and yes Fred, I left out Dan Pearce. I rate him but we can do better in his role. Weller is his replacement.

If someone comes along and gets selected ahead of Danyle because they are better, then I say good; That is progress.
If Weller or Blakely prove to be better than our Fastest player who leads our I50's count, the club will have done beautifully.
I say if those players get a game it will be ahead of others, before DPearce.

Great read E Shed. Raises lots of questions which is great. The main controversies for me are;

Morabito; really difficult to make a call for his inclusion. I am still excited about him coming back.

Weller ahead of D Pearce and Sheridan. In the end he should play sooner rather than later. But Sheridan has 3 years on him, and Pearce is apparently ensconced.

Mayne. Someone needs to make way for a genuine KPF and he seems an obvious candidate. I would much prefer him to stay and his focus to shift to impacting the scoreboard.

Weller Fyfe Hill

Crozier Apeness Walters

Ballantyne Pav Duffy

I think you've looked to the future and have nailed it. Let's face it, we were beaten by a younger and faster side in the finals, and it might be time to slightly transition our team. As everyone who has been watching for the past 2 years knows, Danyle Pearce will be Danyle Pearce. He will have his moments of brilliance, but he will also f##k up quite regularly. If the new kid is fast and silky smooth then why not throw him in the deep end. Only thing is I'd leave Clarke out completely and let Apeness be the second ruck. I'd throw Hilly on a half back flank, and would keep Mayne on the bench, to run on the field with a look of fire and brimstone.

Looks like Suban MDB and Pearce (one but maybe/hopefully two) are done. Doubts on Duffy and Mora. Pav, McP, Creepy, Duffman, to retire end of 2015...game1 off the 2016 season will be interesting.

Nah, Morabito will be (rightfully) kept around for a while. Still has something to bring. I love how people are pissing on our own in this regard. ******* hell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back