• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
We all laud the top ruckmen constantly from each team from the Sandilands, to Naitanuis, Ryder, Mumford etc...

Spare a thought for the rucks who generally play second fiddle but are still important to the structure of a team.

Please refrain from selecting your own team.

( I did not include every possible second ruckman because it would leave too many options and many players would not get voted for, eg; Benjamin Griffiths and Josh Jenkins

Great idea for a thread, not sure what you mean by 'second ruck' though, as some of those players are neither the type who play as a secondary ruck option (Lobbe, McEvoy, Simpson, Warnock), so do you mean it is a poll to determine who is the best 'back up' starting (number 1) ruck option?

I would argue that Lobbe and McEvoy are their teams best starting ruck options with Ryder and Hale playing the respective 'number 2 roles' with Redden and Ceglar the true 'back up' starting ruck options for each of these teams.

The ones listed are generally good backups for the 1st ruck position, but IMO pretty terrible 2nd ruckmen. Hale is the best one.

Where's the Ayce Cordy option? Poll is biased.

They're all pretty terrible options, especially when you consider Lobbe and McEvoy are both 1st rucks. I've gone Lycett because he's one of the very few up there that fit the 2nd ruck description, and is actually a pretty good player.

It really depends what you want from a second ruck. Some - such as Clarke and Stanley - prioritise ability in the ruck to ensure you lose very little out of the middle when your ruckman rests; while others - like McEvoy - are known more for their ability around the ground. Others provide ample support in both areas but aren't really elite in either. Lycett's a good example of this.

Selecting a second ruckman is as much about team balance and strategy as it is about the ability of the player, so realistically preferences are going to fluctuate wildly. Personally - I like Lycett's work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ryder, Hale, Leunberger/Martin(which ever one is the second ruck). They are my top 3 for second rucks. not one of them is a poll option.

Looking at the polll options, i'd say Josh Jenkins gets a mention even though he won't win. He would be a better choice than the first ruckmen you listed since they are "first" ruck not second.

voted for Zac Clarke, best i could find there.

Poll needs more Ayce Cordy.

Why is Rhys Stanley even a option?

Trent west and Robert Warnock aren't even second rucks. Martin and leunberger are both in front of west at Brisbane. Carlton are playing Wood ahead of Warnock, with kruezer being their number 1.

Daniel Gorridge or Tom Nicholls, depatable who is the second ruck but at least one should be in the poll.
Tom Hickey as well.

Ryder is probably Port's second ruck. And he's the best second ruck in the comp

I would say if whoever Brisbane's second ruck is.... both are first rate ruckman

Back