FB: T Lonergan, H Taylor, J Rivers
HB: A Mackie, C Guthrie, C Enright
M: J Bartel, J Caddy, J Kelly
HF: S Kersten, T Varcoe, A Christensen
FF: T Hawkins, N Vardy, S Motlop

Foll: D Simpson, H McIntosh, J Selwood
Int: S Johnson, M Duncan, M Stokes, G Horlin-Smith

*Positions aren't quite correct

I went back to see if I'd posted a team in this thread. And I did in November.
Wow, it's a long, long way off.
And a long way from being possible.

FB: Mackie, Rivers, Brown,
HB: Thurlow, Taylor, Enright

C: Murdoch, Caddy, Guthrie

HF: Johnson, Vardy, Stokes
FF: Christensen, Hawkins, Motlop
R: Simpson, Selwood, Duncan

I/C: Varcoe, Kelly, Bartel, Blicavs
EMG: Lonergan, Horlin-Smith, T.Hunt, Kersten

To be fair, you would have been near the mark if not for injury. There's always going to be disagreements about individual players, but in November that's not an unreasonable. A few of us had left out Lonergan after a less than stellar finals series, and we all thought Brown would be developed as a defender until the reports came out of him training well as a forward.

Aside from Vardy, it could still come to fruition later in the year. Although Lonergan is obviously a certainty now and so most likely is Horlin-Smith.

Is anyone else once again questioning Travis Varcoe's position? I just don't feel like he's contributing a great deal.
I know I'm going to incite some passionate Varcoe defenders, I just don't see him adding a great deal to the side right now.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Is anyone else once again questioning Travis Varcoe's position? I just don't feel like he's contributing a great deal.
I know I'm going to incite some passionate Varcoe defenders, I just don't see him adding a great deal to the side right now.

I think like most things we've just given up on it. It's never going to change and he's never going to be dropped.

I think like most things we've just given up on it. It's never going to change and he's never going to be dropped.
I know, but it's frustrating. He's bringing nothing to the table, especially once Motlop is back on song, Christensen and Caddy in the side. I struggle to fit him in, and it will probably be someone like Taylor Hunt losing his place.

I know, but it's frustrating. He's bringing nothing to the table, especially once Motlop is back on song, Christensen and Caddy in the side. I struggle to fit him in, and it will probably be someone like Taylor Hunt losing his place.

Yep, or Horlin-Smith, or someone else. Won't be one of the cool kids though, and Varcoe is definitely in that treehouse.

B: Rivers Lonergan Kelly
HB: Enright Taylor Mackie
C: Duncan Stokes Guthrie
HF: Motlop McIntosh Johnson
F: Stokes Hawkins Murdoch
1R: Simpson Selwood Christensen
Int. Bartel, Horlin-Smith, Caddy SUB: Blicavs

Yep, or Horlin-Smith, or someone else. Won't be one of the cool kids though, and Varcoe is definitely in that treehouse.
If GHS gets dropped and Varcoe keeps his place I'd be very close to a membership microwaving meltdown, I'd also absolutely encourage George to seek a trade elsewhere. He hasn't put a foot wrong this year, is picking up the slack while some more senior players are injured, and is proving a vocal group of haters wrong. He'll hopefully be this years 2013 Guthrie, an unfashionable player who becomes absolutely indispensable.

The Geelong Football Club don't want to upset those here on Big Footy who are supporting Trave with their hard earned in an effort to keep the Wolves from his door.Umm might just find out who's got a sense of humor:D

I'd also absolutely encourage George to seek a trade elsewhere. He hasn't put a foot wrong this year, .

Not sure who the GH-S haters are, and I am certainly not one of them. Looks like he will develop into a good player to me…. He has more blued-eyed boy followers than haters though from what I can see, and clearly you're one of them..

He was awful against the Tigers IMO, and I haven't seen anyone say so. Probably because the usual pack of denigrators on this Board are too focussed on the usual suspects to objectively notice the performance of some others.

Mind you, he wasn't Robinson Crusoe against the Tigers.

The Geelong Football Club don't want to upset those here on Big Footy who are supporting Trave with their hard earned in an effort to keep the Wolves from his door.Umm might just find out who's got a sense of humor:D

Sorry YPO…I have to take you up on this.,,,,and no I haven't lost my sense of humor. :p

The financial support through this subscription is given not because of Travis Varcoe…….in fact it has nothing to do with supporting Travis Varcoe financially..……he doesn't need my $50-100 to get him through to next weekend!! I wouldn't give a damn who the nominated player was, I would still offer the support because being based so far away from Australia it is another way I can offer my support to the Geelong Football Club.

I am tired of seeing this financial subscription to the GFC through our BF membership being used by some Varcoe haters as some sort of justification to attack the credibility of those who generally support TV's contribution to the team and see more in his performances than a bunch of Fantasy footy stats.

In saying that, I am happy to say he was less than ordinary against the Tigers. With Mots and Bundy both knocking on the door soon, the pressure will be on players, who play similar roles, to perform….

Personally, not knowing what the MC are asking individual players to do game by game, I am happy to leave it to them to make those decisions. If TV is not meeting the KPI's the MC set, then "off with his head"…….no complaint from me.

BTW……..The attacks on Blicavs performance last week when he came on as sub were borne from blind ignorance….in some cases I couldn't believe what i was reading.

FB: T Lonergan, H Taylor, J Rivers
HB: A Mackie, C Guthrie, C Enright
M: J Bartel, J Caddy, J Kelly
HF: S Kersten, T Varcoe, A Christensen
FF: T Hawkins, N Vardy, S Motlop

Foll: D Simpson, H McIntosh, J Selwood
Int: S Johnson, M Duncan, M Stokes, G Horlin-Smith

*Positions aren't quite correct

Do you mean 2015?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure who the GH-S haters are, and I am certainly not one of them. Looks like he will develop into a good player to me…. He has more blued-eyed boy followers than haters though from what I can see, and clearly you're one of them..

He was awful against the Tigers IMO, and I haven't seen anyone say so. Probably because the usual pack of denigrators on this Board are too focussed on the usual suspects to objectively notice the performance of some others.

Mind you, he wasn't Robinson Crusoe against the Tigers.
This. And was poor against port. Has turned
It over Consistently. Still a long way off
Being a consistent afl footballer. He
May get there, but the fanboys constantly telling us he's the next Paul couch are deluded at this stage.

Now:

Hb. Rivers. Lonergan. Enright
Hb. Kelly. Taylor. Mackie
C. Stokes. Selwood. Duncan
Hf. Bartel. Mcintosh. Motlop
Ff. Murdoch. Hawkins. Varcoe
Fol. Simpson. Guthrie. SJ
Int. hunt. HS. Blicavs. Thurlow

Grand final side/end of year:

In: caddy, bundy, kersten
Out: blicavs, hunt, thurlow

Fb. Rivers. Lonergan. Enright
Hb. Kelly. Taylor. Mackie
C. Stokes. Selwood. Guthrie
Hf. Duncan. Kersten. Motlop
Ff. Murdoch. Hawkins. Bartel
Fol. Mcintosh. Caddy. SJ
Int. Simpson. Christensen. HS. Varcoe

2015:

In: vardy, smedts
Out. Enright (ret), varcoe

Fb. Rivers. Lonergan. Smedts
Hb. Kelly. Taylor. Mackie.
C. Motlop. Selwood. Guthrie
HF. Duncan. Vardy. Kersten
FF. Murdoch. Hawkins. Bartel
Fol. Mcintosh. Caddy. SJ
Int. Simpson. Christensen. Stokes. HS

2016:

In: dangerfield, kolo, thurlow, Lang

Out: Kelly (ret), lonergan (ret)

[lang, thurlow, Jansen, hunt all on the cusp]

Last edited:
Sorry YPO…I have to take you up on this.,,,,and no I haven't lost my sense of humor. :p

The financial support through this subscription is given not because of Travis Varcoe…….in fact it has nothing to do with supporting Travis Varcoe financially..……he doesn't need my $50-100 to get him through to next weekend!! I wouldn't give a damn who the nominated player was, I would still offer the support because being based so far away from Australia it is another way I can offer my support to the Geelong Football Club.

I am tired of seeing this financial subscription to the GFC through our BF membership being used by some Varcoe haters as some sort of justification to attack the credibility of those who generally support TV's contribution to the team and see more in his performances than a bunch of Fantasy footy stats.

In saying that, I am happy to say he was less than ordinary against the Tigers. With Mots and Bundy both knocking on the door soon, the pressure will be on players, who play similar roles, to perform….

Personally, not knowing what the MC are asking individual players to do game by game, I am happy to leave it to them to make those decisions. If TV is not meeting the KPI's the MC set, then "off with his head"…….no complaint from me.

BTW……..The attacks on Blicavs performance last week when he came on as sub were borne from blind ignorance….in some cases I couldn't believe what i was reading.
There's are just some really ignorant posters here David. Your point on tv is spot on. We don't know what his role is specifically. The knock on him here is he doesn't get it enough. Yet when he does he uses it well.
His pressure never quits- he works his ass off. So you hVe a player that covers kms and generally uses the ball well. And creates pressure flat out- getting hated on- yet those
Same haters pump up the tyres of a kid they've never seen in Kersten- (and he may end up being a player but he's never played a Senior game so How Would You Actually know!) or GHS who has been good in patches and poor as well.

Makes me laugh.

If GHS gets dropped and Varcoe keeps his place I'd be very close to a membership microwaving meltdown, I'd also absolutely encourage George to seek a trade elsewhere. He hasn't put a foot wrong this year, is picking up the slack while some more senior players are injured, and is proving a vocal group of haters wrong. He'll hopefully be this years 2013 Guthrie, an unfashionable player who becomes absolutely indispensable.

Show me this 'vocal group of haters'.

Agree with you on Varcoe though. And agree with Partridge too, he simply is not going to get dropped. Ever, it would seem.

There's are just some really ignorant posters here David. Your point on tv is spot on. We don't know what his role is specifically. The knock on him here is he doesn't get it enough. Yet when he does he uses it well.
His pressure never quits- he works his ass off. So you hVe a player that covers kms and generally uses the ball well. And creates pressure flat out- getting hated on- yet those
Same haters pump up the tyres of a kid they've never seen in Kersten- (and he may end up being a player but he's never played a Senior game so How Would You Actually know!) or GHS who has been good in patches and poor as well.

Makes me laugh.

The first bolded part you say as if using it well makes up for the fact that he doesn't use it much. An outside player using it well is simply par for the course - not any kind of absolution or redeeming feature.

People are hard on Varcoe because he's actually played 120 games and it appears the MC regard him as undroppable. Generally a forward half player that fits that description finds more of the ball and/or kicks more goals. You're way off the mark if you're using a player like GHS to suggest we're hypocrites (if that is indeed what you're doing). He's only played 17 games.

I'm suggesting that there's a lot more to footy than getting the ball. Alex Jesalenko once said something that for a poor coach made a lot of sense. Add up in minutes the amount of time you actually have the ball I your hands in a game. If
You're lucky it'll be 90 seconds to maybe 120 seconds if you're really on fire. So basically including time on, you're out there on that grass for about 120 minutes. If you play real well you might have the ball in your hands for between 1 to 2
Minutes of that time. Total. So as much as the simpletons think FOOTYS about having it 30+ times - it's not. It's about maximising those 90 Seconds- not wasting them. But even more importantly, it's FOOTYS about the 118 minutes yoU DONT have the ball. It's the vast percentage of what you do out there/
TV is a very good player. If he wasn't he wouldn't continue to
Get picked. It's not like he gets 6 possessions. He gets it and uses it well, and he is very very good at the118 Minutes. Our match committee and coaching staff know this. Just sad that some Supporters don't and that they have this pathetic need to have a whipping boy.

And plenty of outside players have been poor users - silly comment. TV's finishing is excellent as is his decision making. He is fast of
Mind and his skills match his footy brain. Some of you guys need to watch him through uncoloured glasses.

And plenty of outside players have been poor users - silly comment. TV's finishing is excellent as is his decision making. He is fast of
Mind and his skills match his footy brain. Some of you guys need to watch him through uncoloured glasses.

It's not a poor comment because essentially it's true. Using it well is not a redeeming feature for a player of Varcoe's type. It's exactly what makes him that type - i.e. it's par for the course.

I'm suggesting that there's a lot more to footy than getting the ball. Alex Jesalenko once said something that for a poor coach made a lot of sense. Add up in minutes the amount of time you actually have the ball I your hands in a game. If
You're lucky it'll be 90 seconds to maybe 120 seconds if you're really on fire. So basically including time on, you're out there on that grass for about 120 minutes. If you play real well you might have the ball in your hands for between 1 to 2
Minutes of that time. Total. So as much as the simpletons think FOOTYS about having it 30+ times - it's not. It's about maximising those 90 Seconds- not wasting them. But even more importantly, it's FOOTYS about the 118 minutes yoU DONT have the ball. It's the vast percentage of what you do out there/
TV is a very good player. If he wasn't he wouldn't continue to
Get picked. It's not like he gets 6 possessions. He gets it and uses it well, and he is very very good at the118 Minutes. Our match committee and coaching staff know this. Just sad that some Supporters don't and that they have this pathetic need to have a whipping boy.

To me it seems that in defending Varcoe for not getting much of it, and not kicking a lot of goals, those who cite his work off the ball are overrating his efforts. It's not like he's averaging 7 or 8 tackles a game. I do actually believe he's doing a reasonable defensive job, averaging 5 or so, which is not to be sneezed at, however IMO this doesn't entirely absolve him with respect to other areas of his game which are clearly deficient, which is basically what you and his many defenders are saying. He kicks less than one goal a game and has zero goal assists this year, for example. With players like Motlop and Bundy out, and Stevie in the middle, I personally believe that someone like Varcoe, who is a senior player theoretically in his peak zone, should be contributing more.

Agree to disagree Claude. Again you don't know what his specific role is. So
To point at his lack of assists- that may not be what he is actually Selected To do. That said, I totally Respect you as a poster- a bit the same as partridge- I just see things differently- and that's ok. At this point the match committee appear to Share my opinion - so it means I get to Watch TV play afl as opposed to VFL. If at some point they get into your side of the fence I'll have to go watch him in the 2's.

Show me this 'vocal group of haters'.

Agree with you on Varcoe though. And agree with Partridge too, he simply is not going to get dropped. Ever, it would seem.
Go back to some pre season threads, or end of last year threads. He was depth or trade bait according to a lot of posters.

Agree to disagree Claude. Again you don't know what his specific role is. So
To point at his lack of assists- that may not be what he is actually Selected To do. That said, I totally Respect you as a poster- a bit the same as partridge- I just see things differently- and that's ok. At this point the match committee appear to Share my opinion - so it means I get to Watch TV play afl as opposed to VFL. If at some point they get into your side of the fence I'll have to go watch him in the 2's.

Fair enough CMIA. You're right, I don't know what his role is. I do however, speaking generally here, stop short of believing the MC are infallible. I.e. while they obviously know more than I do, I don't assume that some gripe I have is inherently invalid or misguided simply because outwardly the MC don't seem to share it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back