Best 22 in 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Might actually have a crack at this now, firstly with Griffen pushing one of the mids out have decided to move
a mid to backline in the place of Hampton because they deserve to stay in the team more then he does at this stage.
The mid i'm moving back is Shiel but it could be anyone of a number of mids who could take Hamptons place and would
simply come down to match ups, so the onus is on Hampton to steps things up if he wants to hold his spot.

And the only other real change is Pickett as the sub as I just really like him in that role given his extra leg speed against tiring players,
but realistically I don't expect to see him get to many games.

Haynes, Patfull, Shaw
Shiel, Davis, Kennedy
Scully, Treloar, Whitfield
Cogs, Cameron, Tomlinson
WHE, Stewart, Smith
Mumford, Griffen, Ward
I/C: Kelly, Greene, Palmer, Pickett

Might actually have a crack at this now, firstly with Griffen pushing one of the mids out have decided to move
a mid to backline in the place of Hampton because they deserve to stay in the team more then he does at this stage.
The mid i'm moving back is Shiel but it could be anyone of a number of mids who could take Hamptons place and would
simply come down to match ups, so the onus is on Hampton to steps things up if he wants to hold his spot.

And the only other real change is Pickett as the sub as I just really like him in that role given his extra leg speed against tiring players,
but realistically I don't expect to see him get to many games.

Haynes, Patfull, Shaw
Shiel, Davis, Kennedy
Scully, Treloar, Whitfield
Cogs, Cameron, Tomlinson
WHE, Stewart, Smith
Mumford, Griffen, Ward
I/C: Kelly, Greene, Palmer, Pickett

I like this team - a very solid backline and a midfield full of stars. Having just viewed Pickett's highlight reel I see why you have him in the side. Looks a beauty.

My pick for our best 22 for Round 1 v St Kilda. Assuming no NEW injuries and based on what i learned from season 2014 selections and the 2 trades

FB Kennedy Davis Patfull
HB Shaw Haynes Hampton
C Scully Treloar Whitfield
HF Kelly Tomlinson Smith
FF Palmer Cameron WHE
Mumford Ward Griffen
I/C Shiel Greene Cognilio Stewart

being 5 months till the season starts a lot can happen between now and then
Hampton could be swapped with Bugg, Plowman or Buntine (even williams or wilson are a chance with a impressive preseason)
Stewart could be swapped for McCarthy, Lamb (if match ups/conditions suit) or one of the rucks Phillips/Lobb

And being that we used 44 players season 2014 i would hope this coming season we can keep it to under 40 and the injuries to defenders are not as bad (touch wood).

My pick for our best 22 for Round 1 v St Kilda. Assuming no NEW injuries and based on what i learned from season 2014 selections and the 2 trades

FB Kennedy Davis Patfull
HB Shaw Haynes Hampton
C Scully Treloar Whitfield
HF Kelly Tomlinson Smith
FF Palmer Cameron WHE
Mumford Ward Griffen
I/C Shiel Greene Cognilio Stewart

being 5 months till the season starts a lot can happen between now and then
Hampton could be swapped with Bugg, Plowman or Buntine (even williams or wilson are a chance with a impressive preseason)
Stewart could be swapped for McCarthy, Lamb (if match ups/conditions suit) or one of the rucks Phillips/Lobb

And being that we used 44 players season 2014 i would hope this coming season we can keep it to under 40 and the injuries to defenders are not as bad (touch wood).

This is pretty much the team I'd like to start with as it stands also..

Is anyone else excited about Jarrod Pickett ? I think he is going to be a star. And for some reason I think he will play in 2015. However it's a shame it may be at the expense of Lamb or Addisson. Those guys must be spewing coming across as experienced players and I can't see them getting out of the 2's

Edit : Apart from Andre :) read that after my post

Heres our best 22 according to afl.com with the main supprises being Kennedy replaced by Plowman and WHE only being the sub with
Pickett starting, also looks a tall short

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-12-06/your-clubs-best-22?utm_medium=RSS
Greater Western Sydney
B: Heath Shaw, Joel Patfull, Nick Haynes
HB: Lachie Plowman, Phil Davis, Curtly Hampton
C: Adam Treloar, Ryan Griffen, Tom Scully
HF: Jarrod Pickett, Jeremy Cameron, Lachie Whitfield
F: Devon Smith, Adam Tomlinson, Dylan Shiel
R: Shane Mumford, Toby Greene, Callan Ward
I/C: Stephen Coniglio, Rhys Palmer, Josh Kelly
Sub: Will Hoskin-Elliott

New players: Jarrod Pickett (No .4, 2014 draft), Paul Ahern (No .7, 2014 draft), Ryan Griffen (Western Bulldogs), Joel Patfull (Brisbane Lions)
Unavailable: Jonathon Patton (knee), Tim Mohr (knee)
Comment: Knee reconstructions for bookends Jonathon Patton and Tim Mohr will rob the Giants of height early next season and it is unclear when the duo will be back in action. However, Joel Patfull's experience down back will help offset Mohr's absence and Adam Tomlinson should relish the opportunity in attack. Without doubt, the Giants' strength is their midfield and a centreline of Adam Treloar, Ryan Griffen and Tom Scully looks a potent combination. Throw Rhys Palmer, Callan Ward, Stephen Coniglio, Josh Kelly, Toby Greene and Lachie Whitfield into the mix and it's plain to see why rivals fear what GWS' on-ball brigade might become. Silky draftee Jarrod Pickett could slot in up forward. Fellow draftee Caleb Marchbank might need time to develop, but the key defender will soon force his way into the best 22. - Travis King

People will keep under estimating Kennedy. He either replaces WTF 1 or 2 depending on matchups.

WHE is ahead of either Kelly or Pickett. So, probably Kelly in the vest for mine.

I would be tempted to put Lobb in for Pickett if that extra tall and ruck support is needed.

Going to be a desperate pre-season for many wanting to press their claims. Hoping this supercharges our competitiveness next year.

People will keep under estimating Kennedy. He either replaces WTF 1 or 2 depending on matchups.

WHE is ahead of either Kelly or Pickett. So, probably Kelly in the vest for mine.

I would be tempted to put Lobb in for Pickett if that extra tall and ruck support is needed.

Going to be a desperate pre-season for many wanting to press their claims. Hoping this supercharges our competitiveness next year.

I assume Hampton is WTF 1, I would have to guess Plowman is WTF 2 - is that right?

I totally agree that Kennedy would play before those 2. If the team has Haynes, Patful and Davis in it then I don't think that Plowman plays.

I definitely think the afl.com.au team is a tall short. The comment in afl.com.au that Tomlinson will relish the opportunity in attack reeks as if he can replace Patton as a key forward. Tomlinson kicked 8 goals in 19 games last year. Whilst that was partly due to the role he played he doesn't strike me as a natural goal kicker and he is more of a high half forward. He has a role in the team but I would hate to see pressure put on him to be something he isn't.

I also think that Rhys Palmer would be starting 18 any day of the week as a defensive forward and you would more likely see Sheil on starting interchange.

Anybody that doesn't have WHE as a starter and one of the first blokes picked has no idea about footy let alone the Giants

McCarthy will be playing next year up forward as well, Kennedy is a starter too. I'd probably go with Hampton or Kelly as a sub at this stage but Kelly will force his way in as he is a class act.

Anybody that doesn't have WHE as a starter and one of the first blokes picked has no idea about footy let alone the Giants

McCarthy will be playing next year up forward as well, Kennedy is a starter too. I'd probably go with Hampton or Kelly as a sub at this stage but Kelly will force his way in as he is a class act.

Outside Hawthorn, Sydney and maybe Gold Coast there would be few clubs with our depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Outside Hawthorn, Sydney and maybe Gold Coast there would be few clubs with our depth.
Our depth is in classy young players, not battle hardened just yet. A bad run of injuries will still hurt us more than Hawks. If we keep getting a few games into our fringe players like Williams, Wilson, Corr, and start blooding the likes of Barrett and Steele, then our depth will start to match the elite teams. BTW, not sure that Swanies have that much depth?

Our depth is in classy young players, not battle hardened just yet. A bad run of injuries will still hurt us more than Hawks. If we keep getting a few games into our fringe players like Williams, Wilson, Corr, and start blooding the likes of Barrett and Steele, then our depth will start to match the elite teams. BTW, not sure that Swanies have that much depth?

Mate when blokes like Mitchell and Jones can't get into the emergencies you've got some depth! Saying that they are not as strong as they used to be.

The one bloke we can't afford to lose is Mumford. Pretty confident we can now cover most other spots although I still think we need another 195cm defender to cover Davis.

Mate when blokes like Mitchell and Jones can't get into the emergencies you've got some depth! Saying that they are not as strong as they used to be.

The one bloke we can't afford to lose is Mumford. Pretty confident we can now cover most other spots although I still think we need another 195cm defender to cover Davis.
I'm just saying compared to some teams, and where they used to be, Swanies aren't as deep as they were. Definely agree they remain strong, and mid field depth is no real issue for them.

Mumford will remain our barometer this next season for sure. Corr is 195cm, so expect that he will see some game time again 2015.

Buntine has to be in our line-up for Round 1.

For mine Haynes, Davis, Shaw, Kennedy & Patfull are all pretty much locks at this stage, its just that last spot in the back 6 that is very much up for grabs and if Buntine has an outstanding preseason his every chance to claim it.

For mine Haynes, Davis, Shaw, Kennedy & Patfull are all pretty much locks at this stage, its just that last spot in the back 6 that is very much up for grabs and if Buntine has an outstanding preseason his every chance to claim it.
Buntine was very impressive towards the end of 2014. I'm expecting 2015 to be his breakout year.

I reckon McCarthy and Kennedy would be in the team as well maybe a chop out ruck for Mumford either lobb Stewart if healthy or Phillips

Buntine was very impressive towards the end of 2014. I'm expecting 2015 to be his breakout year.

Just back at work from watching the guys train for an hour or so today, in the practice match Buntine was the defensive anchor, Heath and Phil were training separately..

Is anyone else excited about Jarrod Pickett ? I think he is going to be a star. And for some reason I think he will play in 2015. However it's a shame it may be at the expense of Lamb or Addisson. Those guys must be spewing coming across as experienced players and I can't see them getting out of the 2's

Edit : Apart from Andre :) read that after my post
Lamb is in our best 22. Addison was purely a cheap big body for the lost in 2014, proved his worth, and is now merely depth cover.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back