Vic Best and worst areas of Melbourne?

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's a fun fact about Fawkner.

99.9% of its streets and therefore residents lie within the bounds of the City of Moreland.

There is a wedge of five streets (four tiny side streets running south off Mahoneys to dead ends above the Ring Road, and the south side of Mahoneys Road itself between the crossing of the Ring Road/Mahoneys Road bridge and the intersection of Mahoneys and Sydney Roads) that are in the suburb of Fawkner, yet stranded in the City of Hume with Campbellfield, Broadmeadows and so on.

It is quite bizarre.

Yeah you're right. Northern Memorial is labelled as Hadfield.

Speaking of which, train line through the middle of a cemetery, that's got to be pretty rare!!
My station for seven years was Fawkner. You can see the graves from the platforms. It is...different.

Here's a fun fact about Fawkner.

99.9% of its streets and therefore residents lie within the bounds of the City of Moreland.

There is a wedge of five streets (four tiny side streets running south off Mahoneys to dead ends above the Ring Road, and Mahoneys Road itself between the crossing of the Ring Road/Mahoneys Road bridge and the intersection of Mahoneys and Sydney Roads) that are in the suburb of Fawkner, yet stranded in the City of Hume with Campbellfield, Broadmeadows and so on.

It is quite bizarre.

My station for seven years was Fawkner. You can see the graves from the platforms. It is...different.
Lived there from the age of 5-11. Went to primary school in Fawkner too.

Lived there from the age of 5-11. Went to primary school in Fawkner too.
My mother, after a while, refused to get off there as it gave her the creeps and after dark at least, I don't especially blame her.

She'd walk from Merlynston instead.

There's plenty worse... Flemington Bridge. :eek:
Just a shithouse line full stop in terms of the facilities and what not.

I mean some of the stations like Merlynston and Jewell get very good use but only Coburg has the feeling of a station that's actually been well developed and even then, it's token compared to other places.

There's plenty worse... Flemington Bridge. :eek:

I think it may be earlier in this in this thread, but a North supporter, I can't remember who, described Flem Bridge as being designed by a rapist.

That said, it is a lot calmer than it used to be, when the Viet kids would chrome there.

For all the s**t the west cops, I find that the Belgrave line past Ringwood is truly sketchy. Got mates who live up in the hills so I'll get the train up there so I can have a few beers.

Seen lots of shiftiness both on the train, at the stations. Never felt unsafe per se, but it is just low rent.

Mostly ice related to.

Belgrave line past Ringwood sure is shady. The further you go the worst it gets as well. Let's just say you'd be wary of your surroundings lol.

Belgrave line past Ringwood sure is shady. The further you go the worst it gets as well. Let's just say you'd be wary of your surroundings lol.

Yeah, I'm a relatively big - tall anyway - guy and I've been around a bit.

But when you're alone in a carriage with a very agitated ice freak who is screaming into a phone and punching the train walls, you start to get a bit worried.

It is real underclass stuff out there.

One thing I noticed is the real explosion in the number of homeless people in the CBD and inner suburbs. And people who are clearly living on the streets, like have set up makeshift beds and camps on city corners and the like.

You never used to see that. I can only presume cuts to services from the Abbott govt 1st budget have had a massive impact there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I noticed is the real explosion in the number of homeless people in the CBD and inner suburbs. And people who are clearly living on the streets, like have set up makeshift beds and camps on city corners and the like.

You never used to see that. I can only presume cuts to services from the Abbott govt 1st budget have had a massive impact there.
yeah what's up with this? i don't know if i just never noticed it before, but it feels like the number of people on the street has exploded in the last 12 months. even just being asked for change is way, way more common. and often from people who look at least one-rung up from sleeping on the street.

it's really unsettling and awful seeing blokes sleeping on swanston street. doesn't seem to get a whole lot of media traction either.

Yeah, I'm a relatively big - tall anyway - guy and I've been around a bit.

But when you're alone in a carriage with a very agitated ice freak who is screaming into a phone and punching the train walls, you start to get a bit worried.

It is real underclass stuff out there.
Lilydale Line past Ringwood is 'interesting' too.

Mate from uni is from out that way and he's witnessed some very unsavoury things at Croydon and Moroolbark.

There's not really much that goes on at Croydon. Couple of harmless "lads", same goes for Mooroolbark. PSOs certainly help.

Not so sure about Lilydale though.

Ahh good old burnt st lol!!!
Mate, it is an absolute shithole. Worked there the other week. At one end it stunk like urine, the other end it smelt like curry spices and BO, with a subtle hint of McDonald's fumes that were coming from Springvale Road.

There were dead pigeons and possums everywhere, syringes, rubbish and bottles and believe it or not I even saw a human turd (I knew it was a human turd because it was on a roof and there was toilet paper with s**t all over it next to it).

The units are so run down and the people look like they've just walked out of a war zone. The frontyards haven't been maintained in a good forty years I reckon. I actually had to walk through the grass in a front yard and ended up walking into a this big metal thing that was hidden under all this overgrown vegetation. I brushed some of it aside, turns out it out this big metal thing was actually a really old car. This bloke hadn't cut his lawns in so long it grew over his f***ing car.

When I finally got back to my car to leave this hell hole some junkie with a blood nose approached me and asked me for money. The scariest thing about this animal was he was wearing a pink Dora The Explorer tee shirt. Never will I set foot in that place again.

yeah what's up with this? i don't know if i just never noticed it before, but it feels like the number of people on the street has exploded in the last 12 months. even just being asked for change is way, way more common. and often from people who look at least one-rung up from sleeping on the street.

it's really unsettling and awful seeing blokes sleeping on swanston street. doesn't seem to get a whole lot of media traction either.

Being in the city everyday, I too have seen an explosion in homeless people, I thought I had just not noticed them before.

You usually see them set up their stuff in alleyway corners. Pretty depressing to see on a Monday morning(makes you appreciate life and what you have). Something seriously needs to be done.

Last edited:

Yeah, it is in the last year or two. I went to Europe for a year in October 2013 and when I got back it suddenly happened.

It is getting some media traction though.

Mate, it is an absolute shithole. Worked there the other week. At one end it stunk like urine, the other end it smelt like curry spices and BO, with a subtle hint of McDonald's fumes that were coming from Springvale Road.

There were dead pigeons and possums everywhere, syringes, rubbish and bottles and believe it or not I even saw a human turd (I knew it was a human turd because it was on a roof and there was toilet paper with s**t all over it next to it).

The units are so run down and the people look like they've just walked out of a war zone. The frontyards haven't been maintained in a good forty years I reckon. I actually had to walk through the grass in a front yard and ended up walking into a this big metal thing that was hidden under all this overgrown vegetation. I brushed some of it aside, turns out it out this big metal thing was actually a really old car. This bloke hadn't cut his lawns in so long it grew over his f***ing car.

When I finally got back to my car to leave this hell hole some junkie with a blood nose approached me and asked me for money. The scariest thing about this animal was he was wearing a pink Dora The Explorer tee shirt. Never will I set foot in that place again.

HAHAHAH oh man that's bad!! I'm not surprised at all. I've been past the area a fair few times now and it's been dodgy for years!! Lot of drugs there too.

Agree that Broadie is not as horrendous as it's reputation, though there are some dodgy pockets.

Olson place shops still have a pretty shifty feel about them. Once went there for some reason. Parked my car in a 1P zone and thought to myself "like hell am I gonna leave my car unattended for that long here"....

Ha ha Olson Place...so true. Broadie's equivalent of the old West Heidelberg Mall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back