Vic Best and worst areas of Melbourne?

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst for mine is definitely St Albans... at a canter actually. But I havent been everywhere it has to be said.

In terms of best, your Tooraks and Brightons are the obvious ones but I really like a couple of other areas in the form of Ivanhoe, Eaglemont.

I've lived in St Albans, Moonee Ponds and Sunshine (Albion) in Melbourne. Maybe it's because I've grown up in Northen Ireland and lived in some pretty dodgy areas of Belfast but I never found them that bad. The junkies are a curse, obviously. I had one try to break in in St Albans and had a pram and bikes stolen in Moonee Ponds. The only time I was really worried was on public transport or in the area around train stations. Central Sunshine can a be a bit scary but I tend to get on well with the nutters.

I've taught in primary schools all around the western & northern suburbs. Worst places I've been in are Coolaroo, Laverton North, parts of Altona and West Sunshine.
The new suburbs in Melton Shire are totally souless - places like Caroline Spring and Hillside.

I hardly know eastern and southern Melboune at all. Hardly ever been there.

However, you're in far more danger in central Melbourne/Chapel St than in the suburbs.

I've lived in St Albans, Moonee Ponds and Sunshine (Albion) in Melbourne. Maybe it's because I've grown up in Northen Ireland and lived in some pretty dodgy areas of Belfast but I never found them that bad.

I'd much rather walk down the Falls or the Shankhill at 3AM than many, many parts of Melbourne.

The north side of Dublin can be pretty hairy, but in terms of Melbourne, as you say, you've got far more chance of getting your head kicked in on Chapel Street or in the CBD than many suburbs.

Sunshine sounds like such a nice place, but isn't.

It's funny how some places sound great, but the reality is very different. For example in America, there is a part of Baltimore called Cherry Hill. The name conjures up a nice relaxing semi-rural suburb with many cherry trees growing on the hillside that slopes gently down to the Atlantic Ocean. In reality, Cherry Hill is one of the most feared areas of Baltimore.

Sunshine sounds like such a nice place, but isn't.

It's funny how some places sound great, but the reality is very different. For example in America, there is a part of Baltimore called Cherry Hill. The name conjures up a nice relaxing semi-rural suburb with many cherry trees growing on the hillside that slopes gently down to the Atlantic Ocean. In reality, Cherry Hill is one of the most feared areas of Baltimore.

And bad in Baltimore means REALLY bad.

In Dublin Summerhill is one of the roughest housing estates on the north side.

my suburbs pretty good i always feel safe there. nothing really bad has happend so far.

I live in Chadstone as well. Top suburb, and the areas surrounding are pretty nice, although some parts of Oakleigh are pretty dodgy.

Frankston, Geelong, Doveton and Parkmore instantly spring to mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Although Oakleigh is a hole, Oakleigh South is actually pretty good. Not a insanely rich area, but has nice middle class houses. Would be more than comfortable walking to 7-11 at 4am.

Clayton, up with Springvale and Noble for mine.

Worst: Springvale..Dandenong..Noble Park

Best: Mentone/Cheltenham..East Bentleigh..Wheelers Hill
What?

I live in Chadstone as well. Top suburb, and the areas surrounding are pretty nice, although some parts of Oakleigh are pretty dodgy.
I live next to Chaddy in a little suburb called Hughesdale.

It's also hard to say Chaddy is a suburb as the shopping centre has basically taken over most of the area.

Best: Hampton, Black Rock, Brighton, Sandringham, Gardenvale

Worst: Footscray, Springvale, Noble Park, Sunshine, Spotswood, CBD

Worst for mine is definitely St Albans... at a canter actually. But I havent been everywhere it has to be said.

In terms of best, your Tooraks and Brightons are the obvious ones but I really like a couple of other areas in the form of Ivanhoe, Eaglemont.

Funny you should say that. I live there and havent had a single problem. St. Albans ain't that bad besides the occasional dodgy Asian who stares at you.

The worst would have to be Footscray and Sunshine. Its almost impossible to walk the streets of Footscray without seeing a crackhead.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back